Pain Management Community
Lyrica...How to prevent the weight gain...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have had some kind of undiagnosed pain in my upper right abdominal wall area.  Along with chronic lower back and pelvic pain and been dx with Fibromyalgia recently.  I aslo have hypothyroidism which has been hard to control now for about a year.  Well needless to say im a little overweight 5'5 at 185 although you would never know that by looking at me, I have a large frame and very athletic so the numbers are a bit deceiving, but o well.  The BMI scale is the ruler now isnt, so that would consider me obese which I have had a problem with that method for years now.  Anyway on to my problem....I have currently lost 20 pounds and still trying to lose although im at a stand still.  My dr put me on Lyric back in March I took it for about a month or so and it help with the pain for a little while put I was only taking 50mg two to three times a day so my dosage probably needed to be adjusted, but I was so scared to continue to take it cause I gained about 15 pounds in that one month.  That is just not what I need....the added weight cause added stress on my back with cause more pain.  I guess it is a Catch 22!

Well the pain has increasingly gotten worse and with the recent dx of Fibromyalgia I decided to give it another shot, although im scared that the pounds are going to start piling back on no matter what diet I follow!  

If anyone has any suggestion on how to keep this side effect from ruining my life again that would be great, because this drug does work and its the only one that does.  So do I just deal with the extra weight and then add the depression that comes with the weight gain.  

Please help!