Recovery after ovary removal surgery?
I am 41 with a strong family history of cancer. My mother had breast AND kidney cancer, and I recently lost my father to metastatic colorectal cancer. That being said, after having pain in the area of my left ovary, an ultasound found that I have "something" growing on my left ovary. A repeat ultrasound showed that it is growing, and I was giving the choice to leave it and "watch it" or have it removed. I did have a CA-125 blood test, which was "normal". However, given my experience with cancer, I feel it best to have my ovary removed and pathology done on the cyst/dermoid/mass growing on my ovary. To those of you who have had this surgery performed, I really would love to hear from the patients experience on what to expect during the recovery period. Thanks!
wow these posts really helped. im a 27 yr old mum of 2 when i had surgery on Friday 13th (i know unlucky) i didnt expect to be in so much pain after but little did i know i was allergic to morphine so woke up screaming and shaking.... i am now in my 4th week of recovery and have and infection on both the laparoscopy and abdomen incisions. im on metronidazole and co-amoxiclav since last week and these tabs are sending me loopy (kind of like it) lol hope everyone has a speedy recovery who have had it recently. how long does it take for the swelling to go down?
I had an Emergency Ovarian Cyst removal Friday night...I still feel horrible...I haven't did #2 yet..& really pass gas:0( idk what too do
colace works wonderful, high fiber and grain diet, lots of fluids and walking if possible
Hello all. I am 27yrs old with no children yet. I do want them. The cyst is filled with complex fluids and is 23cm long and wide. What am I to expect? I am scared. No symptoms it was found during my annual exam....
Did your pain ever go away? I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago but they left my left ovary. I had emergency surgery  almost 4 weeks ago because my left ovary was twisted ( ovary torsion) it was excruciating. The surgery went fine but I still have this horrible pain on my right side between my belly button incision & my right side incision. They pulled my ovary out the right side incision. My incisions healed fine. The pain is on the inside. I've had a CT scan & they say everything looks fine. The pain gets worse through out the day & that area swells up.  I'm hoping someone my have so answers. The doctor said it could possibly be nerve damage.....
I had the open cut surgery two and a half weeks ago.  Had two cysts on each ovary but one the size of a tennis ball on the right ovary.The cut is about 4inchs long but its not on me stomach its quite low down. The day after surgery i felt amazing no pain and found it easy to walk round.  Although now i am experiencing quite a bit of pain where the larger cyst was, aswell as my insides (especially when you start needing the toilet), plus swelling and alot of pain round the cut.  I have gone back to work but only doing part time and since im a hairdresser i do tend to take quite a few breaks and get other staff to do some work for me since the surgery. I didnt get told told though how long it would take to really recover or that i would experience this pain, so i was not sure if it was really normal.
Hello everyone, I am a very active 19 year old that had 2 ovarian cysts removed that were over 7 inches and 6 that were under 6 inches in September 2013. I went into the surgery not knowing much (had a trip to vegas planned three days after the surgery) but anyways the surgery went really smooth I was able to keep both of my ovaries and had clean removal of all the cysts, I don't remember much when I first woke up but apparently as soon as my eyes opened I said "can I have sprite, spaghetti and garlic bread' so I guess I wasn't in two much pain :+) I was able to get myself dressed and go to the restroom then I was going home!  On the way home I made my grandma pull over until I fell asleep due to the nausea! It was MISERABLE! Then later that night I had walked myself to the restroom and did my business then walking back to the couch felt really dizzy and fainted (like blacked out completely fell, very dramatic!) Then when I woke back up I was in bed and slept the rest of the night! The next day the only thing that really bothers me was the gas pains from the CO2 they put in me! Worst Pain EVER!! Shoulders, Neck, Ribs Back it all hurt for three weeks none stop, LET THIS BE YOUR WARNING I mean seriously it killed! Other then the gas pains nothing else really hurt  I was pretty nauseas the first week and that's really all! Until now every thing has been fine with no pain or anything! but Now I have the same pains I had before the surgery sometimes even worse, now it gets worse with exercise and another new thing that has started is extreme bleeding during intercourse........ SERIOUSLY?! Has anyone had my same experience or similar? also has anyone had the surgery more then once? If so what was your experience? I would love to hear to stop me from having nervous break downs every time I think about it ;+)
Hello Alll

