Fever and leg pain
My child has had a fever for 4 days. Yesterday he woke up and was crawling saying his legs hurt and then last night he was crawling to our bed. He woke up this morning having difficulty walking. He was seen by doctor on Fri, before the leg pain began and tested negative for strep. What should I do about this leg pain? Should I take him to the hospital?
Hi there,
Your child needs to be examined by his Pediatrician again for evaluating the cause of his illness. Fifth disease causes fever & pain in both legs. Almost seven to 10 days later, there is a characteristic facial rash called slapped cheeks appearance which may develop abruptly. The simultaneous occurrence of fever and leg pain often points to the presence of an infectious or autoimmune disorder. Infections of the leg skin, joints or bones like rheumatoid arthritis, septic arthritis, and cellulitis cause the abrupt onset of fever and pain. He may need blood tests and Xrays.A clinical examination will definitely be helpful in confirming the exact cause. Treatment will depend on the cause. Keep me posted.
Best luck and kind regards!