Ovarian Cysts Community
Recovery after ovary removal surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Viewing 201-309 comments:
Hopefully my experience and suggestions can help the  women who are having a laparoscopy done for the first time, because i went in not knowing what to expect, and only wished I would have researched a little more.I'm 26 and just had a laparoscopy done on February 27, to remove a 13cm chocolate cyst that was on my right ovary. It was my first surgery so i was very nervous going in. When you come out of surgery and wake up from the anesthesia, you feel extremely cold, but those are the effects of the anesthesia, which I did not expect.Of course this may vary with every women, some may feel just a mild coldness in their body or extreme coldness (which was my case). I  also felt pain in my abdominal area and around the incisions, but the nurses usually give you pain medication as soon as you wake up which helps with the pain almost immediately. In my case the nurses made me pee, and that is when both the nurses and I realized that I had some bleeding,but they explained that this was normal as long as it wasn't blood clots. I went in to the  surgical room at 12:30pm and got out of the hospital to go home at 4:30pm. A couple of suggestions once you come out which I did and some i should have done;
*In the car take a pillow and place it between the seat belt and your stomach, this will help with any contact that might cause pain when breaking.  
*Try not to talk to much, because this will cause you to get more gas. The biggest pain I felt was the gas the day after surgery which was very painful. The pain from the gas sometimes resonates to your shoulders and ribs, which was my case, but I later learned that this is a common effect of the gas they fill your stomach with before surgery.
*Try to rest at least for two weeks., even though you feel ok you have to remember that inside your intestines are still tender. I originally was only going to take one week off from work, but my family convince me to take two, and I have found that it has helped me recuperate better with more rest.
*Walking around the house helps with the gases that might be bothering you, try drinking soda, perrier water, GAS X, and/or anything that will aid with gas.
*Don't be scare if you are bleeding like if you had your menstrual cycle, i learned that this is normal, as long as you do not bleed excessively, like fill up a pad every hour. In my case my bleeding was like my normal menstrual cycle.
*I have found that when you keep your incisions clean they heal a lot faster. I try to keep my incision cleans by rubbing alcohol with a cotton after I take a shower and before I go to sleep, and I also cover them with antibiotic cream such as Neosporin, so far my incision are healing great.
Now I have some questions that maybe someone can help me with, on Monday I go back to work, but i have notice that i get tired when I speak to much or walk a lot, I feel short of breath, is this normal?
Also, how long does it take for your insides to fully heal? I noticed that my incisions outside are already healing, but I don't know how my insides are healing.
Thank you to everyone who comments on this because it has helped me feel like there is help out there and that I am not alone, and hopefully I contributed just a little to other women. ^_^
Getting tired is very normal, your body is using a lot of energy to heal itself. Walking is good for circulation and getting rid of the gas, so keep doing it. I would recommend mid day naps when needed. It might not be practical at work, see how it goes or try asking if you can start off working part time until you have more energy.
I had laparotomy so I dont have any experience with the gas. Im guessing the bloating might affect your breathing though. Due to pain etc, I ended up breathing using only the top of my lungs by only extending the ribcage when breathing. If you are doing the same you need to focus on breathing into the stomach (take a deep breath and push your belly out as if you try to look pregnant). That way you use your lungs better and it may help the shortness of breath. If the problem continues or gets worse, you would probably have to see your doctor about it though.
It takes a lot longer for your insides to heal, although laparoscopy doesnt mess with as much as laparotomy. For laparotomy I was told it would take 6 months before I was fully healed, but I would be more or less back to normal after 3 months. I would say you should expect to feel like you are back to normal in a month or maybe two, but take it easy and dont strain yourself too much for 3 months or so. Consult your doctor if you are in doubt.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
as a female having such kind of disease is frustrating every second of my life ,6 years ago , i had observed  excess hair on my cheeks and on my  hands and on breast.  so i went to doctor for testing immediately and having medicine for hormones since past 6 years .

want to know the best doctor who cures my disease :
1) Ovary cyst
2) hormones problems( excess hair on my body.)

