Leg Pain and Numbness?
It started about a month ago. I am a 17 year old female. I was laying in bed watching tv when suddenly my upper left thigh began to feel nub and tingly. I figured that my leg just fell asleep so I stood up and started walking around the house. The numbness and tingliness didn't go away. After an hour of walking around my house it finally went away. It then started happening every night. It only happened at night. After a week or so It started happening more then at night. It would randomly occur when I am walking. It then started occurring more frequently. About 2-3 weeks in I started realizing pain. The pain started gradually. Day after day the pain gets worst. I am now at the point that if my little brother bumps into my leg I experience a lot of pain. Sometimes my pants will rub against my thigh and cause pain. Most of the time I will feel the pain, and after the pain occurs I then feel the numbness. My grandma thought I might be diabetic. I have recently went to the doctor and been tested for it, but my results came back negative. What could I have causing all of my pain and discomfort?
Hi!
Pain and numbness in the front portion thigh can be due superficial nerve compression (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve), that comes from the hip area and gets pinched. This condition is called meralgia paresthetica and is often due to weight gain or wearing tight clothes and belts. Losing some weight or wearing loose clothes and belts often helps relieve the pain/numbness/tingling. Also injection of lignocaine (anesthetic agent) at the site helps. In your case you can apply a pain reliever at the site. Keep a hot water bottle/heating pad while sleeping and apply a local analgesic cream. Other possibilities are vascular pathologies such as deep vein thrombosis and clots and will need a dopplar study. Peripheral neuropathies as in diabetes (ruled out in your case), hypothyroidism, Lyme's and lupus are the other possibilities. It can also be spinal nerve compression in lower back.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!