This site has been great and I just want to add to the blog. I'm 32 living in Houston. My menstrual cycle has always been painful and finally decided to get an ultrasound. They discovered a 10 cm cyst and she wanted to do open surgery. She never offered any other options which didn't sit well with me. I wanted a second opinion and decided to go to Complete Women's Care with Dr. Kirsten Brigger and it was the best experience someone who has never been through this before. She also referred me to onocologist to assist her in my laparoscopic surgery to remove my left ovary and tube. My cyst was attached to other body parts. It was longer surgery but they was not worried about time but safety. I had my surgery yesterday and from the time I left the hospital I have felt no pain. I have not even got my prescription pain medicine yet. I have 3 incisions and they are sore. The most pain is the gas that is in me but as recommend by others here Gas-X took care of that right of way.  My doctor says there is only a few cases where open surgery is needed. Laparoscopic is available no for people to heal faster with less pain. Getting a second opinion was the best thing I could have done!! I keep updating on my recovery. I took medical leave from my job for 3 weeks which I'm sure is enough time to heal well enough. Best wishes to all...
After reading everyone's stories, I feel like such a big WUSS!  To my knowledge, my ovaries are good; I have no cysts and all his blissful down there.  The thing with me is, I may not be going through menopause and Tamoxifen, has given me blood clots and some vein disorder.  So, now I must decided, do I get monthly injections into my abdomen or do I get my ovaries taken out.  I'm 50 and don't anticipate getting pregnant, so I'm already prepping, in my mind, the removal of my ovaries.  And after reading all these posts, I now know what to expect: painful gas (so, I'll get that Gas-X), periods (I'll stock up on the over nighter pads), pain (obtain codeine in advance of surgery) and I'll clean my house in advance, cause doubt if the hubby or my kid will do anything.  If you all have survived to tell the tale, with some humor and lots of compassion, then I can too.
Nikki27,

I need to get a 6cm dermoid cyst removed and my GP told me the gyno will most likely want to remove the ovary as well. I know you can still be fertile with one ovary, but I thought i'd search it up.. apparently there are been lots of cases stating that Gyno's take your organs unnecessarily. I am going to make a list of questions and i am going to cross a lot of things off the consent form and i am going to only give consent to removing the cyst. it's your body. The only way i will let them remove the ovary/fallopian tubes, etc is if it's cancerous, which dermoid cyst's rarely are. there's a lot of terminology to learn on the consent form, but this is what I recommend.
go to that link there and on the fourth paragraph memorize the terms for hysterectomys etc and if it's something you don't want cross it off the consent form and only give consent to remove what you want removed, if need be. Remember,it's your body.. the side effects of having multiple cystectomy's(sp?) is better than having a hysterectomy. (I've researched this a lot...as you may be able to tell)...

Good luck :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oophorectomy
I am 54years old and just had a laparoscopic procedure to remove a 7.3cm cyst in my right ovary. The ovary and tube were also removed and the left ovary tube was corterized since I will no longer be having children. I have the three incisions with stitches and they seem to be healing well. My uterus was dilated to bring on my period. I have to say that all of the pains in my body that I was feeling before the surgery are not there now. Hopefully they will not reappear. My experience with the surgery was great. I was actually up the next morning praying breakfast for my son. I nap during the day when I need it. I thank my doctor and the surgical staff for a good experience through everything.
Hi, I'm 20 years old and it's been 7 weeks since my laporotomy. I had a 20x 15cm complex cyst removed as well as my left ovary and fallopian tube. I first noticed it because I constantly felt bloated and my stomach was protruding. It looked like I was 3 months pregnant! Anyways, after an ultrasound and lots of blood work, I had my surgery booked in 2 weeks.. I was so scared and nervous. I probably read every one of these forums trying to mentally and physically prepare myself.
I was given general anaesthesia for my surgery which was about a couple hours. When I awoke, I was in a loot of pain in my pelvic area and was on a lot of morphine. I held a pillow against my stomach to cushion the pain and to lessen the stress from coughing from my itchy throat. The doctors made a vertical cut from under my belly button down to just below my bikini line.
I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. For the first 2 days I was still on morphine, blood thinners and stool softeners (I had to wear these leg wraps that filled with air continuously) . I also could not eat anything but jello. The first couple days I did not get up from my bed at all and could not support myself to sit up on my own (I had a catheter in so I could go to the bathroom). On the evening of day 2, I stood up for the first time with the help of my nurse.. not a good experience, I felt extremely nauseas and almost fainted... But each time got a little bit easier. On day 3, I finally was able to walk around shortly and have some solid food. At the end of the night I was discharged. For the first week at home.. I walked extremely slow and hunched over because the area was still very sore and tender. Make sure to have someone take care of you for the first couple weeks because I was constantly exhausted and even the smallest tasks took so much effort (luckily my mom took care of me). After week 2, I was able to walk a little better and the pain was bearable with little pain medication. Make sure to have comfortable loose pants or nightgowns!

It has now been almost 7 weeks and I'm doing well. The only pain I experience is very random aches in my pelvic area. My periods have been really heavy with lots of cramping. They also last 7 days.. Does anyone know if this is normal?
I just had laparoscopic surgery yesterday to remove both ovaries. I have had the same gynecologist for 10 years and he also delivered my twins. So I was a little confused when I asked him what my recovery time would be and he said about 3 days!! I have been all over the internet reading different sites and they all say at least two weeks. I wait tables one night a week and couldn't imagine hauling heavy trays all night. Has anyone else ever heard of such a short recovery?
Can you please update on how your surgery went as your case is very similar to mine and I am having surgery in a week. I am very scared and nervous. Any information is appreciated!!
Hi,i just had my overies and tubes taken out and i have been having loys of pain in my belly button where they went in at,does anyone know how long it will take to get  past the pain  and what to expect seen the doctor said that i will be throw right into menoopause,thankk
Hi, I'm Janet. Im scheduled for surgery in two weeks to remove my right ovary which is twisted with a cyst the size of a golf ball. I am also very scared and nervous. I also have a fibroid on my uterus.  Any information anyone can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you
I am 43 and just had my cysts removed 3 days ago.  Just like to share with the ladies out there how to prepare before the procedure and what to expect base on my experience.

On the day of surgery, wear something loose like a oversize dress as you ll need to undress and put on hospital gown before the surgery, it will be so much easier to change back to your own cloths before you discharge from hospital, you will feel dizzy and sore while you getting dress.

Things to get before surgery: heating pad(optional) , sore throat drop, ginger ale, Dry plum or plum juice

My surgery last about an hour, I felt my throat was extremely dry and sore from the anesthesia when I first woke up, cuz there was a tube inserted into the mouth to help with breathing during surgery.  I asked for water but didn't help much, so having a sore throat drop might somewhat ease the discomfort, something that I wish I known before.

I understand everyone is difference when comes to the pain. I didn't feel it when I woke up, but I did feel the sore when I have to made my first peep, the nurse will need to make sure i can peep without any problem before discharge me.

It has been 3 days after the surgery, the pain on the 3 incisions are bearable, I only took I ibuprofen 600mg on the first night since the surgery,  may be I have higher tolerance for pain.  However, I notice the pain from gas is more bothersome, I've been  trying take small walk and drink ginger ale to help relieves the gas.  Today I'm have terrible cramping from the constipation, had to sent my son to get me some plum juice, hopefully it will help, nurse recommended stool softner but I try to stay away from it.

Having plenty of rest and small walk round the house does help, I couldn't straight my back just yet, currently on a 2weeks leave, hopefully I'll be somewhat back to normal again by then.  

I hope this s will be helpful to the ladies out there thinking or planning to have the same procedure done, best wish for everyone!

Hi...

I have some hormone related questions regarding after a laparoscopic hysterectomy. I has a normal cyst on one ovary and mature teratoma on the other. Both removed on 6/17/14. Recovery was the usual two weeks. I am 41 and continue to be on both control pills for both its intended purpose and for other issues.  I had a period about a week and a half ago. I wouldn't say it was normal, but I chalked it up to my ovaries still healing from being hacked on.

But this last week, I've been hormonal - like pms or pregnancy, I seem to be very dry during intercourse (as is sometimes the case just after my period or early pregnancy)...mostly I'm presuming all this to be related to my ovaries but I'm having a very difficult time finding any evidence that this is common/normal.  I'm almost tempted to take a test, but between my pills, my period and just general timing, I don't see how pregnancy could even be possible.  Has anyone else experienced these kinds of symptoms 6 weeks+ post open?

Thanks!
Not hysterectomy. Danged auto correct. :/

Cystectomy.

And post op. Not open. Grrr!
Phew - Glad it wasn't a hysterectomy! I suspect that your ovaries are just trying to get back to their "normal" hormone production since being "hacked on" as you put it.
I've continued to waffle on the test.... but obviously I don't *really* think that's the issue or I'd be taking them every other day.  This is getting a bit obnoxious though. I stay on the pills to regulate my PMDD, which causes severe depression. The notion that even my pills won't help for another 6+ weeks is a little bit daunting. I'll not even go into the physical symptoms. I suppose they could be worse, though.

I hope menopause isn't like this for me when I get to it.

Thank you young_before_my_time. ;) Just needed someone to at least somewhat confirm that this isn't ABnormal.
Well hopefully all will level out soon! I am sorry you suffer with depression from PMDD. I know all too well the devastation of depression. I became severely depressed after my unwarranted hysterectomy (as well as very old looking and feeling) not to mention a wholie other laundry list of issues.
i am 52 had a vaginal hysterectomy in Feb... have felt bloated and pressure last dew months - thursday i bent over double with right side pain . i thought i might be having appendicitis but knew something is wrong....  anyway my ob/gyn i have been with for 3+years got me right in did vaginal ultrasound and said my right over is enlarged and a cyst - i am on pain meds wants to watch/wait til Oct 1st have another ultrasound said he may have to remove - or if i continue with the pain call him before then and he may have to remove the right ovary.... -- the left ovary actually hid during the ultrasound but she found it.....  i am a leukemia survivor . so i get scared pretty easily I also lost my best friend at age 54 to ovarian cancer ......  is 1 ovary enough for hormones? not really wanting HRT as there is a history of heart disease in the women in my fam
Unfortunately, there is about a 40% chance that the ovaries will fail after hysterectomy due to the loss of blood flow and feedback loop with the uterus. This risk may be increased with only one ovary. The ovaries of women who have all their parts continue to produce hormones into their 80's which are essential for optimal health.

Most ovarian cysts are benign (non-cancerous) and resolve on their own. But it can take a few months and even more. You do not want to have surgery unnecessarily due to the inherent risks of pelvic surgery including adhesions that can cause a whole new set of problems in the short and long-term.

Although HRT can help with the symptoms of gonad removal and may mitigate some of the medically documented increased health risks, it is not a true replacement for our bodies' own hormones.

Hopefully, this cyst will resolve over the next few months and you will not need to go back into the operating room. Also, bloating seems to be common after hysterectomy due to the displacement of the bowel and possibly other mechanisms (such as hormonal changes) so the cyst may not be the cause (or the sole cause) of your symptoms.
I am so glad to have found this conversation site.I thought I was making a meal of my op. as the doctor(male)!!!said I would be up and running again very quickly. My story is this:
I am 60ish and for long time have put up with pain in my groin thinking it was a problem with my hip. Two weeks ago I had a scan and was immediately referred to a gynaecologist with a large cyst on my right ovary. Last Wednesday I had both ovaries removed and my Fallopian tubes(I believe it was attached ) I stayed in overnight and had oral morphine through the night. It will sound daft to say I am surprised how knocked out I am although am making a diary of daily progress to spur myself on.
I do think you have to work at being strong in your own head because no- one else can really judge how you feel or what you should be trying to do.
Thank you to all of you who have stated sensible time frames....i.e. Sounds like at least a month before you can really function well.
I will have that as a reference site on bad days now!!!!
I also thank you brave ladies who say how hard it is waiting for blood and biopsy results.......does anyone feel they will try to live their life differently if the results are clear???!!!?????

I send you lots of love and thank you for giving me strengthxxxxxxxPH
I had my laparoscopy key hole surgery just over a week ago to remove a 7x7 cm chocolate cyst as well as two other large cysts and to treat endometriosis, the gas they put inside me was the most painful, it feels like air bubbles popping inside the abdomen and stomach and you feel bloated, peppermint tea was soothing and helped the process of ridding gas! The anaesthetic made me feel as sick as a dog and feel like fainting every time I tried to sit or stand up it was horrible but bearable, this only lasted a couple of days after the operation!  The most uncomfortable feeling was the drainage tube which the put into my ovaries to Drain excess fluids, being pulled out...just take a big deep breath when the nurse removes it! It doesn't hurt it just feels bizarre! The first week post op I was distracted by guests and although I was  in pain  I was able to walk around but rest as much as you can , just be careful of the stitches being pulled, keep them clean and change dressings every few days! I'm now in week two and experiencing some cramping and I feel tired and tearful. I've been given another week (3 in total) to fully recover because of the job I do, just relax and make the most of the time you have off! Hope you all recover quickly, it's comforting to know that there are other women out there going through the same thing! Take care!
You know what I think I have chronic fatigue after my major surgery in April. I've felt a little guilty, because this is the most inactive I've ever been in my life and hadn't related my surgery to my fatigue. So, thanks for sharing. I think it really helps to talk about the post symptoms as well. Because, technically the doctor says your recovered in 8 weeks after surgery. But, I really wasn't my emotional ups and downs have gotten less, however, I'm still struggling. Of, course not in pain like after surgery. But, still having some issues down there. The healing is not over for sure.
Hi Hdhart. I too am scheduled for laparoscopic surgery to remove my ovaries. My doctor says I will need about 7 days for recovery. I think that is rubbish. And will ask for 2 weeks. How are you post recovery? Are you on HRT etc?

I had a hysterectomy with ovary removal which was totally unwarranted :(
The surgical recovery was 6 weeks but that was a breeze compared to the permanent debilitating effects of this surgery.
On December 13th 2014 I had an unbearable pain hit me on my left side.  It came on very suddenly.  I ended up in the ER thinking it was a kidney stone.  After an ultrasound, it was determined I did not have a kidney stone but there was a cyst on my left ovary.  They gave me pain meds to make it through the weekend and I saw my Gynecologist on Monday morning.  I stayed NPO after Sunday night in case they needed to remove the cyst or ovary.  He did take my left ovary out as it was twisted (can't remember the term). He said my right ovary looked good.  My recovery was great, no problems and I was back to work by Thursday.  Fast forward to Thursday January 22nd I woke up with a pain on my right side where my ovary is located. Because the pain I had previously before my surgery I was scared this may be the same thing and I did not want to get to that pain level again.  I called my Gynecologoist and told the nurse my symptoms so she told me to run by on my way to work and they would check me out.  They did a vaginal ultrasound and found a small cyst on my right ovary.  He said we would watch it for 24 hours.  Due to the pain I was experiencing already, he said it would either get better or much worse over the next 24 hours.  They gave me a shot of Toradol and I did pretty well through the day.  That night while attending a Chamber Banquet, I started to have excruciating pain and had to leave.  I contacted my doctor who said to meet him at the surgery center the next morning.  I met him there and he removed my right ovary.  It had starting to coil like the left ovary had done previously.  I am three days post surgery.  The pain from the gas it terrible (which I never experienced the first time).  I can't sleep on either side. I've spent two nights in a chair.  I can't take a deep breath.  I feel like my ribs are breaking and crunching.  I'm assuming this is all gas.  But it is miserable.  I just don't understand why this time, just a few weeks later is so different.
How awful that you have lost both ovaries! Not sure why the gas pain is so much worse this time. Did your doctor talk to you about taking hormones since you are in surgical menopause?
I am 18 and i just found out that I have a dermoid cyst. My gyn will be scheduling my surgery soon. I am very scared. since I was born without a navel. I will have to have a Csection and a few insicions. im scared about this surgery. what should I expect during during  now and after the surgery ?
So they are sure it is a dermoid and it won't go away on its own? Is your surgeon going to remove just the cyst (cystectomy)? Some surgeons do not have good cystectomy skills. Removal of even one ovary can negatively impact fertility and long-term health.
Hello. I am 34 years old. about 3 weeks ago I went to ER because I had pain on both sides of ribs. After various tests doctors said everything came back normal, however CT scan revealed a mass in my pelvis, 9cm. I was referred to a OB/gyn. GYN told me it's a dermoid cyst on my right ovary, . I am scheduled for surgery in two weeks. I may loose my right or both ovaries. I have a child but I had plans for another child. I feel very scared cyst might be cancerous. I've lost sleep thinking about it.  Reading many of your posts has brought a little comfort, but I feel very scared.
Welcome to the community! I am sorry you are dealing with this! I have been in your shoes and hopefully my experience can give you some insight on how to proceed.

I also had a 9cm ovarian cyst but mine was described as "complex." Since I do not have a family history of ovarian cancer, this cyst had a VERY LOW risk of being cancerous (a woman without risk factors has a less than 2% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer). I had been a patient of my gynecologist for 20 years and had a lot of respect for him so I trusted that he would do what was best for my short and long-term health. I ended up being over-treated. My gynecologist did a frozen section of the cyst/ovary while I was in the operating room. He waited for the results to come back and even though they came back benign (non-cancerous), he proceeded to remove the rest of my "reproductive" organs - the other ovary, my uterus, and tubes. I was 49 but since the "reproductive" organs have LIFELONG functions, I have been suffering the effects ever since (9 years now). My gyn/surgeon should have removed just the cyst and nothing else.

MOST ovarian cysts are benign and, from what I have read, dermoid cysts are always benign. You should not have to lose any organs. A surgeon who has good cystectomy (cyst removal) skills should be able to remove just the cyst and preserve your ovary or enough of it for hormone production. Unfortunately, too many women lose their female part(s) unnecessarily. So it may take a bit of work to find a surgeon with the proper skills and ethics to keep all your parts and their vital, LIFELONG non-reproductive functions. Intact women's ovaries produce hormones up to at least age 80. Removal of any part of the "reproductive" system can wreak permanent havoc on health and quality of life. There are some women who have posted here who had ovarian cysts removed without losing their ovary(ies). This site is helpful in understanding ovarian cysts and their treatment - http://ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

Best of luck to you in getting restorative treatment. Feel free to post back with any questions or concerns. And let us know how this progresses.
I am scheduled to have a 10cm simple cyst, right ovary, and tube removed laproscopically in one week. I trust my doctor, although, he told me to expect a recovery time of about 3 -4 days. He also informed me that I should not go into early menopause because my left ovary would eventually compensate for the missing right ovary.  After reading these posts, I am very frustrated.  It seems that everyone has had a negative experience. Is there anyone out there that actually recovered within a week? After all, how did they come up with that length of time if no one has ever recovered that quickly? Is the pain from the carbon dioxide gas really that overwhelmingly bad? Really????

regretting reader
A recovery of 3-4 days is unrealistic. I do not know the normal recovery time for that as I had open/abdominal surgery.

However, in my opinion, the bigger concern is that he is going to remove your ovary and tubes. There is no guarantee that your other ovary will take over for either its reproductive / fertility role OR its lifelong endocrine role that is SO  important to keeping you healthy and aging at a normal (versus accelerated) rate.

Removal of any part of the "reproductive" system (it is for much more than reproduction) increases risk of ovarian failure and overall endocrine dysfunction. The removal of your ovary alone could cause permanent dysfunction but removing the tubes further increases this risk.

Do yourself and your lifelong health a big favor and seek out a surgeon with good cystectomy skills who can remove just the cyst leaving the ovary or enough of it to continue producing its vital hormones. You are worth it!
I just had emergency surgery to remove my right ovary due to a cyst that twisted around my ovary. I had no clue it was even possible for that to happen. I was in so much pain all of the sudden. In just a matter of a couple hours I couldn't move due to the pain. I guess you can say I got lucky. My doctor actually thought it was cancer. I'm 38 and cancer runs on both parents side's. My doctor told me going in it would be treated as if I had cancer. Talk about terrified. I was told best case would be only removal of right ovary but until I was opened up they wouldn't know if I needed a complete hysterectomy or if cancer was involved. Lucky for me all that was removed was a football sized ovary that was cancer free. Now 3 days latter I have no clue what to expect. Will anything change? Should I be worried about more cysts? What now? This happened Sunday it's Tuesday now. Any one with similar experience?
Glad to hear the cyst was benign / non-cancerous. I hope you're recovered from your surgery. Hopefully, your remaining ovary will pick up the slack for the one that was removed. Watch for signs of reduced ovarian function if your menstrual cycle does not return to normal.  
I  am  Sanjila  Pokharel  last  week  I  had immediately taken lapro  operation  due  ovary  cyst and bleeding from ovary .2  liter blood had taken out    and  moreover cyst  had  taken  out .Bout  ovary  is  normal .was there anybody history plz   share           ***@****
I am sorry you had to have surgery. I hope your recovery is going well.
Hi ladies iam 30 years old and I recently had  my right ovary removed because I had a 10cm cyst I went into emergency surgery because I could stand the pain my doctor was great she explained everything and I only had three small incisions on my stomach one o my belly and one incision on each side. It was my first time experiencing local anesthesia I honestly can say that I don't remember anything your sound a sleep and when I woke up I had a little bit of anxiety  I woke up fast but I calm down and relax everything worked out great I'm home recovering its my third day best of luck to anyone experiencing this just stay possetive and everything will be find
I am sorry to hear you lost an ovary but glad your recovery is going well. Hopefully, your remaining ovary will pick up the slack for the one that was removed.
Im 42 yrs old. On April 2012 I had my Uterus and fallopian tubes removed It took me 2 wks for recovery. I was so happy because for almost 4 yrs I had been struggling with endomeotroci pains and excesive bleeding non-stop. On 11-21-15 I was rushed to ER with the worst abdominal pain I had ever had. After a few test it ended up to be a left ovarian cyst torsion.  They operated me the following day after being hospitalised. They did 3 new small incitions Im saying new because I already had 3 incitions from previous partial hysterectomy. Im still in recovery and Im praying to God that this is the last organ they remove from me. It's not only physiologically painful but mentally hard too.
I am sorry you had a hysterectomy and then had to have an ovary removed too. I hope your recovery is going well and I hope your other ovary continues to produce hormones for you.
Hello people i am 17 yrs old i don't know that what is ovarian cyst or cancer as well but one day that is on 23 april 2015 i suffered a normal pain in my stomach i thought that it was normal or acidity pain but who knows that it was ovarian cyst with 18cm after consulting the doctor she said go ahead with an mri whether it is cancerous or not....than on july 20 i was gone through surgery blood tests c125 for detection of cancer.. And yes it was cancer the malignant dysgerminoma although it was normal cancer but it was cancer uff.... So many pain so many stress that i had in my life than i gone through chemotherapy 3 sessions now i have severe pain in my stomach doctors advice is also taken.. But i don't get the relief
Medhavi, I am sorry you had cancer and at such a young age at that! I hope you are getting good medical care to determine the cause of this severe stomach pain. I hope it is not cancer.
I just had a 4.5 cm cyst. Rt ovary and tube removed. Today it is one week out of lap surgery. I am a nurse but wasnt sure how recovery would be since everyone heals differently.  I am 45 and in good physical condition.  I would say my worst pain was day 2 and 3 post surgery. I was shopping on day 4. Hurting and tender but not enough to keep me in bed. Gas pain was bad day 2 and 3. Get up and walk around between rest and pain meds. I only took one pain pill during the day with a nap and one to sleep at night. Now just taking tylenol. I am taking a seond week off of work just to be sure everything is healed well.  Just happy not to have the torsion pain anymore. Rest and fluids. Walk for gas pain. Good luck.. STACY
Rachel,

I recently had my second ovarian torsion and laparoscopy to remove the cyst and am having a very hard time healing - it was six weeks ago and I'm still having a lot of pain on the side and a ton of flu-like symptoms during ovulation. No know can tell me why...What did you find out with your situation? Thank you! Sarah
I had my right ovary taken out on November 27 after I had my c-section its been 6 weeks now and me and my husband try to have sex and it hurt so bad and I'm bleeding a little did anyone else have that cuz my dr said everything looked good and I could go back to my normal stuff
Don't listen to the doctor.  Healing takes time.  If doctor says two days, you rest for two weeks.
I had a 9cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary and had open surgery two weeks ago. Going into surgery I was under the impression I would be having keyhole surgery but when I got to meet my surgeon he bluntly told me how he thought it would be to hard to take out that way  and didn't know if he would be able to save my ovaries so he opted for open surgery, at this point I was terrified, I have a daughter already but I am only 24 and would really like more children. Anyway I went for it not knowing what the outcome would be. Waking up the only thing in my mind was what have they done and that's all I kept asking the nurses until they finally told me, my right ovary had been badly damaged by the cyst so it had to be removed, but my left was healthy and normal and they advised me that due to me losing my right the left should hopefully pick up its pace to make up for the lost one. Two weeks on I am still recovering and taking things day by day but feel much better in myself and glad to not have the awful pain I had before surgery.
really we thesame problem i also out two of my ovary,, but my problem more now is my vagina is dry? it maybe because of taking out of my  two ovaries? someone know what we need to do?
Yes.  Your body is not producing hormones so that is natural.  You should be taking hormone replacement therapy.
I am 5 days post lap from having my left ovary and tubes removed. I have had a cyst on my left ovary since I was a teen but the Dr. just kept an eye on it. I'm now 30 and had to have the whole left side removed due to a dermoid cyst that was 7cm and my ovary was twisted. I already had my tubes tied after my third child so having more kids wasn't an issue for me. I had the surgery on a Friday and came back to work on Monday. I wish I would have taken a little more time off but I sit most of the day. I have had really bad gas pain, along with bloating really bad. I have some tenderness and sorness at my larger incision where my C Section scare is. I'm still not able to walk straight up yet, I still walk slow and hutched over. Overall I feel ok and I try to walk a little every so many hours. I didn't have any side affects from the anesthesia, except the gas. I'm a little worried of whats to come next as far of my periods and hormones. I'm also wondering how long It will take for my belly to go back down. I'm blown up like I'm 4 months pregnant and I cant wear regular pants yet. I hope it all gets better and I don't have lose the other one.
This comment is a little late but magnesium citrate helps with gas and constipation.  Doctor should've mentioned that.  Also, you need a lot more healing time than two to three days.  Follow your body'a advice, not the doctor.
Wow, you didn't get a break from work...I'm surprised you were released to go back. If your surgery was laparoscopic, it can take some time for the gas to dissipate. Being you posted 4 days ago, I suspect most of it is gone by now. Sluggish bowels can also be a contributing factor to abdominal distension. But that should also be resolving itself by now.

As far as your hormones - Only time will tell if the removal of your ovary and tubes will disrupt your body's natural hormone production. Sometimes it does. But you may have already experienced that to some degree after your tubal.

Hoping you feel much better soon!
I'm 37 n been in recovery from a 30cm cyst n ovary removal for 7 weeks now, was constipated for months didn't think too much until tummy swelled to the point of lookin very pregnant, I was at work wen the awful pain started nxt thing I was in ambulance then it all went from there.many tests later prodding n pricking they found the problem (3 days in hosp), it all happened quite quick had to wait 4 weeks for surgery was in so much pain felt like I was gonna burst very scary,I was very positive wen going under had to have epidural as well as general anaesthetic, woke up gud felt like id been asleep for seconds, quite a blur that day but felt very comfortable. Day two still enjoying the morphine but took me off it on the eve which I was nervous about, noticed terrible pain in shoulders took my breathe away asked nurse she replied oh it's the gas They put in u, I was like wat no one explained that to me I felt frightened only wen I moved it appeared, day three had to get out of bed omg not realising I had 50 staples felt like I was gonna split quite scary but I persevered and had a shower wiv the help of my sister, I looked at myself weird to c no swollen tummy I felt so weak n so little but lovely to have a shower even wiv catheter in lol.discharged day 4,now I look back in think how did I get thru that but positivity is the key, I feel a little lost but getting there, gud luck to u all xx
Hi, I know hi, I know this was last year. However I am looking for some advice on recovery... I had surgery 14 days ago at 7 weeks pregnant, due to the size and unknown nature of my cyst I had to have laporatony procedure. to ensure no leakage. It turns out my cyst was fluid filled so nothing sinister. It was drained and removed. I was in excruciating pain with my cyst every few hours for almost two weeks before the decision was made that it had to be removed. Mine was 15cm and sitting right on top of my bladder making me need a wee very frequent. I can't explain that pain that would come on and this would last between 10-20 minutes. I felt so ill with it. I had an ultrasound 5 days after surgery and to our huge relief heard our little baby's heartbeat. I am recovering now but finding it really slow. I ache and have twinge pains and mild period like pains especially when I need to have bowel movements. I know my body is changing with it being my first pregnancy so I know some twinges and pains may be down to that. I was just hoping some others could elaborate on the recovery afterwards while pregnant. just to be reassured that all of this is normal and it's a slow process. Even just walking around the house a few times a day is zapping my energy. There's not much on the web about symptoms and actual recovery from a laporatony whilst pregnant so I was hoping for some more info.