Please revert on me my mail id :  ***@****

please help me out ......
Regards,
Sunny
it doesnt cause you to lose intimacy. It my cause dryness just had this surgery in dec of 2011 and I only regret that I didn't have both ovaries removed
hi, read your post and can so relate. i have been scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks i have a cyst on my right ovary that is 13cmx12.7x12.5 and a 6cm one an my left side. they are going to try to take both of them and the ovaries via laproscopic, but because of the size of it they might not be able to. i am a small as well and it has given me bad side aches, it totally feels like i am bloated all the time. hopefully recovery time is not any longer because of the size, just which surgery is required
Im 45 years old and when I was 17 I had a cyst by the time they operated it was a tumor. It was non cancerous, but it was between 5 to 6 inches . They had to remove one of my ovaries, since the tumor was wrapped with it. Recovery was back then 4 to 6 weeks and was done as a C section. I remember worrying if i would be able to have any kids and i have to admit it did take some time but in the end I was able to have 2 kids with my other ovary and my kids are today 21 and 23 years old.I remember that after having the tumor removed I would still have some pain. I learned that when a part of your internal is taken out your body builds tissue scars. The tissue scars would go crazy and wrap themselves with my uterus causing pain. I have to tell you that in total I had 5 laparoscopic procedures in which are and were done as outpatient procedures. I was told back then that i should not have any more laporoscopic procedures, that i would need my uterus (hysterectomy done) but back then if i did that they would have taken out everyting and today they at least leave you with your other ovary if its good. I think my fear was of not wanting to take hormones, i heard of all the side affects they did and still do. So today I find myself with pain as if i were a teenager, massive bleeding and Im prepairing myself for that hysterectomy that i have prolonged for such a long time. Realize I did not endure pain that long not until now when my body is again reacting, so if your in such pain dont wait, listen to your body after a while you will know how to read it better than anyone. Tell your doctors those details that alarm you, don't hold back and expect an answer. It's incredible how medicine changes. Good Luck ladies, hope this helps !!
I had a dermoid cyst removed today it is very painful but im glad i had it out. I had my op through keyhole for roughly 2 hours. I had to have a bloodbag which was in for 6 hours for the blood to be drained around my ovary. Before the operation they wasnt sure if they could save my ovary but they did it was a bit oozy after the op i woke up shaking because i was cold and was sick as soon as i was back on the ward the first few times i got up i felt faint but i didnt faint. I had anti-sickness fluid injected into me through my canister/tube. Im not going to lie that did sting! I wasnt in my comfort zone either because this is my first operation and im only 19. Ive been having trouble with ovarian cysts for 6 years! Hoped this helped!x
Hello courageous, beautiful women,
About 11 days ago, I had my second ovarian torsion on my right side.  This time, I had a 6 inch dermoid cystic tumour so I also had a partial oophorectomy.  I have experienced a gauntlet of emotions, ranging from anger to bliss.  The onset of my symptoms and recovery have been much more painful physically than my first torsion.  No one seems to have any answers to my questions; in fact, one nurse told me it's like how sometimes it hurts when we have our period and other times it doesn't: there's simply no reason.  I know my own body better than that; I know there is a reason but I haven't learned it just yet.  What I do know is this: I'm going to weather this just as I do any other challenge: with hope & optimism, while asking lots and lots of questions .  I have read through the posts on this page and you are all so brave and so strong.  I'm grateful to all of you for sharing your stories and I want you to know that you inspire me to trust in my own strength.  Sending love and healing thoughts to you and your families xo
Hi, I'm Stevie and having read most peoples stories I feel like somewhat of an anomaly due to the very young age. I was rushed in for emergency surgery at 14 having developed and been entirely unaware of 10x11x12cm cyst on my right ovary. The cyst had no only developed to such a size but had twisted around the ovary cutting off all blood supply, due to this the ovary died proceeded to turn gangrene and began   blood poisoning. The surgery took up to 8 hours and when I came round I don't think I'd felt in more pain. I'd love to say it's all in the past now as I'm nearing 20, but thats far from the truth. Since the operation I've lost the vigour I had I developed postoperative fatigue which has (without sounding like a cliche or being deemed lazy) developed into chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't let it hold me back, I' currently in uni studying psychology and neuroscience and work 25hrs a week in a pub but it is definitely a struggle and has been since the operation.  
i had a pain in my right side and when they went in and seen it was a bunch of cycst they sai the overies had to come out i had to have a hysterectomy 13 years ago when they tryed to take them they were fused to my bowel i have to wait 6 weeks for my visit to see if they were the bad kind i am having short stapping pains in side i think its were mt stiches i may of over done it bue so hard not to with family hate asking any one to do any thing is this pain norm
OMG...I hope everything went well and you are 100% healthy!  I feel soooo much better reading these posts.  My situation is similar although Dr. says it is fluid filled 8cm cyst on right ovary.  Trouble is I have endometriosis, always had issues with bad periods, and have been on fertility drugs in the past.  I am convinced I have cancer!  I don't know who to talk to since no one can say it is not cancer, not until my laproscopy which is a week away and I am in misery dwelling on this every minute I am awake!
Good for you...positive thoughts are key!  I am having a laprascopy next Friday for an 8 cm cyst on RT ovary.  I am scared and sick...so nervous it is cancer ;( So I will take my own advice as well. Be Positive, Have Faith and remember to smile when scared!
I am 54 years old have been told I have a 5.9 cm right ovary mass with a 4.4 simple cyst inside it and it is solid and cystic. They want to operate i am going for second opinion I still have my period. i am so scared of cancer. I am going to have another untrasound of pelic and vaginal, do these things go away or is it really necesssary for surgery? I have no pain.
I have two cysts on both of my ovaries so a total of four cysts. I dont know what the doctor is going to do about them. But im 12 and my birthdate is july 3.the doctor had a bone age scan on me because I have scoliosis to and my bone age scan results said that I am growing like a 15 year old. I am also diabetic and my family has all had cancer. My grandmother died from lung and breast cancer my dads mom died from cancer my dads sister is suffering from ovarian cancer. And my dad died he got murdered december 1. My carbon dioxide is also low in my body and so is my blood because I am hypoglycemic.alot of stuff has happened and I dont really know what the doctor is going to do about it.
I am also new to this site. I have a cyst on both of my ovaries, and the right is the size of a grape and its leaking fludin in my uterus. I am in pain all the time and even after my period is off. Dr. is doing a CT on tomorrow to get the actual size. What are the chances of me having surgery. I want them removed because I am also paralyzed from the waist down sue to car accident, and transporting my wheelchair in and out the car makes the pain hurt more. I did a pap on yesterday and my cervix was closed and it was the worst pap I have ever experienced. PLEASE HELP!!!!
I had similar symptoms back in 2010. Whenever I used to menstruate, I had terrible pain (lower abdomen, back, right shoulder) and I could not take it anymore as no pain tablet could stop this pain. The whole body (right side) felt paralyzed whenever I menstruated. I started to have very abnormal bleeding (with clots and heavy flow), something I never knew my entire life. I was only used to heavy pain. I visited my gyn who recommended to have uterus removed without even doing a scan or anything. He said that I should thank God for already having two children and should go ahead removing the uterus. I was not so keen on what I heard and consulted another gynae who did a scan and discovered ovarian cysts on my right ovary. He immediately scheduled me for an operation and removed the right ovary and tube because it was damaged by the cyst damaged it. I had a C-section (already had two with my children). After ovary and tube removal, I recovered in four weeks time- I felt exhausted, could do the chores and heavy activities I was used to. Bedrest was recommended by my gyn. My strength came back after almost six months after surgery. The only bad thing I experience after this operation, is peri-menopause therefore I am on HRT which I do not like very much because my weight never reduces though I exercise and eat balanced meals. Can anyone think of a natural way to maintain normal estrogen levels after removal of one ovary?
How did your surgery go? I am in the same situation. I'm 34, plans to get married soon, I have no children and am in the same situaion.  I have a 4cm complex mass on my left ovary, part cyst part tumor.  I've been through the same emotions.  Concerns about cancer and fearing I will not beable to concieve (conceive) a biological child.  
Hi.. do u still can feel stiff at ur shoulder and neck after surgery? if yes for how long? how are u now? everything ok? because i'm just had my surgery done cause of dermoid cyst, now i'm also feel my shoulder stiff.
I LOVE THIS PLACE!  I think an earlier post said the pain you are feeling is from gas...even around your shoulders and neck...I guess they fill you with gas during the surgery?  And it will pass... I havent had my surgery yet...24th, and I am very nervous.  I have a 5cm dermoid on the right ovary and a 2cm complex cyst on the left...they are taking my right ovary and falopian tube, but I am 43 and done having kids...she said if I wanted more children, greater efforts would be made to save the ovary...I have read about people that have had no trouble at all having children after losing an ovary....I have not had much pain...occasional stabbing in the lower pelvis...but the bloating and pain in my upper abdomin (abdomen) are killing me!!!  Has anyone else had this kind of discomfort?  I feel like someone pumped me full of air!  Can't wait to get this out!  The cancer scare is always there, as they never know for sure until it is tested...and the worrying ***** :( I feel so sorry for everybody here.  Didnt realize how many people suffer from this type of emotional and sometimes physical pain....God Bless you all...and thank you for your posts...they have helped me through this more than you know...
I am due to have surgery on 2nd May, for right ovary to be removed as have 2 complex cysts on there. Lower back pain on right hand side is awful. Following previous surgery, I discovered I have never had a left ovary (though have 2 beautiful children), and would like advice on HRT, as at 36, I am considered quite young for this. Also, any advice on recovery time would be good, am due to have the by procedure by laprascopy but will have full surgery if this proves necessary. Thanks
Hi I'm jennifer I just had my surgery last tuesday and they took my left ovary. I had a son but first baby was no problem at all. Until my husband died and had a new husband who is only son. We tried so much to have a kid for 2 yrs but not happening so finally they found out that i had problem on my left ovary. thank god all went well now i am still on a recovery moment so I wish things will go well and soon to have kids with my husband. I hope u feel good now and let me know whats new with you. I am Jennifer from australia.
HI ALL..... I have been told today I need to remove my left ovary to reduce the risk of reaccurance of having surgery every year... This is my third procedure since 2009... My last surgeon removed a 11cm cysts from my left ovary but they made a decision at the time not to remove my ovary as both my ovaries are healthy... I recently had my blood check CA125 and the results were normal and both my ovaries are working normal and producing eggs... The gyno suggests that because I just turned 36 I shouldn't suffer from hardly any side affects but I am not to sure, especially after doing my research on the net... Any advice from anyone would be gratefully appreciated.,.. What are the normal recovery period... I am really scared and worried about having surgery again as before my second surgery I went into shock but luckily I am OK and later on arranged to have surgery months later.  Thank you for taking time to reading my post.... Wish all you lovely women a quick and healthy recovery.... Thank You
I had the same surgery done, I also had my left ovary taken out, due to a cyst over 1 year ago, it took me all of 3 months to be able to go back to work and to do regular functions, walking is a must, but at your own pace, climbing stairs at a moderate level, no picking up heavy objects at all for at least 3 months. Advise you doctor of your pains.  Everyone heals differently, you must give yourself time to heal, there are ways to get up from sitting or laying down, your uterus is sensitive right now, be patient and give yourself  time to heal.
i just operated last Nov 2011 my two ovaries were remove and im  single. pls help i want to have my child of mind is this any solution for my problem pls help me
seeing how you are doing? I popped on this site... 1 month ago today i had a large tumor removed along with the right ovary it was attached to.  I had no idea.  I had symptoms but all were explainable... I didn't feel something was right, but then again i have never been a post menopausal woman nor 50 years old.  It was huge.  it was 26 lbs. after they removed 3 liters of fluid.  The first day they had kinda written me off... it looked like ovarian cancer, it was so large i had a quarter amount of space by my spleen.  had a horth to south cut due to the size.  . OMG the pictures are ... just disgusting-it's like this big roast was inside me?? I immediatley was down 18 lbs.  I never could understand the weight gain.  I am still recovering... takes time.  but am sooooo grateful it was not cancerous. I have my family!! and i;m now an avid ovarian cancer supporter.  i stayed in the oncology ward for a week... i was the only one that was going to live... they all said "congratulations" to my husband as if he just had a baby.  these are moments that are unforgetable and this came so sudden.  it had a growth spurt which reached a point of --THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE it's not about having a bad lower back, being bloated or putting on wt due to being 50, it's not about just being tired "because I'm 50" too--- I don't know my genetics as I'm adopted. so clueless I am as far as what runs in my genes.  26 lbs. before they removed 3 liters of fluid! it's crazy.... it is surreal.... and i'm here, thank you God I'll see my sons get married.  And gratefully, immediately, unbelievably back to my old size 6 (that's a plus-but LIFE is better.. despite this horrible economy in the us were in..).good luck, praying for all... not enough awareness out there about ovarian tumors, cysts, ovarian CANCER; no wonder they call it "the silent killer".  keep hope and strength brave women out there! thanks for letting me vent...:) gratitude today.
i had both my ovaries removed at the age of 21 and now its been 8 years without my periods.its like instant menopause.is it true that early removal of ovaries leds to dementia.

ajrc1402
i am 50 years in age . June of 2011 i had a 6 cm cyst removed laproscopic and by august of 2011 i had another 4cm cyst .now it is almost june 2012 and going for the removel (removal) of a 6x3x6 cm cyst and ovary removed. Hello i am 50 what good is that ovary good for ? had hystorectomy in 2005. well now that i am have the ovary and cyst removed by my gyno. i also have a general surgeon doing surgery on my bowel i have sigmoid adhesions that attached to my intestine wall or should i say scar tissue. has there been anyone else gone thru this?
I'm 43 years old. I ride motorcycles, I went to bike week 2012 in myrtle beach, sc.  On my second morning of being there, I had terrible pain in my lower left side of stomach. the females in my group said it was gas because we had just finished eating breakfast.  I laid around a little while until I was barely able to walk i had to have somone dress me and help me to my vechile to go to emergency room.  I was at grand Strand Hospital.  I was so humiliated at the doctor that treated me.  he took me through so many changes. he went from asking me if i had unprotected sex, to did the condom break, to did i come to s.c. like this, was i really in pain, did i have sex with anyone upon my second day of being in s.c. He did pelvic exam which i informed him that my uterus was to far back to be reached while sitting on the bottom side of a bed pan and a duck mouth spectular that were to small. He then in turn did a pelvic hand exam that was when he decided that he couldn't find what was wrong with me and decided to turn this over to ob gyn specialist who knew right off the back to do an ultra sound and ct scan to find out that i had a mass of 9cm torsion ovrian mass that was twisted and had cut off  all circulation to the ovary which i had to have emergency surgery to have ovaryand mass removed.  i'm back at work after 7 days of being on vacation. that i never really enjoyed but praise god i'm still living cause i could have not been here.  I would like to say thanks to Dr. Tracy D. nelson and  Associate who did the surgery.  Still sore but Smiling to be alive in VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi i just had laparotomy two weeks ago.. for me the pain wasn't consistent i had pain on my right side but it would go away. one of the nurses at my job told me i was ovulating. i would think to myself wow it hurts like i didn't have cramps this bad during my period.. so then 3 days before surgery were miserable i was in pain.. i could barely walk and i couldn't have a bowel movement that's when i got scared and realized there is something wrong.. so i made a doctors appointment for Friday afternoon.. well i didn't make it the night before i was just twisting and turning the whole night.. so i woke up and was going to get ready.. but i couldn't bear the pain anymore this time it came strong and a sharp pain like never before. i was taken to emergency there they asked me questions trying to figure out what was wrong.  they gave me pain medication and took an ultrasound but said they couldn't see anything.. they wanted a urine sample well i couldn't urinate.. so they put another liter of water through my iv oh that's when the pain came again i couldn't bear it and they tried taking another ultrasound man i thought my insides were going to erupt. so by then they ruled out of it being  appendicitis. they sent me to get a cat-scan that didn't help much. so they did another ultrasound and finally it came out to be a 8cm cyst on my right ovary. the gynecologist came in and explained to me the procedure that he had to remove my ovary since the cyst was tied around it and it had already cut blood supply to it so he couldn't save it. the nurse gave me a catheter  by 830pm i was out of surgery.. i was in my room by ten the anesthesia had weared off i was in pain.. the nurse gave me medication that helped alot.. my main concern was to urinate since i couldn't before surgery.. but thank god i did. next morning i was released from the hospital.. my first days were painful of course but it did get better by day. im still sore and in pain but its only been 2 weeks.. i do recommend lots of rest and just take your time to do things.. walking helps for circulation. the dr gave me 4-6 weeks to go back to work..my incision looks like its healing pretty good. im just worried since im still having pain inside.
I am now petrified.  I recently found out that I have biladeral ovarian cysts, though to be dermoids (one on each ovary) and that I will need to get them removed.  When we first found them they originally thought they were 4 and 6cms only, but after the MRI my doctor is thinking they are more like 7 and 9cm large.  We originally had thought we would be able to do it laproscopiclly, however, my doctor now said since they are so large that they may need to do open surgery if they are too large to remove.  I am so nervous that I will have to get my ovaries removed as well, as it sounds like many women on this site have had to have this done, but I am only 23 and do want to have kids.  Has anyone else on here also had cysts this large and have them remove without having to touch either ovaries? Also at this size were they able to do it laproscoically? Please let me know! Thanks
I am having the same thoughts and know what you going through. I am 28 and will have my operation for 5cm ovarian cyst in 3 weeks. I regret going and reading all these messages, but they were all bigger and no one knows. My gynae told me that you would never know and that yes, I have heard from plenty of friend's - friends who has had the cyst laproscoically removed, bigger than mine and no ovaries had to be removed & you will always have one more ovary if not both removed, so do not think about the "I may not be able to have children part", if you loook up you will even see someones ovary grew back. good luck!
I had my left ovary removed three weeks ago,Dr tried to do it with laparascopically but had to make a vertical incision too,as he said I had scar tissue from prior surgeries. I'm wondering why he went in on my right side when he was removing my ovary on the left side? I'm still in a lot of pain,the Dr. was very evasive when I asked him. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I am 36 years old have a hemmoragic cyst on my left ovary.  I have been having pain pretty consistently since May, sometimes it is worse than others, but it is always there letting me know that it has not gone away.  I have always had some pain in my left side or so it seems for the last couple of years.  I also have had a lot of pelvic pain/pressure and vaginal pain.  I was told before it was maybe PID, even though I have never had an STD.  (Most with PID developed from having a STD at some point, or so I was told.)  I have had multiple pelvic ultrasounds in the past and have had small cysts in the past, but nothing that I was told to be concerned about.

With this one however, it has been very painful and my dr informed me that it was a little bigger than golf ball size and was blood filled.  He recommended follow up in 6 weeks, which I did.  Still after 6 weeks, I was still/an in pain and he recommended removal of both ovaries and obviously the cyst.  He also recommended a blood test called Ova 1, fairly new, but more accurate than the CA 125.  I had that done and came back with the result of a 3.9.  This test is done prior to surgery to decided whether or not a possible oncologist is needed to assist or due the surgery.  It is graded I guess you could say on a 1-10 scale.  Anything under a 5, the cyst /mass is less likely cancerous and as you go higher, the chance increases.

I should say also that my mom passed away from Ovarian Cancer at 53!  When she was diagnosed she was already in stage 3.  Her initial diagnosis was diverticulitis, which I noticed someone else had mentioned was their initial diagnosis.  My mom only made it a year and half. :(  I should also say that my first cousin who is now 43, was diagnosed about 2 years ago with Ovarian Cancer as well.  Her cancer was caught at the very beginning stage.  You can imagine my worries, fears, and concerns to hear that I have something on my ovary.

For those reasons, my dr thinks best thing is to have them removed.  I already have 4 wonderful children, 2 from my husband and 2 from an ex.  My husband and I had actually tried for almost 2 years to try for another and i was never able to conceive again.  I was told it was due to the cysts.  We are very happy though knowing we at least had 2 together before this happened.

I have also experienced at times, some sharp pains that have me bent over!  My GYN thinks that could be caused from the cyst leaking blood and my body trying to absorb it or that the ovary is possibly twisting.

I am very nervous about surgery!  I am scheduled for next Tuesday, the 17th. Even though I just had to have my gallbladder out this year as well .  (Also done laproscopically).  From that , I know some of what to expect with recovery, but every surgery is different.  I worry about whether there is scar tissue from that surgery which would then require my dr to open me up instead.   So many fears, concerns!  I know though that the best thing at least for me is to have them removed.  I wish everyone else going through this the best of luck!!    
Help.  Just found out dermoid cyst on left ovary has taken it over and ovary needs to be removed, in addition a tiny other  cysts are growing o t he uterus wall and next to this cystmand to top if all off I have 1 significant fibrroids and 2 others adding to the havoc of it all. Left side aches constantly, I look constantly bloated oh and did I mention the lower back pain on the left side? Ouuuch, constant ache.So I need to know are these symptoms all normal? I'm not very excited to hear about having this laparoscopic  syrgery and am wondering if anyone can clue me in if n fact this is my only choice.
Hello All,

I'm 36 years old and have a family history of fibroid tumors. My grandmother had her hysterectomy @ 36 and my mother had her complete hysterectomy @ 42.  Now, I just learned this past week that I have a very large mass on my left ovary (17cm x 16cm). I felt no symptoms until the beginning of this month (July).  I just had some pretty wicked pressure on the left, along with painful intercourse.

From what my Dr said, the ultrasound shows that it's a fluid/solid mass.

My concern, other than it not being cancerous, is having a mass that large, what kind of recovery time am I looking at??

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thank You!
I am 48 hours post-op (laparascopy) and had one left ovary with cyst removed.

The three small incisions really don't hurt at all at this point. I did experience that shoulder/chest/collarbone pain from the gas but that has mostly subsided at this point. I am definitely on the mend.

