Pain Management Community
Bone bruise and fracture, help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Bone bruise and fracture, help?

In late August, I injured my left tibia at work, a line of heavy metal carts hit my leg after bouncing off a door. (Some idiot pushing the line wasnt looking) The entire spot swelled, and left behind a nast bump about an inch big, and from that point down through my ankle and foot, my skin turned red and purple. I went to the doctor who said I bruised the bone badly, and had a hairline crack in my tibia, causing bleeding and trauma throughout my leg. But, instead of putting me in a cast, he offerred to write me a doctor's note to not work, and gave me anti-inflammatory pills. To be honest, I was surprised I wasn't put in a cast with a fracture like it. I'm only 18, and an active runner. Since then, the bump is still there along with the skin discoloration, now more of a green color. However, any pressure, from long period of walking, to even the slightest jog makes the entire area throb. Will this ever go away? Or is there anything I can do, this long after the fact to make it better?
You only saw the doc the one time after the initial injury?  If so, you need to go back and have another visit with him.  It just doesn't seem like this injury should have lasted this long, and you need advice from a professional instead of trying to treat it yourself.  Good luck!
hairline fractures are not that serious. they heal by themselves, cast is not really neccesary.

but as for future pain, sorry to say, might have to live with it.

ever heard people who have had fractures say that they can predict the rain? even if a fracture hapened 10 years ago, and healed w/o any problems.

i fell down the stairs like 5 years ago. no fracture, just a bone bruise. ive seen recent xrays of the spot where i hurt my leg and there really isnt anythin there (i know how to read xrays). i was hoping to find something there that would explain why i still experience pain. i can tell u when its gona rain, the day before its just really bad. and walking long more than a block hurts like crazy.
but i just deal with it now. worst things have hapened.

goodluck
I fell really hard on my knee and again on my bottom.  I have since had surgery for cancer of the lung.  After surgery I began experiencing severe leg pain.  I was sent for an ultrasound as they suspected a blood clot.  The test was negative.  The pain in my leg became almost unbearable when sitting or lying down.  I had a PET scan related to my lung surgery and the test showed considerable uptake on the neck of the femur bone.  I had an MRI that showed severe edema on the neck of the femur.  Since I had cancer surgery a bone scan was suggested which showed the same uptake as the MRI.  My Orthopedic doctor said I had a bone bruise.  I am such severe pain when lying down that I am taking Percocet at night (RX left over from surgery)  The problem is the percocet keeps me awake all night and I am sleepless.  The pain radiates down my leg with the most pain between the knee and ankle during the night.  My doctor did not tell me to treat it with anything but Aleve.  Should I get a second opinion.  The pain is so bad I cry at night.  I recently ran off the road while driving.  I dozed off while driving.  Has anyone had this type of pain with a bone bruise???
Three weeks ago today I suffered a horrible spiral fracture to my r femur--was airlifted and all....what a joy :(  . After being in traction for 10 hours...the surgeon put a rod through my entire femure and secured it w/ a screw at top and screw at bottom.  Today...I have severe pain in my hip area and lower pelvis....could this be due to rain.  This is the first rain day we've had, and a friend suggested this may be the reason for the pain.  Truth to this?
Ran into a girl going to 3rd base. We collided somewhere below the knees it seemed. Immediately it hurt like I had been hit by a car.  I have taken numerous blows from batted balls by both men and women and nothing hurt like this! It began to swell just below the knee but I continued to play that game and for weeks to come.  The swelling was itself the size of a softball. After 10 days or more I went to the Dr. and was told to keep playing it was just a bruise and would be fine. Another 2wks plus and the "bruise" still the size of a softball and obviously filled with blood and numb to the touch persisted. I went back to the Dr. and again he said it's ok and it may take a while to heal. At this point I was concerned about blood clots and circulatory problems due to the lack of sensation in the area. After some insistence he referred me for a MRI. A somewhat slight bump resulted in a intense pain that felt like my leg was on fire! I actually pulled my pant leg up expecting to see something ablaze.When I arrived for the MRI the techs said they had never seen anything like it either and marveled at it. A week later I saw an Ortho Surgeon and he drained approx 1/2 of the blood out. I didn't feel anything!The swelling was reduced some and when I returned 2day he drained the remaining blood. Blood clots under the skin like little marbles remained. Hours later the stretched skin looks normal!It is barely noticeable now although some discoloration remains.I can't help but wonder what will happen if the bone continues to bleed...No softball for yet another week...Is there rehab?Support group?
CJ55
I am sorry for your pain and glad that you were persistant. Did they tell you that your bone was bleeding? I believe what actually what happened was the vessels in the tissue of your leg bleed due to the injury and caused a hematoma, (bruise). A hematoma, or haematoma, is a collection of blood, generally the result of hemorrhage in your case from the blunt trama injury.

Hematomas can gradually migrate, as the effused cells and pigment move in the connective tissue. For example, a patient who hurts the base of his thumb might cause a hematoma which will slowly move all through the finger within a week. Gravity is the main determinant of this process.

Hematomas on articulations (legs or arms) can reduce mobility and present roughly the same symptoms as a fracture.

Source: Wikipedia April 7 2007 ome hematomas form into welt-like formations that are hard to the touch. Such a formation is a sac of blood that the body creates to keep internal bleeding to a minimum. In most cases the sac of blood eventually dissolves, however, in some cases they may continue to grow or show no change. If the sac of blood does not disappear, then it may need to be surgically removed or in your case the blood had to be aspirated with a needle.

The body for whatever reason did not absord the blood and it had to be drained. It should not continue to beed.Your body should absorb the reamining blood without further problems.

If you have additional problems you should return to you doctor.

At the top of this page is a word that says, "forums" click on that and it will display all the differnt forums that are on this site. Good Luck to You and Take Care, Tuck
I injured my right tibia 6 months ago by a weird experience.. I was lawn mowing and a rock went through the lawn mower, and right at my leg. the rock as big as my fist went through my rubber boots and pants, and punctured my skin. Luckily it didn't break my bone, but it made a big hole in my leg that tore my muscle-.-.. I got stitches, and 10 days later i got the stitches out, although the next day it opened up and I found out the hole was infected,and there was a bunch of blood clots that the doctor had to take out=/ and I had to get packaging in the hole in order to heal up-,-.. it took 3 months for the hole to fully heal. during that time I couldn't really walk, and put pressure on my leg as it hurt a lot.

Well 6 months later, I have a scar on my right left, there is an indent. I believe there is bruising around the scar as my tibia bone runes right along the scar, it was lucky that it didnt hit it=/.. but a couple days ago i went swimming to get back into working out.. and it was okay, but the next day after walking around alot, it was really hurting to stand and walk. I want this discomfort to go away.. but its been 6 months and i have an indent in my leg, with discomfort. I dont know what to do.

Thanks for anyones help.
Hi Kbarber,

The Thread that you posted on is OVER 4 years old. The ORIGINAL Poster isn't even on MedHelp anymore. :{

Please go to the top of this page and click on the "green" tab that says "Post a Question" and RE-POST your question.  That way you will stand a MUCH better chance of getting answers to your question.  :)  

Thank you............Sherry :)