Pain Management Community
Extreme Calf Pain!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Extreme Calf Pain!!!

This is my first question, so I hope im doing this right. haha

But, a few days ago, I was working out. Doing nothing new at the gym, just my normal routine. It was my "legs day" so it involved calf raises. The next day, I woke up and the pain in both of my calves were immediate. The worst pain I have ever experienced! I figured it was just the hard work out and after a couple of days of rest, it would go away. No, I am now in the third day after working out and the pain has not lessened, if anything, it has gotten worse. Walking is extremely hard to do and impossible to do without almost unbarable pain. I am not sure if this is just the result of a hrd workout, or something worse. Again, this is the worst pain I have ever felt. On a scale of 1-10, its atleast an 8. Please help me! Considering I have college finals this coming week. Walking to class is pretty important hahah

Thank You,
Greenwald
Hello Greenwald, sorry for the discomfort. It really sounds like you need to give it more time. A hard workout like that can pull muscles that are unconditioned and this might take weeks to feel better. In the mean time, I would make an appt. with your Doc and have him prescribe some muscle relaxers. these will help with the healing process. It is also wise to start an anti-inflammatory for the swelling. I hope you feel better. Take care and good luck, Mollyrae
Hi Greenwald,

Welcome to MedHelp. I am glad you found us at the Pain Management Community. Wow it sounds like you are experiencing severe calf pain. I am sorry that this has happened to you.

If you were having pain in just one leg I would guess that you injured something, like a ligament or tendon. It is still possible that you injured both calves but less likely. It sounds like you just over did your work out and caused a severe calves strain. I'm sure you know that lactic acid will be gone from your muscles within an hour of exercise. The greatest myth is that lactic acid is the cause of the stiffness felt after a hard work out or a marathon. Stiffness is due mostly to damage to the muscle, and not an accumulation of lactic acid or lactic acid crystals in the muscle.

The back of the lower leg or the calf muscle is made up of three muscles. The two heads of the gastrocnemeius and the soleus. If you are suffering from inflammation of the muscle it can take 7-10 days for significant pain reduction. Calf strains can be caused by dehydration. Deficiencies in calcium, trace minerals and magnesium can also lead calf strains

Initial treatment usually includes an ice pack. An anti-inflammatory such as Ibrobrufen will help to reduce the discomfort and swelling. But you should always take IB with with meals or some food.  Often complete rest for 5 days for a mild calf strain is recommended with a gradual increase of activity. A deep calf massage often will speed recovery if you have suffered nasty strain. Again this is provided you have a muscle strain.

Do you have symptoms of a thrombosis (blood clot)? Redness, heat and swelling? Again it would be extremely usual to have bilaterally clots but nothing is impossible. If your pain does not improve in 24 hours or it becomes worse I would suggest that you seek medical evaluation and treatment.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing. If is never a bad idea to see a physican to be sure what is going on with your calves. Take Care, Tuck

So, instead of just laying around, I forced myself to walk, and walk, and walk. After this slightly helped. I stretched out my calves like crazy!!! It seemed to help, a little. I had a party to go to and before forcing myself to do this there would have been no way I could have gone. But after forcing myself to do eveything i was able to go, even though I looked like a cripple when me and my roommate went shopping. I now know whats its like to have everybody look at you when you walk into a store...and not in a confidence type of way hahah but hopfully this will go away after a couple of days of walking around. Thanks for the help!
Greenwald