Pain Management Community
Do I need to go to the Emergency Room?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Do I need to go to the Emergency Room?

Good Morning everyone!

OK Here it goes!  About 6 months ago my PCP scripted me Neurontin to help combat my sciatica pain and it worked wonders!  I mean it took my sciatica pain from an 8-9 to a 3-4!  After 1 week on this new miracle drug, my left ankle and foot began to swell, turn bright red and burn quite intensely.  My PCP advised me to stop medication immediately.  One week later, all was back to normal.

I was referred to and saw a Pain Management doc this past Wednesday (Feb. 15).  I noted my Neurontin allergy on the new patient paperwork as well as verbally told the Physician.  When I told him how my ankle/foot swelled up, turned red and had a burning sensation but almost completely alleviated my sciatica pain, he looked at me like I was from another planet and informed me that this was NOT a side effect of this drug and that I must have had something else like Gout or Cellulitis going on at the time.  After a brief discussion, we decided together that I would try the Neurontin again as it was very effective for me.  Yesterday, I woke up with a new pain in both of my ankles.  I didn't think much of it, I just attributed it to breakthrough pain.(I currently do not have a script for a rescue pain med)  As the day went on, my feet/ankles progressively became more and more stiff, painful, red and swollen.  By the night time they were bright red, burning quite intensely and I could no longer see and bones in either foot/ankle.  My legs, (from the knees down) are also swollen, and my skin is extremely tight.  It feels like if I bend my knees too fast that my skin will rip. (I know it won't, It just feels that way)  I also started experiencing labored breathing.  It is mild, but is definitely noticeable.  The tops of my hands/wrists (left and right) are red as well, with no swelling.  I also have quite a few lesions on my face, upper arms, shoulders and back.  They start as small red bumps and as time goes by get bigger, fill with a clear liquid until they start to leak, then eventually turn into scabs.

Do I need to go to the ER for this?  I called my PMP 3 times yesterday to no avail.  The Nurses do not seem concerned, but I sure am!  Reading the pamphlet that came with the medication, the side effects I'm experiencing are listed under the SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS area.  I also have been unusually irritable and my anxiety/pain levels have increased dramatically.

THANK YOU in advance for your prompt response!

- Rich

P.S.    I wish everyone a tolerable pain day!

Yes Immediately.

Those are signs of an allergic reaction.
find a new doctor immediately, your looking what works best for you , same thing in finding a Doctor, and stop taking that medicine
I think you should seek out another doctor as well.  Just because it's not a typical side effect doesn't mean anything in my humble opinion.  Everyone is different and this medication is clearly causing problems for you.  I was put on a new medication called Nucynta back in January.  It worked fantastic on my pain.  But I wound up with very extreme side effects.  The doctor kept telling me to stick it out as it can take 2 weeks to metabolize.  I got to 11 days.  I have never been so ill in my life.  It's strange but my pain has not gone back to as bad as it was.  They don't really know why.  I have had a return of some pain but not as widespread and not as bad as before, so I'm thankful for that.  But the side effects nearly drove me out of my mind.
omg! totally stop the neurontin. u may need to go the er. sounds like your heart isnt aloowing the fluid to flow. that's a huge health threat. could be the neurontin brought to the surface and underlying problem. if thats the case than it's a gift. regardless, you know the neurontin has gotta go. It's expensive too. docs get big kickbacks from pharm companys when they get those drugs out there. Soma Carisodoprol will work and eliminate the edema like sympmtoms and you'll sleep like a newborn. stop the neurontin, go to the er. godspeed
you know what marycarmel, you know that drug was wrong for you. There Are so many pharmaceuticals on the market and the research as to how harmful they can be or are in certain applications is questionable. the data is manipulated. its rather disgusting how many folks take what is prescribed just because a doc in a white coat said it will help. We are the guinea pigs, we the publ;ic are their research facilities and we pay them for the drug. Big Corp Big pharma Big tobacco Big OIl runs the world. data and stats are manipulated. just the way it is.
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I have been feeling terrible as of late.  I ended up going to the ER, my legs were bothering me so bad.  I've also been having an unusual amount of anxiety.  The ER doc was stumped on my swelling, so he ordered prednisone and benadryl.  My PM doc still has not bothered to call me back.  Jerk.  Anyway, I was able to find info on my swelling, and appears to maybe be, "peripheral edema?"  That's what is says on Wiki, under "Adverse effects" for Neurontin.