However, I am having significant pain on the right side of my abdomen all the way from my hair line to my ribs. When I press on my ribs, I feel a styrofoam or bubble feeling and its about a 3 on the pain scale. But the lower part of my right abdomen is very, very tender and sore about a 7.It is also swollen there but not near my incisions. I find this interesting since I had a left ovary removed, why would I be having so much pain and swelling on the right side? It is the only pain I have now when trying to get up or down. If it persists beyond today, I will call the doc but has anyone else experienced the styrofoam feeling or phantom pains?

Thanks again to everyone who shares their personal yet valuable information. I learn more here than from the doctors!

On the 7th July 12 I have the same pop and now my stomach is like 6month pregnant woman, did this happen to you? If so how did you get it your stomach back to normal.
Bless you, and thank God for life.... I love your spirit, it's a blessing to be alive
And keep riding your bike... In peace, in faith, loving life....Twinksmac
God is Faithful ladies, know that believe that, speak life I'll standing and believing for you that it's not cancer. I had my right ovary removed April 19, 2012, do what the doctor say do rest, and take it easy, matters not what your age is the fact it takes times for our body to heal inside. When I went back to the doctor for my week follow up, the pathologist report was back and it wasn't cancer, just fluid.. I never thought cancer and Im asking you to do the same have faith, I'm praying for all you ladies as you prepare for surgery.
God is Able.... Be Blessed..... :)
That is my concern.  Sudden menopause.  
Still recovering after surgery 2 weeks ago.  I had both ovaries including tubes and my umbilical cord removed due to endometriosis stromal sarcoma.  First time this cancer was found post hysterectomy surgery now some 10 years later reappeared in my belly button.  
I have been on HRT for approximately 8 years and have recently been informed that this particular cancer is estrogeon fed.  Therefore, obviously not able to take HRT.  
I am 50 soon and really worry about the sudden menopause stage I have probably got ahead of me.

Although thankful because cancer is not a short term problem.
Hello lovely ladies,

My name is Angela, and I'm from Upstate NY. Back in May I had an Ultrasound for Irregular Menses. Come to find out, they found a pelvic mass 17cm. SIze of a small "honey dew" melon. Now when I had an Ultrasounds back in January there was nothing it was normal. So they said the only option was sugery to remove it. I'm 30 years old, no children, and the only surgery I have had was my toncils out at 4. So needless to say Iam freaking out. I was sent for blood work and a CT scan the next day. CA-125 came back elevated at 80, but my doctor told me not to worry. And my CT looked the norm. They dont think its cancerous. But Iam a total hypocondriac, I always think the worst. I have surgery on Thursday. I work for the doctor who is doing the Robotic surgery. Im so scared. She seems to think I may be able to come back to work after two weeks, I hope so. Im so scared to go under as well, since Iam over weight. I dont want to die. So many emotions are going through my mind everyday. I just want it to be over, but I feel so weak and not strong willed. Maybe its just my mind? The plan is to do it robotically, and they think they can. I hope they dont have to open me up. UGH! The unknown is killing me. Any help, thoughts, suggestions ladies? Im a nervous wreck, and after reading all your stories, I dont think going back to work after a week or two is realistic? Please help this axious girl.

Thank you all so much!

Angela
Hi I am new to this site!  I am scheduled to have a laporotomy with one ovary removed on Sept 7.  I am really scared!!  I was wondering , those of you that have had this surgery done, how was your recovery?? How did you feel coming out of the surgery? I am pretty healthy, I am a runner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!! Xoxo
Hi you wonderful ladies.

What an amazing site to stumble across....  Just over 3 months ago I completed my yearly check-up (I'm in my 40's but deny that to anyone that I meet!).  They found fibroids and an ovarian cyst.  I went to see a female gynae Dr as I thought she would understand this better than any man.  Imagine my surprise when she told me the best thing to do was to remove everything!  No way....  I decided to look at my heath and food intake (I'm very active and play a lot of sport but I'm British so therefore drink a bit too much vino).  After 3 months the fibroids had reduced in size but the cyst was still there.

I had decided to go to a different Dr and ended up seeing an amazing guy who was very understanding.  I had the op to remove only the cyst last Wednesday.  Yes the pain from the gas..... that's definitely awful.  I was out of the hospital and back home in 2 days and up and about quite quickly.  In fact this evening I've just done an hours walk.

My only concern is that I have some bleeding, my periods aren't due for another 2 weeks and this started 5 days after surgery.  I'm guessing that it's just normal but would love to hear if anyone else experienced an early period?  If I don't hear from anyone then I'll just pop in to the Drs.

I know how lucky I have been to have found a great Dr and to be recovering so quickly, especially after reading so many stories on this site.

So to everyone lady out - look after yourself, get a second opinion if you don't like your first and always remember that you are beautiful.
I am 54 and just went through 3 weeks of agony.  I feel better hearing that you all survived your ordeals and it gives me hope.  I went in for a laproscopic ovary & 2.7 tumor removal 40 mins, instead I was vertically cut and 2 1/2 hours of surgery.  Like other ladies posted they found other masses and scar tissue.  In hospital 3 days and went home only to get a fever and have my incision explode and I bleed out while  using the toilet.   It blew up and popped open like a balloon.  I have never experienced this before and was scared.  Rushed to ER and told massive infection.  I have had 5 major surgeries and NEVER an infection.  What happened I would love to know.  They glued my incision and I don't recommend that for such a long 6 1/2 cm cut.  I am now on a wound vac for 2 weeks now.  After 8 days in the hospital and a PIC line (permanent IV) for 2 weeks, I am VERY blessed to be alive.  One of my friends did not survive her infection and died 4 days after her surgery at 55 yrs.  Your stories have helped me fight depression knowing that I and  not the only one really helps.
hi, i had a 16 cm chocolate cyst on my right ovary caused  by severe endometriosis removed 16 feb2012 this was done by abdominal surgery. had to take6 weeks off work and the recovery period was pretty hard going. just found out today 18 aug 2012 that it has returned measuring 12 cm. absolutely devastated. been told basicallyto have a hysterectomy, even though i have 2 children i still feel at 34 i am too young for this procedure, really scared of early menopause. doctors have been very cold and dont seem to understand my concerns. really stressed as i dont know what other options are available as chances the cyst will just return again if left untreated. help!!!!!!!!!
Hi i recently had the same surgery preformed right ovary removed and tube because they were stuck to my bladder and areas around there, its been 9 weeks since my surgery and im started to get pain on my sides and lower back ,did you feel the same at all, Debbie
The removal of my cyst was 22 years ago, but the pain, fear, emotion and recovery of it is more vivid than anything else.
I was 23, a fashion designer in Manhattan, and loving life. I went to the gym at 6 a.m. Daily, yet could never lose weight. In fact, people would ask me when I was expecting. It was humiliating!
Like everyone else who has posted, I would start walking and experiencing sharp pains. I would become short of breath and get light headed, however, I was in New York, in a high pressured job and had no time to be sick.
It all came to a head, when I started passing blood and passing out.
I was in 3 emergency rooms, who all told me I was stressed and needed to slow down. I don't remember what finally got me admitted to NYU, but it was 5 days before My tumour was diagnosed. I was told it was gastroenteritis and had to do numerous pregnancy tests. When it was finally diagnosed as a fibroid tumour, I was told it was over 25 pounds! Thank God it was benign. The doctors believe I had the tumour for 7 years, and if it ruptured the toxins would have been deadly.  I had an ovary and a tube removed, and was told that children may not be in my future. After the removal, I did feel like I lost a part of me an I took 3 months to learn to walk again. Needless to say, I did and my health has never been better.
Oh, and I have 3 beautiful children.
If you think there is something not right going on with you body, get help. If it continues, don't stop until you get the right treatment...before it's too late.
This was so helpful I'm 26 too and I just found out I have a 13.9cm cyst and will need to have it removed you just killed my fears and I appreciate it thank u soo much
thankgod your ok i'm really happy for you i feel alittle better knowing they can be wrong when they say it looks like it is cancer haven't set up my surgery yet but i will keep you in mind thank you for your story.
you can use natural eostrogen and progesterone cream x
Hi Nikki!

I suggest getting a second opinion. My ovarian cyst was 32cm long and they had to remove 6 litres of liquid. I had keyhole surgery because my cyst was benign which means instead of taking the cyst out whole they can pierce the cyst and then wait for it to deflate so that they can remove the rind of the cyst and stitch it up. Thereby also leaving your ovary intact. They do blood tests to find out whether the cyst is cancerous or not.
I had my surgery at the Lister Hospital with Dr. David Oram. He is amazing! The first doctor wanted to do massivie abdominal surgery and remove the entire cyst and ovary. Always get a second opinion and trust your instincts!
Thanks, Rachel, that was really uplifting :)
I sincerely hope you get opinions from other doctors. From what I have been told, cysts can form in different ways and in different types on the ovaries. They can often remove just the cyst and sometimes I think a partial ovary can be left. You might want to check and see if there is a gynecological oncologist in your area. They are highly specialized in this field and perform these surgeries all the time.
I wish you the best, good luck. (I just had this done )   :)
It was great reading every ones story and being able to relate.  I had my surgery from 2 ovarian masses.  They had to remove my left ovary because of the mass was so big.  I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and thankfully it turned to be benign, not cancerous. I never had symptoms related to this, but I was extremely bloated, had reoccurring fevers and constipation because the masses were pressing down on my bowel, so this was totally unexpected.  It has been 3 months since the surgery and doing better, but wish the scar from the surgery was not so visible.  I am grateful that I have been healing well.  Wishing that women would not have to go thru this and hoping that stay strong and positive!
this does help i'm having my left ovary removed on 9/27, and its about 13cm also i've very nreous but your story has just giving me strength.

thank you
debbie
@shellycag
YES! I am having the same type of feeling of bloating in my mid to upper abdomen. Diagnosed with only a 4cm cyst on right ovary in mid July. Still having almost continuous, stabbing & cramping pain, so followed up with my gyn today.  She said a cyst of this size should not be causing the pain I describe & is sending me for another sonogram.  That is next Wednesday. I am also concerned about ovarian cancer since bloating is one of the symptoms.  Dr said it is possibly just scar tissue, which they can do nothing about! Had vaginal partial hysterectomy in 1998 (still have both ovaries) & gallbladder removal (laparascopic) in 2008. I would hate to have to live with this pain the rest of my life!   Dr said if it's still just the cyst, it needs to come out since it's causing me pain.  I hope your pain has been resolved by now since your original post was in April.  Is there an update on how you are doing?
I have a similar story.  I have had pain for months.  Had a hysterectomy in Nov 2011, kept both ovaries. Now I have had pain since Aug 2nd from what seems like an ovarian cyst (5.1cm) but the GYN said it could be scar tissue causing the pain also. Waiting til Nov to see if the cyst shrinks. What stinks is that they can't see scar tissue without going in and looking and causing MORE scar tissue!!!
Thank you!
hi, im new to this forum, i have just been diagnosed with 5cm right ovary simple cyst. im terrified of being operated, i hate hospitals and doctors in general. thats since my daugter died in hospital of meningitis 9 months ago. i have date for my operation on 15 of november, i would of never go ahead with this if my mum wouldnt have an ovarian cancer when i was 18. she was diagnosed very late and lost her uterus, ovaries and everything else there.. , followed by chemo and all kind of nescessery treatments. i had the blood test today for marker (??) to check my risk of cancer cause of my mum's history. im very scared of aneastetics, would prefer to be awake, but apparently its not a normal procedure. im just paranoid i will never wake up again, want to add i have heart problems (atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia..) sounds quite scary and feels scary but its just heart arrythmia. they say it's very rare you die under the aneastetic, like 1 in 200 000 but it somehow doesnt make me feel better cause whats the risk that perfectly healthy 14 months old baby dies within 12 hours of contracting meningitis???? and she did! :(
  I know what your going thru..I just had that done to me...last Wednesday to be exact.  I had a cyst on my left ovary, and a cyst somewhere on the right side,which gave me bad side aches, and bloating everyday.  They thought it was my gallbladder, being on the left side and all.  But to make a long story short...I went in at 7am on Wednesday morning October 17,2012., was out and home by 1pm in the afternoon.
  I am recovering alright I guess?  Still shooting pains down where the ovary would still be..and some stinging around the incision areas...but nothing the pain medication can't take care of.  I am up and about, but still trying to rest another week and 2 days before I go back to work, thats for sure.
GOOD LUCK!
Hang in there it will be quick and you won't even notice a week has gone by already!
  I am having both ovaries and womb lining removed on Tue 6th Nov. I am  50. i am in remission from breast cancer and i also have epilepsy!
Will it be v.painful and how long do you think i should rest.

Anne  
Thank you that was very helpful
I just had both my ovaries removed on Nov 26 and I do have to say I had no pain at all. I just have three small incisions. I did experience a lot of gas and still very tired. I am trying to walk around the house as much as I can. Good luck
I had a my right ovary,a cyst,and my right tube removed November 27th 2012.Doctor said he noticed when taking out my right ovary that my left Ovary was close to my bladder and has little scar tissue but he left it in just in case I want  to have more children cause I am 26 yrs old.I ran a fever in the hospital for 3 days and a low grade the 1st week I was home and on Cipro.I have felt very different ever since the operation,like just sad and depressed.Then when I urinate everything down below is still a little sore and I am still bloated.Has anyone else experienced this before.Then my son and daughter have cold like symptoms that seem to have rubbed off on me.*****!
I'm so glad I found this forum! I am about to cry right now since I see this as a blessing but also too since I am in so much pain!!  

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis 2 yrs ago.  My Gyn thought I had Polyovarian Cyst Syndrome so he did a laparoscopy to see.  Well, my ovaries were glued together by scar tissue behind my uterus.  In the recovery area, I distinctly remember the dr saying, "It was a mess!"  I was still woozy but I heard the word Hysterectomy and almost lost it.  I did one shot of Lupron depot but couldnt do the other due to the high cost.  I did take progesterone tablets that dr prescribed to help with pain and try to decrease the endrometriosis.  Well, I went in the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2012 and had a pap smear.  Dr did a pelvic exam. The pelvic exam hurt more than the pap smear!!  He wanted me back for an ultrasound in 2 weeks.  I went back and he found a cyst.  It was the size of a tennis ball on my rt ovary.  Since it was the end of the year, I went ahead and had the laparoscopy to remove it.  That was on December 28th.  It is January 3 and I'm in SOOO MUCH PELVIC PAIN!!!  I read information about the gas so i knew that but this feels different than my last lap procedure.  I have sharp pains in my pelvic area, cold sweats and some pain when I pee.  I called my Dr on Monday Dec 31st to make an apptmt for yesterday (Wed jan 2nd).  I told her something is wrong and I needed to have him discuss my surgery pics.  I went in and he said that it may be an infection but to take my temp.  when i get home.  

I am overweight.  I weigh 350 lbs.  Dr said that he had difficulty operating with my size.  He wanted to remove Rt ovary and tube but it would have been major surgery and he would rather take it all out at the same time.  He thinks that a complete hysterectomy is down the line in 2 yrs if the cysts come back. I am just so scared since I have this pain.  I'm not sure if I should go back to work.  I only took off a few days since I thought I would be able to get back but now it looks like I wont be back to work until Monday, which is good since I dont want to go to work and have random shooting pain. My job is stressful enough.  Can anyone help me?  I dont know what to do.  Also, Dr said that they put interced gauze to soak up the chocolate liquid left behind by the endometroma cyst and so that my bowel wont be stuck to the site.  UGH.  Also, the ovary he wanted to remove, my rt ovary is stuck to my uterine wall.  PLEASE HELP!!  Is this pelvic pain normal?  Has anyone experience this before.

