Pain Management Community
Hip and leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hip and leg pain

I have pain which occurs in my lower back and hip, also down my leg and accross my thigh, this is accompanied by numbness and pins and needles in my leg and foot - i have had a facet joint injection which helped the arthritis in my lower back but not the hip or leg.  I have also had an injection in the L5 nerve root which was of no help at all.  The pain is worse at night and does not respond to the usual analgeisics or tramal for that matter.  I also have a feeling like the aftermath of an electric shock in both legs and sometimes in my arms during the night and now sometimes during the day.  The L5 root was chosen because my big toe was numb when diagonosed with diabetes 2.5 years ago although i get more pins and needles in the three end toes and most specifically in the second to last toe.  I take medication for an underactive thyroid, diabetes, chronic depression and high blood pressure, I also take lipidil, apirin and folic acid as well as methotrexate for psoriasis.  The ortho i am seeing did hav thoughts of over medicating of thyroxine may be a contributing factor but my dosage has been reduced and nothing has changed
I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I also have had a lot of lower back, hip, leg and foot pain
I have felt the same symptoms, but most of my foot pain concentrated in the big toe to the middle toe, however the whole foot is fairly numb. Have they done an MRI to see if there is compression on that L5 root caused by a disc or vertebrae, or even a CT scan. I have also had EMG's and Myelograms to help with the diagnosis. Mine has been different at different times. A ruptured disc, a shifted vertebrae, a tumor inside the spinal cord, a tethered spinal cord. I would start with some testing to get to the bottom of the problem. Those shocks can be aweful can't they? Better to look in to it before you get too much nerve damage and a lot of drop foot. Just know that there are others here who care and share some of the same problems.  
Look up the diagnose for adhesive arachnoiditis.I belong to the support group. If I were I would consider holding up on the injections and procedures until I diagnosis is reached. Good luck!
Hi Helen,

First, I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. I want to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum, only CP  {Chronic Pain}  Patients that help each other with our OWN expertise and experiences that we have developed through our OWN CP Issues.

I'm so VERY sorry to hear what you are going through!!!  I KNOW how difficult it is when you are having such pain and you are trying to get it under control!!  

BEFORE you make ANY decision to stop ANY treatments you need to talk with your Doctor!!  You MUST remember that NONE of us on here are Doctor's and we try VERY hard to keep from making ANY suggestions that ONLY a Doctor ALONG with you can make. :)  You have SO many different conditions going on that it's VERY difficult to tell WHAT might be going on with you.  

I can tell you this much, I lost my husband to Diabetes and I KNOW that Neuropathy can be a side effect of the Diabetes.  Is there ANY chance that you could be experiencing that in your legs?  Have you ever been tested for Neuropathy in your legs and feet?  I KNOW that my husband had the VERY same symptoms that you do and he had SEVERE Neuropathy.  I HOPE that if you HAVEN'T checked into it that you will!!  His pain was there all the time BUT even worse at night time.  He would cry at night sometime because the pain WOULDN'T let up at all!!  There was nothing that I could do to help him and I felt totally helpless.  :{

Do you have arthritis in your hip?  Do you need a hip implant?  The reason I ask this is because I have had 3 Total Hip Implants in my left hip in the past 30 years. My arthritic pain from my hip made my leg feel like I had bone cancer!!  NOTHING relieved it and at night it was terrible as I couldn't sleep at all.  

There are a NUMBER of things that you need to check out IF you haven't already done so, that COULD be contributing to this pain that you are having.

You have SO much going on and I HOPE that you will consider going to a PM {Pain Management} Doctor IF you don't already have one.  You need to get the BEST Pain Management that you can AND that you deserve!!

PLEASE stay in touch with us and keep us updated on what you find out AND how you are doing!!

I will be looking for your update.  :)

I WISH you the VERY best.................Sherry  :)

i have had 3 mri's and a ct scan, all show some arthritis and degeneration to the hip and lower back but nothing to explain the other