Does Infrared Heat Therapy work, Whats the difference between regular heat therapy?
The reason i am asking this question is because i was in a car accident a couple years ago and have had severe pain in my lower back ever since and have tried everything to relieve it, and i dont really care to always be groggy from taking prescription pain meds. So the other day i was talking to my brothers buddy and he told me about this back wrap that he had bought and wears when his back hurts that is rechargeable and i guess this thing heats up to 120F-125F and last for 6+hrs, i asked him about it and he said i should find out more on the infrared heat therapy because thats the type of heat that is delivered and is different from regular heat i guess, i currently use those chemical sticky back wraps you see on tv and get expensive after time. i guess i would like to know if this thing is going to cause harm to me if i use it, any help with this would be great thank you.

oh that wrap thing is at www.extremesmartproducts.com in the heat therapy section

thanks again i look forward to your answers
The only IR heat therapy I had was done in a clinic. That was more than a decade ago. It provided temporary relief for me. It was like Chiro in a way. Just too expensive to continue doing. After I figured out that I couldn't afford to go every 2nd day I decided to look elsewhere, but that was then.
Things may be different now. And if the portable thingies work then they might be worth trying.
There should be some kind of standard that covers theraputic devices. Try searching for the relevant one that may cover the diveces you are talking about. If it meets the national standard then you shouldn't have too many problems.
Your Doctor might be the one to ask about whether it is harmful to you or not. He is the one who knows about your specific injuries.
The only thing I know about IR is that it's a part of the spectrum beyond what's visible to the human eye. can't tell you anymore than that I afraid.
If you try it then I hope it works.

Best of luck to you, sorry I couldn't be of more help to you,

Nick
Hi and welcome to the Pain Management Community,

Infrared is a band of light that we perceive as heat. It may provide some temporary pain releif. It is not a permanent or long term "fix" in my opinion. However before you try any new treatment or product you should always consult with your PCP. This may be harmless but it's always best to make sure that it will be harmless for you.

I have had this treatment through PT in the past. It provided some very short term pain relief but I don't think it was any better than regular heat. Initially traumatized tissues may respond to this infrared band of light but I wonder if chronic conditions may really respond. I am not an expert on the subject by any means and that is one of the reasons I encourage you to check with your physician.

Good luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing.
Take Care, Tuck