Pain Management Community
I've had enough!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I've had enough!

Tomorrow is my day.  I'm sick and tired of these effing doctors just giving me more pills and saying theres nothing they can do to help.  Then they tell me "dont worry...your only dependent on the pills not addictied."  Can someone inform me as to the difference there.  THe bottom line is I have to have these damn things in order to survive.  I've been to 12 different doctors in the past two years and not one of those sorry mofo's has even taken me serriously.  The lazy sob I see wont even run a hormone test for me to see if I have an addrenal problem.  He says "we cannot find anygthing wrong with you."  This is when I ask "Hey Doc...what about addissons diesease" then they say "no..thats not it".  Tell me that makes effing snese.  Anyway...tomorrw is the day I take matters into my own hands.  I'm tired of these arrogant bastards not taking me seriously...those sorry bastards.  My short story is I hurt...and I mean I truly hurt all over my body along with anxiety and depression.  Right now all I take is Lortab as that reduces my pain for awhile and it even reduces the anxiety a little.  

Guess my point is that tomorrow will be my day to get off these fuc%$#g things.  Not sure how I'm going to do it but this has to happen.  I'm tired of counting pills and tired of running out early because the nurse at his office is a rude  BEEOTCH!!   Wish me best of luck.  By the way...I'm currently taking 5-6 10/500 lortabs a day and have to struggle to keep it at this level.  I do mean taht my entire body is racked with pain every  minute of every day and I have no idea what to do.  I'm feeling very aggitatted right now at how useless all these damn doctors have been.  I hope they all get Herpes and their diddlies turn black and fall in the crapper.    
It took me YEARS to figure out what was REALLY going on.  And I understand your frustration.  I saw a TON of doctors during that time.

Turns out I (FINALLY!) got a GOOD doctor who ran tests for Lyme Disease (most doctors where I live don't even RECOGNIZE Lyme Disease) and it came back positive.  By then, it was considered late stage Lyme and it had already wreaked havoc on my body (causing rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and a number of other things as well).  

Maybe you could mention Lyme to your doctor and see if he could test you?  
Go get 'em Sometimes even your doctors need a wake up call. Best wishes.

Sissie
How are you doing with your detox?  I certainly understand your desire to get away from the lortabs but I'm concerned that you're going cold turkey.  You've got to be absolutely miserable right now.  In spite of the horrible heat, hot baths can help temporarily so prune yourself.  Adding epsom salts for extra magnesium helps too.  Staying hydrated is extremely important, particularly if you're experiencing vomiting or diarrhea.  Blood pressure skyrockets during detox so if you already have hypertension you could be in big trouble.  I hope someone is with you or at least aware that you're detoxing in case you need immediate medical help.  

You probably know by now that your pain will be exquisitely worse and it will be all over your body.  It may be a few weeks before it returns to a dull roar.  I hope you can tolerate it.  It just breaks my heart that you're giving up on even minimal pain relief but understand your reasoning.  Sometimes opiate therapy just isn't worth it.  It's a very personal decision.

OK, addiction vs. dependence.  Dependence is a normal side effect of opiate therapy.  All that means is that you will go through withdrawal when you stop taking the meds.  Addiction is a mental issue involving cravings and obsession to maintain the euphoric feelings narcotics bring.  Taking more than prescribed, doctor shopping to get more meds, lying about pain to get more meds - those are the kinds of behaviors that pertain to addiction.

To make matters more confusing, there is a little-discussed behavior called psuedo addiction.  That's when a patient has legitimate pain that is either not treated or is under treated, and a patient exhibits the behavior of an addict (like doctor shopping or taking more than prescribed) solely for reasons of pain management rather than pursuing euphoria.

Please check back in and let us know how you're doing.