Thanks,
Hi my name is Mimi and at the age of 24 I had my uterus removed while being in labor with my baby girl who is now 4 yrs of age thank God. I thought it was the end of the world and was so depressed about the fact of me not being able to have more kids. Even though I have been blessed with two beautiful girls this still sometimes effects me emotionally. The hardest part is going through early menopause symptoms. Now the problem is that I just recently found out I have ovarian cyst and some are the size of an orange. I go to the doctor tomorrow to find out if I have to have surgery or not. Most likely I will because of the severe pain I have been filling. The part, that scares me is that after they remove my ovaries will it cause my hormornes/menopause symptoms to increase worse. My second worry is if sex will still be the same. Thank God I have a very loving and understanding husband who is by my side every step of the way but these are concerns that I have as me being the age of 28. My faith is always in God so I know he will carry me through and bring me out through any life circumstance and he will put no more on me then I can bare. I just would like to know has anyone went through this and did it change their hormones or sex drive. Please any advice about this would be helpful. Be blessed everyone :-)
After being rushed into hospital in October 2012 with tummy pain i ended up having dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary and since a week after the operation i have suffered with pain in my ribs and chest. They cut me in 5 places and one of the cuts is really big which was where they took the cyst out of. The pain i have now is under my ribs and in my chest, after 4 or 5 days of litterally lying still in hosopital the oain went, but i am now back at work and trying to get my life back together after such a traumatic experience. The doctors dont know what is causing the pain and the gynocology dept say they have done all they can and my GP knows nothing... i have had chest xrays and scans and everything they can think of. An ultar sound scan did show fluid around the ovar and it seems to come and go?? I am only 26 and my whole life has turned upside down and i cannot walk anywherre due to pain in my chest and pain when i breath. The doctors are now referring me to the chest dept because they dont know what else to suggest. I have been on Co-Codamol and even tramadol and this is all adding to me feeling very low and depressed, some days i just cry and cry because i cannot see an end to this nightmare and know one seems to be able to help me. Please, if anyone has been through the same - please please share your story X
I just had my 6cm chocolate cyst removed laproscopically last week. The first post almost describes my exact experience. After the surgery, i was told that the cyst was actually much bigger & around 3-4 times the size of my uterus & 5-6 times the size of my other right ovary. The biopsy report came & by God's grace, it wasn't cancerous. But due to the size of the cyst & the deep ingrowth, i apparently had internal bleeding & so they had to remove my Left ovary too. I am 28 & dont have kids yet. Its my 2nd week after the surgery but i still feel pain in my shoulders almost everyday. No substantial pain in my incisions. I have four holes/incitions that are healing well, atleast externally. I do get tired & out of breath. My husband just thinks i am lazy & walk very slowly when he goes for a walk for a few mins.(i am the one asking him to take me for a walk). Is this normal??? i mean the fatigue? & the slow walk??? Is it normal to have shoulder pain for so long???
Thanks in advance!
Thanks in advance!
Hang in the girl,you are very young to have had to experince this . I pray God will give you strenth and make you stronger. Much Love and Thank You for sharing you rstory.
I had a complete hysterectomy  at age 30 due to stage 4 endometriosis. I went on estrogen therapy and remained on it until age 60 and that was in the days when there was no way to measure how much estrogen a person required.  I'm fabulous, I'm 74 and look much younger according to others (thanks to the estrogen) very active and enjoying a wonderful life.  Luckily I had 2 children so, although I was horrified and scared of the surgery, it all turned out fine and I certainly never missed the periods lol.  Good luck to all of you.  Keep positive, if you have any fears pre or post surgery, don't hesistate to call your dr.  They'd be upset if you didn't.  
Im turning 50 this year and when I was 38 I ended up in the hospital 3 times in a row in one month. Back then they would say to me oh your just passing a kidney stone. Well the third time I went back in severe pain to the hospital this time I told the dr that there is something wrong with me find out what it is because I can not stay in a hospital Im a single mother and my children need me. Well low and behold this dr took me seriously and found a dermoid tumor the size for a grapefriut, He said it had hair, brain and teeth matter in it, They said they could not tell if it was cancerous or not at this point. Well 5 days later I was in the hospital having my tumor removed. When I woke up in the recovery room, I was chilled to the bone, extremely cold actually shaking and bouncing on the recovery room cot. This is a side effect of Anesthetic which no one told me about. Then the dr left about 8 inches of what looked like to me as fishing line, but it was the stitching that they used which I was told would dissolve in about 2 weeks which they did. I was on tylenol 3's in bad pain for about 2 weeks, with some discomfort for gas. But one thing they did not tell me was that when you have a part of your body organ removed, the nerve endings that were attached to my falopian tube and ovary were looking for them. The pain was imense at times, this is when the scar tissue develops sealing the nerve endings. So to me it was like part of my body was mourning the loss of its part as it is no longer there. I had 2 c-sections prior to this and they were a breeze for me. No problems and very little pain. But for some reason this one really knocked me out. So I am not saying this to scare people, Im telling my story so others can relate. It does take time to heal, you do get tired easier than everyone else. But they have not had surgery you have. About 4 months after my surgery I was like oh my gosh, this is what it is like to wake up and have no pain. I feel normal again, I was in pain for 10 yrs before they found my tumor. The most important thing I can say is make sure you have family and friends to help you recover, and be there for you. It will make your healing process faster and easier.
I'm 15  years old and had a 10 cm fluid filled cyst on my right ovary removed. I've been in pain for a while but I just sucked it up and carried on. I went to school and soccer with the pain. Some days I had to sit out of soccer because the pain was so bad. This horrible pain happens sometime before I menstruate. I thought it was just cramps so I didn't say anything about it. However, yesterday I was at a sleepover and I woke up at around 8:30 am. I was fine and laughing and then at around 9 something I started to feel nauseated and the pain in my right side was really bad. I am currently on my period btw. I went home and got sick in the toilette twice. My mom decided to take me to a child's hospital cause the pain was so bad. I spent all day yesterday in a room waiting for my ultrasound. When I finally had it, it revelled a 10 cm cyst. It was so big that it covered my appendix and at first they couldn't find it. I was going to have to surgery in the morning or afternoon, but the cyst twisted and it really hurt so they decided to call in the team. I went in for surgery around 1 something and I woke up in recovery at 2:47. They told me to rest for a little bit longer so at three I went back to my room where my mom was waiting. I have two small insicions on both of my sides and had a camera in my belly button. The pain was all gone and I was relived. When I woke up in the morning I was a bit sore but that's all. I went home that day and just layed on the couch. I went to sleep and it's now 5:11 am and I feel really stiff and sore.
I had surgery a month ago right ovary removed with traces of borderline ovarian so now I had make an appointment for an oncology doctor. He is scheduling another cat scan & blood work, I then am gonna be scheduled for the removal of my left ovary. I am nervous but what can I do nothing except hope & pray for the best...Any similiar stories to share????
Do you know if they do any stitching on the inside after removing organs? I had a mass the size of a golf ball on my right ovary. I had a lot of scarring so they removed the ovary and my tube also. Its been about 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm moving around much better and attempted sex with my fiance. He said he felt something sharp on my right like stitches  he never felt before. Do any of u guys know?
If you just had the surgery, it could be the gas that they use to inflate your abdomen leaving your body. They told me it leaves through the skin and often causes shoulder or chest pain in the first 24 hours.
I'm single no childre. I want children/ child some day. I can have only by Artificial Insimination only now. I have my right Ovary and Utarus. I bleed for 4months then stopped with the 1st surgery, I actually missed a period, took test, negative, then I got the pain. 2cd sugery, I did not bleed after at all. Why not?

