Pain Management Community
Nerve burning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Nerve burning

Just looking for other peoples experience for this procedure.  On the 3rd of next month I am going in for my 2nd diagnostic before the actual nerve burning procedure.  The 1st diagnostic didn't really help for more then 5 mins and they consider that a successful test. Has anyone had the procedure done and then started experiencing pain again after being pain free?

Thank you in advance
Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us at MedHelp and took the time to post. I am sorry that you are having nerve pain, one of the most difficult forms of pain to treat.

You are certainly going about this the right way...gathering all the information you can and educating yourself in the procedure.

I have not had it done. I have done a lot of research on the subject. I am not certain the procedure will leave you pain free. It should ease your pain. Ppl report varying degrees of reduced pain. In my opinion much depends on your particular condition, the skill of the physician or technician and the your individual response.

The nerves do regenerate over time. In some ppl this can be in six months and in others it can take up to 18-24 months.  If it were an option for me I would have the procedure done.

We do have members that have had this procedure done. I suspect one of them will see your post and respond.  I hope you will share your experience with the procedure and as well as the results with us. We all learn from one another.

Best of luck and take care.
Tuck
I'm pretty sure my friend just had this done last week. You can look her up on here - chasingthehigh2. If this is the same thing that she had done- she said it didn't hurt, etc. It was her first time so I don't know that she'll be able to answer your last question. I will let her know that you have this posted and try to get her on here to talk with you about it!
Ok- just talked to my friend and I guess this isn't the same procedure she had done. Sorry! If I hear of anyone else I will post!
Thank you for the posts!  Yes I would love to hear some post procedure outcomes. As I'm a little concerned considering the diagnostic (injectable block of the nerve) didn't really last very long till my pain came back.  
I myself will be going in sometime within two weeks to have this done. I was injured at work back in October 2010. My MRI showed a herniated disk and my thecal sac was flattened some. So far two spinal injection didn't work, then I had nerve block at L3 L4 and L5 on left side. It relieved some pain but not all for little over a week, then the pain levels came back up. I have been from Chiropractic to a Specialist, two months of Physical Therepy and now this coming soon, with no real luck. I can't sit more than ten minutes without pain getting worse, and walking for 10 to 15 minutes it elevates. 30 to 40 minutes the pain and the spasms get bad enough that I just want to lay down just to ease all of it
Thery put me on Celebrex to help inflamation (inflammation), and Amitriptyline to slow the nerve firing ( but primary use is for depression ), but it was the docotrs order. The ER placed me on pain killers and I had no luck there so I don't take them.
I don't like taking meds and only being 29 years old, with this injury. My current work can become very physical being a prison guard, each of my docotrs don't recomend getting into anymore confrontations, I can't even bend over and touch my feet or do sit ups anymore.
My main question will the nerve burning really work, I know its not a fix to the back just the pain levels we feel, maybe.
I had the nerve burn procedure done the doctor burned 3 nerves at one time,after it was done i was in unbearable  pain for the next six days from the procedure.I call my doctor and they told me to do was put a ice pack on my back were the pain was,there answer was that it caused from the inflamation (inflammation) that the procedure dose to your body.when that pain finaly went away i got about 10 precent pain relife with my back pain.
I had the procedure done to the nerves in my neck (right side) in December, of 2011.  I have been medication free and I was taking 3-4 pain and muscle relaxers daily.  I am beginning to get some pain back and plan on having it done again.  The pain is not bad enough for meds, but I want to go back before it gets worse.  I highly recommend the procedure.
Thank you for sharing that. I am scheduled to have the procedure done next month.  Could you tell me about the process? Were you awake during the procedure? Was it done with a needle or did you need an incision? How painful was it?
I had the c1-c8 nerves burnt on the left side of my neck in June. The pain from the procedure was bad for about two weeks then eased alot. Until I fell recently it was getting better. Now I'm having pain again and also on right side. I see pain management doctor every three months now. I'm having to take pain need and muscle relaxers again. Trying to decide to have right side done before it gets to bad. It has made a big difference in me. I'm giving the nerve medicine a chance for two more weeks. If it doesn't help I will burn nerves in right side.
I have had both sides of my back done and have no relief from any pain. If anything the pain has gotten worse. If anyone has this done i wish them well nerve burning is not all the doctors say it is. Good luck everyone..
Did you get your nerve burned? If so what are the procedures / what did they do and how bad did it hurt?
wow me as well. i actually never heard of this however three days ago i said it lol. i told my wife i wish i could have these nerves burned to never feel again. and to find out it is an actual option is wonderful. i go to pain management and was about to remain on meds for pain but the heck with that, now that i see this is a real option i also will be asking for it. i also have had my neck fused C6-C7. and soon after I have had nothing but sever debilitating pain. they call my issue occipital neuralgia. i am shocked to find tis is a real option and super relieved. thank God i made a visit to this page.
hello I was wondering if you received any relieve at all? I am so tired of living the way I do. staying at home at age 41 is for the birds. while my wife works her tail off. after reading your post I think twice. due to the fact it is my neck that i wish to have burned. PAIN IS horrible.
The first time I had this done, I had great relief, but the second time it did not take. It has been years since I have had this done but I am due. I refer to the SI joint area. To this point, all the doctors have done is dope me up. I received shots but it degenerated the bone so now I am in a quandary. This RFA next month has got to work. The doctors will hear me if it doesn't!!!
The 3rd of many interventional post failed fusion procedures I had was going to be RFA. My pain specialist did a facet block with lidocaine first, to see if the numbed nerves provided relief. For me it did not, but there is quite a,lot of scar tissue built up in the area as well. We concluded this may have been why my nerves did not numb. Best to you, Jackie
After two back surgeries I stayed on many kinds of pain meds.  The meds had very bad side effects for me after taking them for twelve years.  When I went to pain management I asked them if there was an alternative for pain meds.  They wouldn't talk to me about that for two years.  I did have the nerve burn.  They did four nerves on one side of lower back one week and four nerves on the other side the next week.  I had flew like symptoms for about two weeks and then for the first time in twelve years my pain was almost gone.  I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.  After eight months the pain returned and now I am scheduled for another burn in two weeks.  I would recommend it to anyone with constant back pain.  I would never recommend pain meds ever to anyone unless they are terminal.  If you are at a pain management group and they won't discuss a nerve burn, find you another doctor.  They will want you to come back every month and string you out for as long as they can.  After the nerve burn slowly come off your pain meds with your doctors help.  The procedure was not painful.  You will be put to sleep and when you wake up you will walk out but you will have to have someone drive you.  I had a doctor do my procedure and not a tech.  I personally would not let anyone but a doctor do this.  Good luck and don't think twice about having this done.
                                                                       Ringgold Ga

