Filling a new script- different dose/frequency- of the same med?
I saw my neurologist today and although he didn't want to prescribe an ER med, he decided to move the dosing to 3xday, but at 7.5 norco instead of 10, which is what *I* suggested. He told me to go ahead and fill it and switch, but will the pharmacy allow me to? I just filled the 10mg a few days ago, but since my neuro says that it would be too hard to try to divide the 10's up to be equal tot he 7.5's to go ahead and fill it now and just switch and keep the 10's for "extreme breakthrough pain" days to avoid the Emergency Room...
so here's my question...will the pharmacy let me fill it already? I want to go ahead and do the switch now so I'm not feeling all squirrelly from lowering my dose over Christmas......both scripts are from the same doc, but he said I shouldn't need an approval for him so if I go in to fill it and they refuse without his approval I'll have to wait until monday. not a HUGE deal....but i'd prefer not to have to. does anyone know if it will be okay since I went from 10mg norco 2xday to 7.5mg norco 3xday to fill it now?
I think even though he lowered the mg's on it, since he wants you to take it 3 times a day instead of 2 the pharmacy will fill it. Anytime you have a change in doseage from my understanding they shouldn't have a problem with it. All you can do is either call and ask or just go to the pharmacy to see. It is the same med but the mg's and doseage is different so I think it shouldn't be a big deal....who knows with these pharmacy's though! Good luck and keep us posted!
I think the biggest difficulty you may have would be with your insurance company rather than the pharmacy itself. While the insurance company really SHOULDN'T question it since it is a change in both strength and dosing schedule, they still may because it's still the same narcotic.
I agree with kim about calling the pharmacy - and your insurance company - explain the situation about the different strengths and dosing schedule and see what they say - these couple of phone calls could save you some driving and waiting time.
Is your doctor not int he office tomorrow (Friday)? If he is, and you have a problem with getting the script filled, the pharmacy should be able to call him for approval while you're waiting (he still may have to follow-up a verbal authorization with a faxed approval).
It's not the pharmacy it would be your insurance. I believe that I had that problem once with my insurance. I had a script that I filled and I think it was a few days before the refill date and I got a new script of the same thing and my insurance would not pay for it, even though it was a new script. So I had to wait to get it filled because the pharmacy told me I could not pay cash for a controls substance.
Thanks guys! I will definitely phone ahead; I was considering it but you guys definitely reinforced that thought so I will do it. I've paid cash at the pharmacy before when the pharmacist agreed to release the script a day before the insurance agreed to approve it (when my daughter broke my tooth and my neuro approved an early refill) so I'm fairly sure they would let me pay out of pocket there if I had to, but I would prefer not to (extra Christmas cash for the kiddos!). I can always wait a few more days if the insurance has a problem with it...I just wanted to get all the heebie jeebie feelings out of my system before Christmas so I could be peak for my kiddos.
I haven't had a problem w filling pain meds when the dr changes the dose or frequency and my insurance will pay too. If worse comes to worse take your Rx to a different pharmacy. I was taking norco and now vicodein and have filled two Rx of it within 2 days bc of a dosage change w no problem. Also going from 10's to 7.5 shouldn't be too much of a problem or give you that icky feeling bc it's only slightly lower plus you are taking it more frequently. Also if the insurance won't pay, norco is SUPER cheap even at full price it's like 7 or 12 bucks for 60 pills so much cheaper than most meds out there :)
I had to switch to 10/500 from the 10/325 before within a week of filling the 325 and the insurance let it go thru no issue as it was a different strength.It was written by the same doc. and the pharm never even blinked.
I would stick with the same pharm so if they have any questions you are able to explain the situation and they are allready used to dealing with you so a dose change with a new script shouldnt be a cause for concern.I would stress that a different pharm might wonder-even though same doc ordered it sometimes they are weird like the doc doesnt remember that he wrote you the other one and forgot ?!?!
If a call to insurance from the pharm does end up being needed I would rather be dealing with a pharm I use regularly.
I dont think you will have any issue though-you might if it were the same med and an early fill but this is a totally different med and dose.
I had my insurance refuse to pay for my neurontin when halfway through the month the doc upped the dose and I subsequently ran out early. Once I explained it to the pharmacist, they called the insurance company and explained the change in dosage, and it was approved.
I'd just bring it to the pharmacy. They'll try to put it through, noting the change in dosage. If insurance won't pay, then you can decide if you need to pay cash, or try to contact insurance. I bet you won't have a problem.
THanks everyone! You guys are the best!!! I really hope I DON'T have squirrelly feelings but I really want it all sorted out by Christmas in case I do...gonna drop the script off today on the way to Christmas shopping for the kids. We have been planning this day for Christmas shopping for like a month and a half (because of paychecks) and I came to find out that today is a "doorbuster sale" at Toys R Us....and I'm NOT happy about that. I'd rather pay a little higher/full price than have to deal with 700 extra people in the store...we're going during work hours so hopefully it won't be too bad *cringe* but situations like this always give me awful headaches...
phew. wish me luck..I'll see what happens with the pharmacy today and update :-).
Well I checked on it earlier and it was filled and the insurance had paid for their part...I haven't received any calls saying there was a delay, so I'm 90% sure when I go to pick it up tomorrow there will be no issue. Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it :-)
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.