Pain Management Community
Can a Dr's nurse refuse to send request to Dr?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I was recently released from my pain management group for failing to get a pill count. I was NOT called for one and the nurse who said I was refuses to realize she made a mistake. And in the discharge letter it stated they would give me a 1 month supply of my medications to wean me off or until I find another group. Once again the nurse REFUSED to give me the meds and refuses to let me speak to the Dr. I have been using this group for 9 years. Have never refused a count, test or appt. Is it leagal for HER to refuse this? IS it leagal for HER to tell me OH Well, go cold turkey after taking Methadone for 9 years?.........PLEASE HELP
Tags: nurse, refuses
Threaten legal action to get some attention.
My advice is to go to the dr office in person armed with the info u gave here (the letter stating u get ur meds for 1month, when and who u talked to, her responses etc). Nicely ask to speak to the doctor or the office manager. If that doesn't work tell them you will be contacting ur attorney for breach of contract and slander - the nurse accusing u of not doing a pill count is slander and will be entered into your medical records. Try and be as polite as possible. If that doesn't work ask for your records then and there   Maybe you can find another dr that will help. Good luck. Keep us posted
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum.

When you say" Nurse" is this a NP? Did she follow you and order your meds?    That will determine how much clout she carries.... either way I think you have a right to be heard.

I don't know the specific laws of your state but you have a letter that basically is a contract. At the very least she has to abide by that contract.

I agree that a personal visit to the clinic with your letter in hand may be benifical. I also suggest that you begin searching for a new PMP now. I would also write a letter to the PMP stating your case and innocence. Send one through the mail and deliver a copy in person.  Make sure it says "File letter in my medical record."  

What's right and lawful may not be the immediate issue as the Nurse has apparently chosen to follow her own path. However I wouldn't let this go. All Nurses have rules and regulations to follow as dictated by the state nursing board. I would contact them also. But again any legal process will  most likely take many months so begin an immediate search for a new PMP.

Good Luck to you! Please let us know how this resolves. We'll look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care,
~Tuck