BTW, the ER doc didn't seem too concerned and ordered 0 tests, blood work ups etc.  I just love the level of healthcare I receive.  Seems that my young age(32 in April) warrants doctors not giving a crap.

Anyway, I have posted a photo of one of my feet, if you wouldn't mind giving me an opinion on what it might be.
Yikes!!  I just looked at your photo and that's not good. You are way too young to have edema like that.

Do you have any history of cardiac problems?  Edema such as that is usually related to cardiac output, b/p,etc...You should have an EKG and an Echocardiogram to rule out a cardiac component.

I believe, as you do, that it's directly related to the Neurontin. But why??  It's just crazy!  Do you smoke?  Any chest pain or increased difficulty breathing? You need a good cardio/pulmonary evaluation. I wouldn't let this go...

In the meantime, did that ER doc give you an rx for pain med?

I wish you the best with this situation...
I agree with Vicki (I usually do ... she's brilliant!)  When I read you had some swelling, I wasn't thinking it would be to that degree.  How long have you been on the Neurontin?  I'm pretty sure you're supposed to taper off it.  Since it's Saturday, maybe you could ask the pharmacist if it's safe to come off it or to reduce your dose until you can call your doctor Monday morning.  (And I hope you bring a picture of your ankle to the doctor in case the swelling has gone down.)

You may want to talk to your PCP and see if he can manage your pain needs while you search for a new pain management doctor.  Definitely interview several.  Once you get into a pain management service, it can be a little dicey getting out.

I'm sorry you had to deal with all this.  I can definitely empathize.  When I was having the extreme side effects from the Nucynta, I thought I was going to die.  Really.  I hate it when doctors say things like, "That's not a side effect of this drug."  My feeling is that anything could be a side effect in some people.  We're all different.  I know my reaction to the Nucynta was atypical; yet my symptoms were definitely from that drug.

Keep searching pain clinics and doctors.  There are good ones out there, but it can be hard to weed them out.  Hope  you'll feel better soon.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at Haji.  Are you saying I only have myself to blame because I took a medication without knowing what it was?  If so, you're incorrect.  Nucynta is a drug that's been used for many, many years in Europe.  It's not commonly used here.  I always research the drugs my doctor suggests (and procedures and surgeries.)  I was willing to give this a chance as I've had very intense pain with very little relief.  Unfortunately, the Nucynta wasn't for me but that doesn't mean it won't be a great med for someone else.  I"m the kind of person who checks everything out, the doctor the anesthesiologist, the surgery, the drugs.  I don't go blindly into a doctor and think he's God and has all the answers.  For me, it was just unfortunate that I had such a bad reaction to it.
Thank you for replying, you guys are AWESOME!!  No history of cardiac problems and I do smoke.(trying so hard to quit)  I've had minor issues with breathing, feels slightly "labored."  I just thought it was the morphine my PMP recently prescribed.  Also, the ER doc wrote me an RX for pain meds but I declined as I am under a contract with my PMP.  

For the past 3 months or so, I have been feeling like my body is "under attack."  Hard to explain...but I've had a whole slew of symptoms i.e. Rashes, joint/muscle/skin aches/pain/burning everywhere(hands and feet get very cold but are warm to the touch), flu like symptoms, hard to concentrate, major anxiety, daily headaches(dull but last all day/night) vision changes(blurry/tunnel vision and seeing flashing lights) very fatigued(wake up feeling fatigue) waking up 2-4x per night, nightmares(sometimes 3 completely different subjects in one night)  

All of this stuff makes me feel like I am going crazy, and god forbid I try and talk to my Father about this as he quite simply just thinks I am lazy and don't want to deal with life.

I do not have insurance and I currently do not work.  I went to visit my Mother in Arkansas and was there from mid September to mid October.  I've been feeling this way since I got back and has been getting worse by the day.  I was eaten up pretty good while I was there by chiggers.