Pain Management Community
I had a question about Nerve Pain Please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I like to know from someone who has Nerve damage from back pain and how it effects you and how bad is it and what u take for it? I pretty sure a lot of my pain is from nerve damage thats Travels down buttock cheek and leg the calf hurts bad plus foot and just taking a deep breathe hurts those area i just said .I can just reach for a glass etc and it makes it worser one day might be real bad and the next bad but not as bad . I can go to the bathroom number 2 and it will make it worser it might be just bothering me a little but that would make it bad till i lay on my side i have to lay complety flat even hurts to lift head .I am in a wheelchair and when i sit it might be small hurt but longer i sit the worser it gets and have to get out and lay are i would be in tears . I will have like 4 days in a month where its ok maybe hurt just a little but can sit for hours .I like to know why i would have 4 days of hardley no pain from those areas i wonder if i done something to make it better and i will think about it and can't think if i did something diffrent . What makes nerve pain better things i can do and what meds work for yall? I started Lyrica like 8 months ago post to be 3 a day but only got up to one because it make me sleep to much and made me feel strange couldn't think much .I am trying it again started like 9 days ago i am taking a half of a 50 mg at bedtime thinking my body needs to get use to it. I also take 2 a day 80 mg of oxycontin been for like 7 years are more but my body has got use to it .I will get sleepy from it but i take a short nap and then i am not real sleepy like i was when i first take it . My spinal canal is getting real small i heard the doctor talking to someone about it while he was doing a nerve block which didn't help. I need all the info from anyone who suffers from nerve pain and how you make it better. It effects me doing almost everything i do i am laying down just to write this . I was getting in a pool everyday and when i was in pool i had no pain i mean NO PAIN at all but when i got out it started killing me within a hour after i layed down i think the nerve was drawing back up u could feel the leg feel like it was drawing up . I think when i was in pool it stretch out but there no way i can keep it stretched all time because i am in wheelchair one thing and have to lay because hurts to sit . Any help i would be thankful i need some anwsers and support.
I am on gabapentin, 300mg 4/day.  I was brought up to that dose very slowly.  Starting at 100mg 4x a day and increasing slowly from there.  I also take 4 15mg oxycodone/day but that is more for low back pain than nerve pain.  I am also on Indocin for inflammation in my joints.  Gabapentin and Physical Therapy are what work best for my nerve pain, though nerve flossing can be pretty painful.  It works though...
It sounds like your pain is from your spine somehow.  Do you know exactly what causes your pain and may I ask why you use a wheelchair?  Whether it's because of the pain, or another reason?
One thing I learned about the spine is that sitting for long periods is one of the worst things you can do. Even standing wearing good shoes is better than the sitting position.  I use the recliner when I'm at home and on the computer or watching TV so that I'm not sitting and putting as much weight on my spine.
Aside from taking nerve medication and pain medication, I'm not sure what else works for nerve pain.  The other day I used an "Absorbine Jr" patch that is just menthol, but it worked pretty well on the terrible nerve pain I was having.  Ben-Gay is also methol.  You could try it in the cream or the patch.  I just used Capsasin roll-on and it's burning my neck so much I thought I was blistering.  I wouldn't recommend that one unless your skin is tough.  
I'm glad you asked as I am looking for ways to help nerve pain other than taking medication, as I can't right now.  I hope your nerve pain gets better!  I feel for you.
MamaAng-  May I ask what nerve flossing is?  I haven't heard of that.
Hi Angeldotcom,

I am sorry that you are in so much pain. I do not have nerve pain from my spine. I cannot provide you with the first hand information you are seeking.

I just want to offer that you should discuss your concerns with your physician. If you are not satisfied with your PCP you may want to consider changing physicians. You should be able to ask about your stenosis of your spine and not have to over hear it.

You might also want to talk to your prescribing physician about a change in pain medications. If you have been on it for some time it may not be as effective as another would be.

As Jaded indicate, sitting for extended periods of time can certainly cause back pain as well as radicular pain. You may benefit from mssage therapy if you are confined to or spend a lot of time in a wheel chair. Message will help with your circulation and avoid pressure pain.

I hope one of our members will have the answers you are looking for. I wish you the best and hope to hear from you again soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck.
Hi Angel:  I take Cymbalta for nerve pain. Fibro and other nerve damage, mainly abdominal.  It works fairly well for me.  Lyrica and I didn't get along very well.

The FDA issued a notice that they are reevaluating Cymbalta for nerve pain.  I don't know why.  Perhaps it wasn't working for some.  I don't know.  As we are all different and respond differently to medications, I have no idea if it would work for you.  Tuck mentioned massage.  That sounds like something you might really want to look into.  Besides, everyone could use a good massage!!!

Good luck sweetie.  I really hope you find something that works for you.
Thank each of you for your input . I need to tell yall a few things i left off I am in a wheelchair from a carwreck i had at age 21 but bad pain did not start till like 8 years ago i am guessing i had back surgery had a bad disk so doctor trim around it then pain got lot worser . My neve pain in down one side from lower back down leg yall taking massage i couldn't stand that it makes it burn ,sting,acke, draw etc... its very hyper senitive . I have to sit or lay both hurts just laying makes it better but times laying will hurt almost as bad . My pain wakes me up i would sleep longer but it gets me up. There not but 2 doctors around here that helps chronic people and so many go and lie about there pain i really don't know if my doctor really belivies me when i tell him thats sad to . I have been out of town to a big city for help he said he couldn't help me i just cryed . I feel like my left leg is always trying to draw up to my hip into the back thats where neve pain is . When i had carwreck it didn't break my spine all the way just half so that left me with feeling in my legs there are a few spots i can't feel . I already had nerve damage from wreck but no pain from it just burn a little and tingle . I guess maybe its hard for doctor to tell about neve damage because of that . I had to be put to sleep just to get a MRI or CatScan because it hurts to lay on hard table . If i can get something for the nerve pain i could deal with other pain i think . May i ask the person who couldn't take Lyrica the reason? I also like to know what other kind of meds yall take with nerve pain meds . I Think the nerves in my spine canal is beening squezzed because canal is getting small . Have you ever heard of a doctor cutting nerves if not why can't they cut the bad nerve  just wonder? I would never of thought nerve pain was this awful it worser than me being in a wheelchair 2 times as bad . I am still looking for all the help anyone can give me Please !!!!!
Hi Angel: The Lyrica made me waaaay too sleepy and dopey feeling.  It also made me very sick to my stomach.  I have nausea problems anyway and that tripled it!
Good Luck!
Sara
Hi.  I have severe lower back pain which is caused by scar tissue pressing on nerves.  A while back i had a spinal stimulator implanted.  This actually removed most of the nerve pain (Sciatica) running down my leg, unfortunately it did nothing for the actual back pain.  But as i understand it, these stimulator are designed more for relief of Sciatica .  Perhaps you could mention this to your Dr. You can get a lot of information about spinal stimulators on line
Hope you find relief soon--
Dan