I am having pain still, along with a very uncomfortable coldness feeling  through-out my stomach and it has only been 3weeks since my left fallopian tube was removed. and 3months after my right Fallopian and right ovary was removed. I had a very odd pain in my stomach and the dr just gave me morphiene pills and sent me home and stated that I'll feel some pain but it'll go away and well 8 hours later, I went in and they had to do an emergency surgery on me. They left Gauz in up around my utaris and a broken cathader was still in me when I went back in because of pain a few days after the surgery. This was in Arizona, Scottsdale Hospiyal for the first emergency surgery and then I came back to Ohio and the 2cd surgery had taken place a few months after the first one. I was in pain and a male dr checked me out and he barely touched me and so a female nurse and female dr came in and checked me and boy did she hit the spot that hurt, then they kept me and then the next morning , I had the surgery. Well, when I woke up, I heard them working on me telling me to breath, it was like so many voices that sounded like they were from a faint distance, then and all I could here is like the vices getting closer and closer and I remember seeing all white and still nothing then I finally started to breath slowly after my eyes opened and I remember somebody, a guys voice telling me "breath girl, come on, I know you can do it, your strong' then I hear a women saying I thought we lost you. We need you to open your eyes all the way, and when I tried to speak, I couldn't. I was so tired and closed my eyes and then I woke up in the room with these things all hooked to me and a breathing thing up my nose. I was confussed and had to urinate very badly. So, I was in there for 4 1/2 days total, not including the day I went in. Now it's been 3 weeks since then, They proscibbed me meds for pain that I'm allergic to and I didn't realize until after I had taken them, I started to feel short of breath, heaviness in chest, pain and numbness in upper body and my voice instintly left and was scratchy. I made myself vomit and drank milk.Repeatedly. I slept the first two weeks I was home. I felt week. and now I'm feeling this uncomfortable cold feeling in my stomach along with a numbness in my left leg that comes and goes. I've gotten a cold or some thing that hit me very badly for a week so I missed my follow up. What do I do? I've made another apt.  I'm very tired stil, will, my stomack ever go away? It was flat.
Just had a laporotomy last Monday. I never had surgery before, but this went pretty well. I went in for a pap, and the doctor felt something. I ended up having both kinds of ultra sounds, and a ct scan. They found a 20x15x10 cm mass on my left ovary. They weren't sure they could save my ovary. Went in Monday, and I remembered being wheeled into the operating room. I blinked, and I found myself just being wheeled into my new room, post- op. During the surgery, it turns out that in addition to that huge mass (I had no symptoms really), I had two more smaller cysts. Luckily my right side wasn't affected. They were also able to save my ovary, which astonished me, given the size. I had pretty much kissed it goodbye. Other than being really sore, I didn't really use my morphine pump, or the Vicodin. Motrine's all I've been using. Still waiting for the annoying swelling over my incision to go down. I miss taking my long walks, but I still feel gravity pulling on my incision if I stand for too long. Hopefully I'll be ready for shorts by summer.
My entire life I have suffered with PCOS (I'm now 36). The only way I would get a cycle would be to take Provera but wasnt able to get pregnant. After many test and doctors visit's it was determined I had a large tumor on my right ovary. I had my right ovary removed 6 days ago. I returned back to work 3 days after my surgery. I've had some pain and discomfort but nothing I cant handle. I have my follow up in 2 days and I'm hoping I hear good news. I think every woman deserves a chance to be a mother. I keep praying that my time will come! Good luck to everyone!
What a coincidence Ihad laproscopy surgry to remove cyst from my left and right ovaries. I am currenntly experiencing pain in my incisions that feel like someone is stabbing me in my incisions. My surgery was done on April 30, 2013. I'm going to make an appoitment with my doctor.
do you still feel a little bite of hurt into your ovary? im came from surgery ovarian csyt also last november 29 2011
Hey i am Alona, i have  the same situation like you i am 35 i just remove cyst 4 cm r.overy. Dont worry about cancer, if these is your first operation, your are fine .Yes they predict also for me that its can be cancer, because till now, no other doctor cant say why is the cyst is appear. 4cm is good time to remove it, if you wait more, its will be problem for your ovary, and as you see same comments, its cost to remove the ovary to. My cyst when they open was fine, no infection in side, i ask the doctor why did its happen, the answer was i dont know. Its heal normally, i have cosmetic surgery, its like 2 hole, you cant see stitches at all, i was waking the next day, i stop my pain peals after 3 day, i still have a little pain, but its better to feel it, then you dont do extra movement what you should not do. You can not run, ore cary any heavy staf at list for one week you need to be very slow. If you planning to have a babe, ask them to make microscopic surgery for you to, what is that: it is every think in side that is not ok, ore not look right they will remove and correct it, for you to get pragment and have a children.
Ok i hoop its will help
That was awesome Grace. I'm a little scared. I have a 17 cm cyst on right ovary. It feels like its grown even since last week when they found it. I recently turned 40 and quit smoking a year and a half ago and thought I was peri menopausal and getting fat. You post made me laugh, cry ect. I look 6 mos pregnant. I go to doc mon and should have some kind of surgery next week. Good luck to u and me. ;)
I am 29 and I was diagnosed with an ovarian Cyst (still no clue what kind!) on my Left Ovary, It was something 7.3cm (x?cmx?cm). I was asked to come in for urgent surgery within 4 days of the diagnosis and Ultrasound. I had just returned from literally across the globe and was so terribly jet lagged even until I was wheeled into the OR. In the OR, the doc made a Laparoscopic incision near my belly button and found out that it was TWO cysts (still no clue what kind!) one from each ovary. So the doc made a 6" incision (like a little bigger than the C-Section) and took them out and managed to save my ovaries. I want to have children, so Thank God !
Post surgery, I am still healing, in pain on and off but the most troubling part is the gas and the poop! . They just seem to avoid coming out at all the wrong times and especially shy when you are in pain and really want them out. I am having prune juice (full cups) three times a day and also Colace 3 times a day along with my pain meds Vicodin also around 3 times a day. I want to desperately get back to my normal life, school and job. But I am not sure how long that is going to take !? It is just a week and I know I must rest and heal for at least a month !? its been a week and I am craving Chocolates, Bagels and Cream Cheese and Spices so so much now!
Hello. I am 26 and was diagnosed with an ovarian cystic mass on my left ovary. I am scheduled for surgery tmrw, and I am having a mixture of emotions. I was told the cystic structure measured 8.6, and was compared to the size of an orange. The doctor told me they will have to remove the whole left ovary. Do u know if this is normal? I have heard of some people being able to have theirs saved. The doctor stated that the chances of having kids will only decrease by 25%. I would like to get some feed back from u, as well as others who can relate to my situation. Thank you.
The removal of a cyst can vary from person to person.  It also has to do with where the cyst is located on/in the ovary.  As for having children, I do know of several people who have had to have an ovary removed and still had several children. I hope that all went well with your surgery!
wow these posts really helped. im a 27 yr old mum of 2 when i had surgery on Friday 13th (i know unlucky) i didnt expect to be in so much pain after but little did i know i was allergic to morphine so woke up screaming and shaking.... i am now in my 4th week of recovery and have and infection on both the laparoscopy and abdomen incisions. im on metronidazole and co-amoxiclav since last week and these tabs are sending me loopy (kind of like it) lol hope everyone has a speedy recovery who have had it recently. how long does it take for the swelling to go down?
I had an Emergency Ovarian Cyst removal Friday night...I still feel horrible...I haven't did #2 yet..& really pass gas:0( idk what too do
colace works wonderful, high fiber and grain diet, lots of fluids and walking if possible
Hello all. I am 27yrs old with no children yet. I do want them. The cyst is filled with complex fluids and is 23cm long and wide. What am I to expect? I am scared. No symptoms it was found during my annual exam....
Did your pain ever go away? I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago but they left my left ovary. I had emergency surgery  almost 4 weeks ago because my left ovary was twisted ( ovary torsion) it was excruciating. The surgery went fine but I still have this horrible pain on my right side between my belly button incision & my right side incision. They pulled my ovary out the right side incision. My incisions healed fine. The pain is on the inside. I've had a CT scan & they say everything looks fine. The pain gets worse through out the day & that area swells up.  I'm hoping someone my have so answers. The doctor said it could possibly be nerve damage.....
I had the open cut surgery two and a half weeks ago.  Had two cysts on each ovary but one the size of a tennis ball on the right ovary.The cut is about 4inchs long but its not on me stomach its quite low down. The day after surgery i felt amazing no pain and found it easy to walk round.  Although now i am experiencing quite a bit of pain where the larger cyst was, aswell as my insides (especially when you start needing the toilet), plus swelling and alot of pain round the cut.  I have gone back to work but only doing part time and since im a hairdresser i do tend to take quite a few breaks and get other staff to do some work for me since the surgery. I didnt get told told though how long it would take to really recover or that i would experience this pain, so i was not sure if it was really normal.
Hello everyone, I am a very active 19 year old that had 2 ovarian cysts removed that were over 7 inches and 6 that were under 6 inches in September 2013. I went into the surgery not knowing much (had a trip to vegas planned three days after the surgery) but anyways the surgery went really smooth I was able to keep both of my ovaries and had clean removal of all the cysts, I don't remember much when I first woke up but apparently as soon as my eyes opened I said "can I have sprite, spaghetti and garlic bread' so I guess I wasn't in two much pain :+) I was able to get myself dressed and go to the restroom then I was going home!  On the way home I made my grandma pull over until I fell asleep due to the nausea! It was MISERABLE! Then later that night I had walked myself to the restroom and did my business then walking back to the couch felt really dizzy and fainted (like blacked out completely fell, very dramatic!) Then when I woke back up I was in bed and slept the rest of the night! The next day the only thing that really bothers me was the gas pains from the CO2 they put in me! Worst Pain EVER!! Shoulders, Neck, Ribs Back it all hurt for three weeks none stop, LET THIS BE YOUR WARNING I mean seriously it killed! Other then the gas pains nothing else really hurt  I was pretty nauseas the first week and that's really all! Until now every thing has been fine with no pain or anything! but Now I have the same pains I had before the surgery sometimes even worse, now it gets worse with exercise and another new thing that has started is extreme bleeding during intercourse........ SERIOUSLY?! Has anyone had my same experience or similar? also has anyone had the surgery more then once? If so what was your experience? I would love to hear to stop me from having nervous break downs every time I think about it ;+)
Hello Alll

