Accident
I was in a terrible car accident on Apr 8th of this year.  I had a lot of major things happen to me but my only major concern is my foot.  My foot was crushed in the car...rebuilt but it's still very very painful.  Im in a cast for quit some time.  The pins and needles that shoot out of it are unbearable.  Times that I just cry and cry. They have me on oxycodone and lyrica for the nerve pain.  Ive been on the lyrica for over a week and I feel like it's not doing anything and I cant seem to get them to prescribe anything stronger.  I know doctors are worried about people getting hooked on pain meds and I totally understand but I really need some other ideas to help me through all this pain.
Hello Nikkitatas,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I too was in a horrid MVA that nearly took my life. I spent the better part of six months in the hospital....my heart goes out to you.

I can only suggest that you speak to your physician again and impress upon Tell him how it effects your quality of life and sleep.

Lyrica is one of the better medications for "nerve pain."  It was developed to relieve neuropathic pain (pain from damaged nerves). However it may not be as effective for you as it is for someone else as our systems react differently. You may want to discuss a change as there are other medications in this family that may prove more effective for you.

You may also be experiencing some muscle spasms. Ask about a muscle relaxant.  When spasms are controlled it often reduces pain. I know that is true for me.

Oxycodone is a fairly effective pain reliever. Your dose may require some adjusting but when used in conjunction with a Lyrica type med and a muscle relaxer you may find it more effective. Finding the right combination of medications is often a trial and error process.

So a heart to heart talk with your prescribing physician may be beneficial. Only you know the amount of pain you are experiencing and must try to convey that to your physician.

I wish you the best and hope that you will soon find some pain relief. We can relate to uncontrolled pain so please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck