Pain Management Community
Back burning from top to bottom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Back burning from top to bottom

It is a fact that weight management will give you a good 25% relief on chronic pain.  However when you cannot get any help without going to pain management and so many of the treatments include steroids you have nearly lost before you begin.  Tomorrow I am forced into getting a spinal injection.  I have to be able to take care of my husband and my pain is so much worse since he became ill.  He somehow contacted the MRSA bacteria and it centered beneath his pacemaker.  I had him in the ER tje second day we noticed the problem and he was hooked up and sent to Columbia University right away.  His pacemaker/defibulator had coroded and an abcess (abscess) had formed.  This was nearly 4 weeks ago.  His progress is good but he still has a ways to go and I must stay with him to help him with the IV antibiotics and twice daily wound dressing.  Life is not always as it should be for any of us.  People with total back problems do not always have a choice at how much exercise their bodies will tolerate and the medications are often bad when it comes to weight control.  I have been stabilized since I quit taking any form of steroids but in spite of the  lidoderm patches, pain pump and breakthrough meds, my prognosis has not been very good.  My pain management doctor does cortisone but it reacts on me like I have been eating steak for a month.  I can take kenalog without many side effects for whatever reason but he does not give it.  I never have gotten a reason except his clinic does not do that one.  Still my hubby is a special man and I will stick to the program with his health as well as mine.  My question is, what is the problem with Kenalog?  I have heard of many who will not use it.  Thank you, Billie

This discussion is related to Chronic Pain in all 4 quadrants, upper and lower spine.
Tags: Pain; Pain Management
  • Knee Pain (1 replies):
    I have left knee pain for about a year, my physician ga...[more]
Hi Billie,

I am very sorry to hear about your husband's condition. I understand how much your pain increases when you are caring for a loved one and I empathize with you.

Kenalog (triamcinolone) is an "old" steroid, if you will. In more recent years a new generation of steroids have been developed that have proven more effective in select procedures and some claim with fewer side effects. Kenalog remains on the market and is an excellent drug in some applications. At least that it what I have been able to surmise in my experience.

I hope this helps. And I also hope that your husband will continue to improve and your pain will diminish. Take care and keep in touch.
Peace,
Tuck