Pain Management Community
Methadone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Methadone

I have Fibromyalgia. Had it for 10 years now. Some pain meds worked but not for long periods of time. The meds for fibro had intolerable side effects for me. I have been on Methadone for 2 years now becuz i became pregnant and stopping pain meds would've put too much stress on the baby. She is 2 years old now.she's happy and healthy! My issue is that I have found out through my experience in taking liquid methadone that it helps my fibro pain for a long period of time..one dose lasts 24hrs! Also helps with my periods which have also become intolerable. I cannot find a doctor who can prescribe the methadone for my fibro. Seems as though they don't or choose not to believe me. But it works and I don't have to take 5,6,7, pills a day or suffer major side effects like in the new drugs they have for fibro (Savella and Lyrica). I'm in Rhode Island. If anyone can direct me to a good doctor who will understand my situation and possibly be helpful so I can get my life at least functionable please reply! It will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank You!
JJ
Hi JJ,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry to hear about your dilemma and chronic pain.

I live in WI and do not have any answers for you. Keep looking. Methadone is being prescribed more and more for chronic pain. There are some great articles written by well know and respected PM Physicians regarding the use of methadone in pain management. It has less side effects and has a much lower rate of abuse. When I have a moment I will see if I can find those articles. Maybe if you took it to your physician they would understand the benefits.

What happened to the physician that has been prescribing it for you for two years? Is he just refusing to order it for you? Does he have any suggestions?

Best of luck to you. I hope one of our members can help you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing in your search.

Take Care,
Tuck
I am still being prescribed the methadone but only through the methadone clinic which I have to go to everyday and it's wearing me out! The doctor there doesn't prescribe it in pill form. I asked my PCP about prescribing it in pill form for me but he refused. They gave me Savella (Rolls eyes) ...side effects were awful and my insurance didn't cover it.
So I'm searching for a doc that will script it for me so I don't need to go to the clinic everday. ---- But I will print out some articles on how methadone works for pain. I'll even sign a contract and/or go back for pill counts to make certain I won't overuse the med. Which I won't..there is no need. It works for 24 hours.

I'll be seeing my doc on Oct2nd. I'll let you know what happens. Thanx!

JJ
Hi:

Hearing from other members, I do know that most clinics will make you go directly to the clinic for a period of time but after a few months or so, the clinics usually give the patient a weeks worth at a time.

Is this a possibility? You might want to start searching through google. Some members have found clinics that way.

I truly hope that you find a better way to get your meds soon.

Warmest regards,
Mollyrae