Pain Management Community
Methylprednisolone side effects
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Methylprednisolone side effects

I have bursitis in my left hip and a small labrum tear in the hip socket.  I started the methylprednisolone on 11/29 with a 4 day dose of 24mg / day and then the Medrol Dose pak to finish out.  By the 7th day I was having severe upper abdominal pain and nausea. I had 3 days left of the dose pak but didn't complete it. I was so scared and couldn't eat for 2 days but only pears and grapes, water and very weak tea.  Now I am starting with acne on my forehead as if I were a teenager (I'm 48 years old) and this is now three weeks after stopping the med.  How long do the side effects continue and what else can I expect?

To me, the benefits of the medication did not out weigh the side effects. I was taking Naproxen and that was working very well, but my ortho doc. prescribed the steroid as I was in a lot of pain the day of my appointment and did not take the NSAID so as to give a true picture of my mobility and pain level unmedicated.  I was also prescribed physical therapy as well as given a future appointment for a cortisone injection.  Physical therapy has helped considerably but I canceled the appointment for the injection.  I now very nervous to continue with medicated pain management on this level.  

Any advice or info you can provide would be much appreciated!
4548110_tn?1362310994
Long-term use of methylprednisolone, as with all corticosteroids, can be associated with hyperglycemia, decreased resistance to infection, weight gain, glaucoma, osteoporosis and psychosis, especially when used at high dosage. The most serious side effect occurs after the adrenal glands cease natural production of cortisol, which methylprednisolone will replace. Abrupt cessation of the drug after this occurs can result in a condition known as Addisonian crisis, which can be fatal. To prevent this, the drug is usually prescribed with a tapering dosage, including a pre-dosed "dose pack" detailing a specific number of pills to take at designated times over a several-day period. Pharmacists sometimes advise that this drug can cause sleeplessness and "down" moods.

Some serious side effects that you should contact a doctor if you see:
*problems with your vision;
*swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;
*severe depression, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
*bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood;
*pancreatitis (severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate);
*low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
*dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).

Less serious side effects would include:
*sleep problems (insomnia), mood changes;
*acne, dry skin, thinning skin, bruising or discoloration;
*slow wound healing;
*increased sweating;
*headache, dizziness, spinning sensation;
*nausea, stomach pain, bloating; or
*changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).

You should consult with your doctor.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank