Pain Management Community
More Meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

More Meds

I have ddd and no insurance. I have an appointment at pain management in DEC. I can't afford an expensive test or oparation.  I'm taking 5mg lotab 3 times a day and 5mg valuim 2 times a day. I've been taking this dose for 3 years and there not help as much as they did Should i ask for stronger meds or what?????
Tags: more meds
Tell the doctor they aren't helping as much as they did and see what he says.  Unfortunately many doctors won't increase meds on the first visit, which is very tough for people without insurance.
What should I expect on my first visit to PM
Hi there, Here are some things to think about while you wait for your first PM. appointment. You stated that yout 1st Pm appointment is in Dec. In my opinion, it is standard practice that your new PM Dr. will want your records from you current prescribing Doctor. It is important that you get yout current prescribing Dr. to Fax. them to your new PM. Dr., or being Doctors are very busy, it might be a good idea to get copies of your records, and bring them with you to you Pm appointment. If your current Dr. will Fax them then thats ok, but sometimes Dr.s get so busy they forget. So  make sure Your PM Dr. will get them in plenty of time                                                                                                                                       The reason I keep stressing this point, is because most Pain Management Dr.s will not treat you properly untill they have your records since they are an "important blueprint" of your health, and what medications you are taking. Also remember don't "asume" that your records will automatically be their at your new PM Dr.s office the day of your appointment. You need to call  so you will abolutely know they have been sent, and also call your new PM., and make sure they have been recieved. The sooner a patient gets the ball rolling on this the better.                                                                                                                                    (Their is one other "option".)  You can call your current prescribing Physician, and request that  you want your own copies of your records. This method is  what some pateints going to their PM DR. for their first appointment feel most comfortable with, because when you have you records in hand you won't have any worries. Some people just feel in a much better state of mind knowing that the day of their appointment they have their records with them to take . Either way you decide is totally up to you. I think most patients here in the community will agree that which ever way you choose PLEASE do not wait on this.  Doctors are now so busy you probably are not the only patient  requesting to get your records sent to another Dr. The sooner you get this done the better.                                                                                                                                     If you have already done this than thats great!!!   Also keep in mind too that you can always make a general weekly diary ,about your pain, What you pain scale is every week, or daily, and  how your pain is negatively effecting your quality of life. A pain diary is not a requirement by any means, but sometimes it helps. Especially when a patient doen't have many records. This is just my opinion. Lastly the PM Dr. Most likely will ask you where you are having pain?  he might ask you what is your pain scale? Also, he "might' ask you to what degree is your current medication working for you, so he can get a better idea of what to adjust, or change,  and how much?  I wish you the very best with your new Pain Management Dr.  Sincerely
I agree with what everyone else has said on here.  The pain doctor will examine you, and probably try to set you up with some sort of physical therapy and injections, I don't know if you've done any of that, you just mentioned pain meds.  The doctor also may try to put you on something else for pain, like a muscle relaxer, or tramadol, or other kinds of non narcotic pain meds since your stating that the meds aren't working.  Have you not been to a pain management doctor before?  Is your primary doctor prescribing your medication for you?  I have also known pain doctors to not prescribe pain medicine on the first visit.  When I first went to my doctor the first thing he did was set me up with an epidural (I also have ddd) and it DID help.  I know some people are scared and don't want to try epidurals but they do help with the pain, and then maybe the 5mg of vicodin may help.  Most likely what has happened with your vicodin is that you've gotten used to the dose that you've taken for so long.  Good luck at the new doctor, and make sure you have your previous doctors information, any MRI, because the new doctor will require that in order to see what's going on with you. I hope it all works out for you.