Ringgold Ga

I don't know if you have had surgery or not but if you do have surgery go to a neurosurgeon.  I have had two back surgeries and finally told about the nerve burn after twelve years of pain meds.  I highly recommend having it done just remember the nerves will grow back.  The burn will last six months to a year.  I was in and out of the surgical clinic in about two hours.  What ever you do don't fall into the pain med trap.  You will start with the pain in your neck as the only problem and end up with four or five more problems.  I hate to sound so know it all about the pain meds but you would not believe what I have been through with these meds.  Good luck and I hope I have given you some kind of hope.
Nerve pain  lyrica is excellent for it, depends how severe your pain is, I dont take it any more  I am on the heavy opiates.

I have spinal Stnosis in 5 lumbar joints and S1 I can hardly walk,  all thanks to skydiving as a kid, compression fracture.

Take Care
Dev
My pain management doc wants to do the nerve burn on facets at C2, C3, C4. I'm on pain meds and have been for about seven years. I took myself off at one time and had 10 days of hell! The doc put me right back on Hydrocodone because that's all I can take due to stomach ulcer and GERD. I'm really concerned with what I've read about this procedure NOT working. Please tell me about your experience.
Judy
My nerves were damaged during a procedure to reinflate my lung.  After two years of daily pain and a "lets wait and see if it goes away" attitude from various specialists, I visited a pain doctor and after two trial procedures to verify the nerves in question were indeed the cause of pain, I had the nerve burn on T2-4.  For four months after I felt like my old self again!  No pain pills! I was able to be active and work and the pain lines in my face went away.   My family could tell the difference in my personality almost immediately.  The pain is now coming back, and it is so depressing.  I really want the surgery again but my insurance considers it experimental and won't pay for it.  I don't want to live like that again; in daily pain.  I still haven't paid for the last one, but I am already missing days of work due to the returned pain.  It worked for me, and even if only for a few months I remembered who I was before the nerve pain.  I will do it again if I can work some payment out with my doctor.  
Yes, Cigna refused me last year. They had an orthopedist review the prior auth. Of course he refused -- they only recognize surgery as a proper treatment for spondylosis. I wonder if you have the same insurance company?

You have a right to appeal. Do so. They will refuse this too, but hten you can ask for a full medical review -- this means they have to hire and outside medical doctor, and this will cost them more than the procedure so chances are they'll agree.

Find the appeal form on your insurance company's website and take it to the limit -- they have a contract to provide medical care for you, and you've been paying the premiums. Go get them!
       I was in a motorcycle wreak n broke 5 ribs and my tail bone in two places. I had intercostal nerve blocks twice ,now they are going to burn the nerve in my back were my back hit the curb . Been on pain meds for two months now and as a recovering addict am worried of dependicy . From what I have read this is also only a temorrary fix.
Right -- nerves grow back -- then you have the procedure again.
Thank you for the info. I have been having back issues for almost 13 yrs now. I have had numerous back surgeries, injections, many many procedures but have only gotten worse. I have upper and lower back pain, hip pain, right and left leg pain down to the tips of my toes. I am MISERABLE, can't sleep, can't lay on my back so I toss and turn because I just am so uncomfortable. I am scheduled next week to have the nerves burned on my right side and then scheduled 2 weeks later to have the left side burned. I am praying it works for me and for anyone else considering to have it done. I have no more options. Will let you all know when I am able to share how it goes or went. Thanks again!! Praying you all feel better in whatever you do.
This will help the pain from arthritic facet joints only. If you have other spine conditions (stenosis, bad discs), this will not do much for them.

However, pain management is about making incremental changes. If this lowers your pain by 25%, you will feel the benefit.