Pain Management Community
Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Trigger Points in chest muscles?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have been suffering chest pains for 2 years (54 yr old male, good shape, non-smoker).  Cardiologist performed a complete workup on me (stress test, EKG, Angiogram) - all results normal.  Gastroenterologist performed a series of tests revealing some Esoph spasms - but not that severe.  Have seen neurologists, chiropractors, PTs, etc.  None have any explanations.   Finally went to a pain management doc who believes I have Myofascial Pain syndrome with trigger points in my pectoral muscles.

Does anyone out there have any similar problem?  If so - what treatment worked for you?  I'm desparate for recommendations.  Thanks!
Hi Kasbb,

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and it's confusing source. I have not heard of trigger point in pectoral muscles but it is certainly believable. It makes sense.

It should bring you some comfort that the physicians seem to have run all the right tests and they came out negative. That should rule out any major medical problems. Myofascial Pain Syndrome is a very painful condition.

On a side note I have esophageal spasms and even when not severe they can cause a lot of discomfort. In a severe attack the pain is absolutely debilitating. So I'm not sure you can dismiss the fact that they could at the least be adding to your symptoms. The gold standard treatment is Valium, nitro and an opiate. You may want to ask your physician if yours are severe enough for that treatment.

I am hopeful that your PMP will prescribe medications that will make you more comfortable.  Please let us know how you are doing. Take Care, Tuck
Thanks for your response.  Much appreciated.  The confusing thing is that I'm not really certain of the origin of my chest pain.  The Gastroenterologist was not certain that he could attribute my pain to the Esoph spams (upper 2/3 of esophagus).

My pain is on the left side of my chest, centered around the nipple area.

If you don't mind telling, what is your spasm pain like and where is it centered?  You mentioned valium - is that as a muscle relaxant?  Have you tried drinking hot drinks to soothe the esoph spasms.  Many people claim that helps.

Thanks much.
I certainly don't mind telling you where the pain is when I experience a ES. It is located from the base of my sternum to approximately 3 inches below it. It's just above my stomach and center.

I have tied everything and I do mean everything. I had short (20 minute) severe attacks for several years. I had no idea what they were. Than one late afternoon I had a severe attack that would not stop. I took everything I had for stomach distress, a few times over. I tried soda in case air was caught, hot drinks, cold drinks you name it. I tried but I could not eat. I ended up in ER and they gave me nito and IV Valium which promptly stopped the spasms.

Yes Valium is often used as muscle relaxer and Nitro is a vasodilator. I carry both in my purse so when the spasm begins I can stop it. I had three trips to ER before they prescribed the meds for me to self medicate and since I have had none.

Your pain does not sound similar to mine and your physician would know best. It does make sense that you have trigger points on your chest. If you are uncomfortable with his diagnosis please see another physician.
YEs i have the same thing a believe it is MPS...do you have the book Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome : A Survival Manual ...it is wonderful and will be helpful for you.  Would like to chat more with you about this...have you had any treatments or what doctors have helped you.
Thanks for your post.  It's been a pretty confusing two years.
I have undergone the following treatments:
- Chiropractic adjustments - no success
- Accupuncture - no success
- Trigger Point Injections - temporary relief only - I do feel the muscle 'jump' (release), but the relief does not last more than a day or two
- Trigger Point Massage - conflicting results - one Therapist said she could not find any TPs, while another said she could find lots of them.

What did you do to obtain your diagnosis, and how do you treat it?
Any help would be appreciated.
kasbb86
I also have mps. I actually had about a year of what is being considered a remission of symptoms. I still had headaches alot but no attacks. Recently I ended up in the er by ambulance from an urgent care facility. Apparently my espoh spasmed at the top of my throat making it almost impossible to breath also my heart spasmes. My blood pressure went from 163 over 55 within 20 mins the top number jumped higher and the bottom number went lower. I was not aware that ur throat or heart could spasm. They said ( as I don't remember ) that I was give Valium and some kind of scketal muscle relaxant..... They discharged me handing me a script for dilaudids and telling me to take it easy. Has anyone else had this happen ? And is it actually possible for our spasms to kill us ? Thank u for posting this guys .... If anyone has any answers that would be great I have two small kids and a husband that I want to be around for and not in a wheel chair or a coma? If anyone has meds that have helped stopped their spasms that would be fantastic to know so I can suggest to my neurologists.... I don't want to go on pain killers again.

Thank you
Scared