This site has been great and I just want to add to the blog. I'm 32 living in Houston. My menstrual cycle has always been painful and finally decided to get an ultrasound. They discovered a 10 cm cyst and she wanted to do open surgery. She never offered any other options which didn't sit well with me. I wanted a second opinion and decided to go to Complete Women's Care with Dr. Kirsten Brigger and it was the best experience someone who has never been through this before. She also referred me to onocologist to assist her in my laparoscopic surgery to remove my left ovary and tube. My cyst was attached to other body parts. It was longer surgery but they was not worried about time but safety. I had my surgery yesterday and from the time I left the hospital I have felt no pain. I have not even got my prescription pain medicine yet. I have 3 incisions and they are sore. The most pain is the gas that is in me but as recommend by others here Gas-X took care of that right of way.  My doctor says there is only a few cases where open surgery is needed. Laparoscopic is available no for people to heal faster with less pain. Getting a second opinion was the best thing I could have done!! I keep updating on my recovery. I took medical leave from my job for 3 weeks which I'm sure is enough time to heal well enough. Best wishes to all...
After reading everyone's stories, I feel like such a big WUSS!  To my knowledge, my ovaries are good; I have no cysts and all his blissful down there.  The thing with me is, I may not be going through menopause and Tamoxifen, has given me blood clots and some vein disorder.  So, now I must decided, do I get monthly injections into my abdomen or do I get my ovaries taken out.  I'm 50 and don't anticipate getting pregnant, so I'm already prepping, in my mind, the removal of my ovaries.  And after reading all these posts, I now know what to expect: painful gas (so, I'll get that Gas-X), periods (I'll stock up on the over nighter pads), pain (obtain codeine in advance of surgery) and I'll clean my house in advance, cause doubt if the hubby or my kid will do anything.  If you all have survived to tell the tale, with some humor and lots of compassion, then I can too.
Nikki27,

I need to get a 6cm dermoid cyst removed and my GP told me the gyno will most likely want to remove the ovary as well. I know you can still be fertile with one ovary, but I thought i'd search it up.. apparently there are been lots of cases stating that Gyno's take your organs unnecessarily. I am going to make a list of questions and i am going to cross a lot of things off the consent form and i am going to only give consent to removing the cyst. it's your body. The only way i will let them remove the ovary/fallopian tubes, etc is if it's cancerous, which dermoid cyst's rarely are. there's a lot of terminology to learn on the consent form, but this is what I recommend.
go to that link there and on the fourth paragraph memorize the terms for hysterectomys etc and if it's something you don't want cross it off the consent form and only give consent to remove what you want removed, if need be. Remember,it's your body.. the side effects of having multiple cystectomy's(sp?) is better than having a hysterectomy. (I've researched this a lot...as you may be able to tell)...

Good luck :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oophorectomy
I am 54years old and just had a laparoscopic procedure to remove a 7.3cm cyst in my right ovary. The ovary and tube were also removed and the left ovary tube was corterized since I will no longer be having children. I have the three incisions with stitches and they seem to be healing well. My uterus was dilated to bring on my period. I have to say that all of the pains in my body that I was feeling before the surgery are not there now. Hopefully they will not reappear. My experience with the surgery was great. I was actually up the next morning praying breakfast for my son. I nap during the day when I need it. I thank my doctor and the surgical staff for a good experience through everything.
Hi, I'm 20 years old and it's been 7 weeks since my laporotomy. I had a 20x 15cm complex cyst removed as well as my left ovary and fallopian tube. I first noticed it because I constantly felt bloated and my stomach was protruding. It looked like I was 3 months pregnant! Anyways, after an ultrasound and lots of blood work, I had my surgery booked in 2 weeks.. I was so scared and nervous. I probably read every one of these forums trying to mentally and physically prepare myself.
I was given general anaesthesia for my surgery which was about a couple hours. When I awoke, I was in a loot of pain in my pelvic area and was on a lot of morphine. I held a pillow against my stomach to cushion the pain and to lessen the stress from coughing from my itchy throat. The doctors made a vertical cut from under my belly button down to just below my bikini line.
I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. For the first 2 days I was still on morphine, blood thinners and stool softeners (I had to wear these leg wraps that filled with air continuously) . I also could not eat anything but jello. The first couple days I did not get up from my bed at all and could not support myself to sit up on my own (I had a catheter in so I could go to the bathroom). On the evening of day 2, I stood up for the first time with the help of my nurse.. not a good experience, I felt extremely nauseas and almost fainted... But each time got a little bit easier. On day 3, I finally was able to walk around shortly and have some solid food. At the end of the night I was discharged. For the first week at home.. I walked extremely slow and hunched over because the area was still very sore and tender. Make sure to have someone take care of you for the first couple weeks because I was constantly exhausted and even the smallest tasks took so much effort (luckily my mom took care of me). After week 2, I was able to walk a little better and the pain was bearable with little pain medication. Make sure to have comfortable loose pants or nightgowns!

It has now been almost 7 weeks and I'm doing well. The only pain I experience is very random aches in my pelvic area. My periods have been really heavy with lots of cramping. They also last 7 days.. Does anyone know if this is normal?
I just had laparoscopic surgery yesterday to remove both ovaries. I have had the same gynecologist for 10 years and he also delivered my twins. So I was a little confused when I asked him what my recovery time would be and he said about 3 days!! I have been all over the internet reading different sites and they all say at least two weeks. I wait tables one night a week and couldn't imagine hauling heavy trays all night. Has anyone else ever heard of such a short recovery?
Can you please update on how your surgery went as your case is very similar to mine and I am having surgery in a week. I am very scared and nervous. Any information is appreciated!!
Hi,i just had my overies and tubes taken out and i have been having loys of pain in my belly button where they went in at,does anyone know how long it will take to get  past the pain  and what to expect seen the doctor said that i will be throw right into menoopause,thankk
Hi, I'm Janet. Im scheduled for surgery in two weeks to remove my right ovary which is twisted with a cyst the size of a golf ball. I am also very scared and nervous. I also have a fibroid on my uterus.  Any information anyone can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you
I am 43 and just had my cysts removed 3 days ago.  Just like to share with the ladies out there how to prepare before the procedure and what to expect base on my experience.

On the day of surgery, wear something loose like a oversize dress as you ll need to undress and put on hospital gown before the surgery, it will be so much easier to change back to your own cloths before you discharge from hospital, you will feel dizzy and sore while you getting dress.

Things to get before surgery: heating pad(optional) , sore throat drop, ginger ale, Dry plum or plum juice

My surgery last about an hour, I felt my throat was extremely dry and sore from the anesthesia when I first woke up, cuz there was a tube inserted into the mouth to help with breathing during surgery.  I asked for water but didn't help much, so having a sore throat drop might somewhat ease the discomfort, something that I wish I known before.

I understand everyone is difference when comes to the pain. I didn't feel it when I woke up, but I did feel the sore when I have to made my first peep, the nurse will need to make sure i can peep without any problem before discharge me.

It has been 3 days after the surgery, the pain on the 3 incisions are bearable, I only took I ibuprofen 600mg on the first night since the surgery,  may be I have higher tolerance for pain.  However, I notice the pain from gas is more bothersome, I've been  trying take small walk and drink ginger ale to help relieves the gas.  Today I'm have terrible cramping from the constipation, had to sent my son to get me some plum juice, hopefully it will help, nurse recommended stool softner but I try to stay away from it.

Having plenty of rest and small walk round the house does help, I couldn't straight my back just yet, currently on a 2weeks leave, hopefully I'll be somewhat back to normal again by then.  

I hope this s will be helpful to the ladies out there thinking or planning to have the same procedure done, best wish for everyone!

Hi...

I have some hormone related questions regarding after a laparoscopic hysterectomy. I has a normal cyst on one ovary and mature teratoma on the other. Both removed on 6/17/14. Recovery was the usual two weeks. I am 41 and continue to be on both control pills for both its intended purpose and for other issues.  I had a period about a week and a half ago. I wouldn't say it was normal, but I chalked it up to my ovaries still healing from being hacked on.

But this last week, I've been hormonal - like pms or pregnancy, I seem to be very dry during intercourse (as is sometimes the case just after my period or early pregnancy)...mostly I'm presuming all this to be related to my ovaries but I'm having a very difficult time finding any evidence that this is common/normal.  I'm almost tempted to take a test, but between my pills, my period and just general timing, I don't see how pregnancy could even be possible.  Has anyone else experienced these kinds of symptoms 6 weeks+ post open?

Thanks!
Not hysterectomy. Danged auto correct. :/

Cystectomy.

And post op. Not open. Grrr!
Phew - Glad it wasn't a hysterectomy! I suspect that your ovaries are just trying to get back to their "normal" hormone production since being "hacked on" as you put it.
I've continued to waffle on the test.... but obviously I don't *really* think that's the issue or I'd be taking them every other day.  This is getting a bit obnoxious though. I stay on the pills to regulate my PMDD, which causes severe depression. The notion that even my pills won't help for another 6+ weeks is a little bit daunting. I'll not even go into the physical symptoms. I suppose they could be worse, though.

I hope menopause isn't like this for me when I get to it.

Thank you young_before_my_time. ;) Just needed someone to at least somewhat confirm that this isn't ABnormal.
Well hopefully all will level out soon! I am sorry you suffer with depression from PMDD. I know all too well the devastation of depression. I became severely depressed after my unwarranted hysterectomy (as well as very old looking and feeling) not to mention a wholie other laundry list of issues.
Viewing 201-309 comments: