Methadone for LONG TERM pain control
Just wondering if Methadone can be used indefinately for chronic pain control????

Have a friend that was just put on it and am worried that they may have to be on it for the rest of their life...

And, if you are on it for chronic pain control.. do you have to increase your dose or does it just stay the same???

Actually there are several very good articles on the use of methadone for long term treatment of chronic pain. It is beleived to be the narcotic least apt to be abused and has the least side effects.

I'm sorry I forgot the author (a respected PM Physician) of the best and most informative article but maybe someone here will remember. I found it by goggling it.

Dosage may have to be increased in time but again they beleive not as often as other opiates. I have been told that withdrawal is one of the worst because of the long life of the drug. But sometimes we have to make trade offs.
Oh thats good info Tuck,
I was told Friday that I may need to go on Methadone because the oxycontin is not helping may even be making pain worse.
BTW he brought up 'hyperalgesia' even before I could!
I am afraid of this med because of the withdrawals but would like to read more
will try to find the write ups by googling