PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
PTSD -Caused by Car Crash and Spinal Cord Injury
About This Community:

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

PTSD -Caused by Car Crash and Spinal Cord Injury

I was in a car crash many years ago and suffered a spinal cord injury resulting in paralysis below the shoulders.  I had good recovery physically but have emotional problems since.  I seem to feel no emotion with certain events.  I laugh often and everything seems fine.  On the other hand, when my mother died, I felt no pain at all and the same thing with my father.  I thought I was heartless until my pup died...and I almost died from remorse.  I read and found "Faded Affect", but more closely "Blunted Affect".  Has anyone had anything like this happen in their life?  Any recommendations?

Thanks...
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
4190741_tn?1370181432
I too was involved in a car accident and still have problems when other people are driving, but regarding your question, PTSD can cause many problems with feelings and emotions...For me it is not so much a blunted effect but a problem with showing emotions or delving into them too deeply which causes me pain.  I internalize a lot of my emotions and think them through before deciding to act on them or react on them.  Another word I use is Dissociation which is a term in psychology describing a wide array of experiences from mild detachment from immediate surroundings to more severe detachment from physical and emotional experience.

I don't think you are heartless at all.  Have you had a meeting with your Med doctor and talked about PTSD or asked about seeing a therapist either in a group setting or privately...

Good luck to you

M
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
the term flat-affect is a character of schizophrenia which i have both no emotions straight & blunt :)
Blank
4190741_tn?1370181432
Thank you drifter0213....that is an excellent description....

M
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank