Pain Management Community
Opana er

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Opana er

I recently was prescribed Opana ER was on methadone for two months and Norco for breakthrough pain. I had trouble tolerating the methadone. It made me feel horrible, couldnt function and didnt really help my back and hip pain. I am chicken to take the Opana. I need to get started on it and try it but I am so afraid of stronger pain meds. Anyone familiar with it and did it help with the pain without sedating you too much? I have hypothyroidism and it just seems that stronger pain meds really hit me hard with my thyroid problems. Thanks for any response.
I would be mre wary of methadone than opanaer er  methadone was developed by nazi germany  stays in system very long. opana oxymorphone extended release would be better depending on dosage, good luck.
Hi Hessycat,

Opana ER is extended release oxymorphone. It is widely prescribed and according to what I have read and from reports of our members it is a fairly safe medication. That said, we are all different and our systems respond differently to medications.

My experience with Methadone was not pleasant either. My system did not tolerate it well. My prescribing physicians changed my opiate and I did much better.  Your physician prescribed Opana ER for you so don't be afraid to take it. If you have unpleasant side effects report your reaction to your physician immediately.  

Opana is stronger then Methadone but that doesn't mean that you will have a bad reaction.  It's all how our system tolerates or reacts to the specific medication. Some ppl have a bad reaction to ibuprofen but have no bad reaction to hydrocodone. So again it's not the strength of the medication but how your system responds.  

Please let us know how you tolerate Opana. We all learn from one another.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck
Opana ER has been a LIVESAVING drug for me, non sedating, i can hold my huge babies and have no side effects, I highly recommended the ER, you take it only 2 x a day, I ran out one day before my pain doctor appt and am in excruciating pain in back and hips. Had no idea how well it was working until I am having to go 2 days without and about to DIE.
I'm 18 have fibromyalgia, intractable pain, degenerative deterioration of the spine, bursitis of the right hip. Iv been on opiates since iv been 11 started with 10mg norco (which is vicodin with 325 tylonal) and started taking it 3 times a day and was up to the point where i was taking 12 a day, then i was taking 10mg percs, moved up to 15 mg roxies then they added 30mg oxycontins 3 times a day, then i desided to try and taper myself off pain meds completely at age 15 because it was scary and my tollerance was just to high.at 16 went back on the pain meds because i just couldnt take the pain and tried to start with lower dosed ones like nucynta 100mg, ultram taking 250mg at a time then went back to the 10mg norco  moved back up to the 10mg percs then they added the 30mg oxycontin back it was just a horrible cycle well last october i had a bad flair up and was scared because my doctors didnt really communicate with me they just throw scripts at me well i found a good doctor who put me on 30mg ms-contin 3 times a day with up to 2 15mg MSIR (morphine sulfate instant release) well now Im going on 30mg opana er and keeping the 15mg MSIR for breakthrough im very frightend of this after reading all the posts here but im hopeing for the best because the morphine just doesnt work and i hate the way the Oxycontin makes me feel and the personality changes. I just dont know what to do and i need some advice because i dont want to opt to have surgery at this age... this hole opiate scene just scares me and i understand there is a difference between being physically dependent and being a addict i just dont want to fall down the path of being a addict and abusing medication.
My current med list is
Cymbalta 90mg a day
lyrica 225mg 2x a day
Ms-Contin 30mg 3x a day
MSIR (instant release morphine) 15mg as need for BT
Mobic 15mg once a day
Zanaflex (tizanidine) 4mg 3x a Day
Adderall (adderrall) XR 30mg Once a day
BusPar 7.5mg 2x a day
Trazodone 50mg at bedtime for sleep
Please someone have input
You don't know how lucky you are your doctor took you off of methadone it's a terrible drug, I'm with Pauly611, I didn't know about the nazi thing but that makes me hate the methadone even more...I also know several people that have died taking methadone. The opana er is a great pain medication. It's very smooth and it won't make you feel like a zombie, that's what it made me feel like. The opana will stop your pain not dull it or just help your pain it stops it completely. I don't know what I would do without it, I have so much wrong with me and I used to be on the oxycontin until they changed it. It took forever to kick in and help the pain and I noticed it took more of it to stop my pain to. So don't be afraid of taking it you will enjoy being pain free I know I sure am. GOOD LUCK, if you find time let me know how it works for you.
I noticed how young you are, I hate to see you have to take that much medication and I am sure you are to but I take the opana er and it has helped me so much so don't be scared it works very well. The doctors want to do back surgery on me to and I won't let them, I know someone that had the same surgery they want to do on me and she is taking more medicine now than she was before her surgery so I figure if the opana er and my break through med's stop my pain for the most part I'm glad I didn't have it because I would probably be on more med's than I am now. I have had severe arthritis since I was young like you I also have degenerative disc (DDD) with 3 kinds of buldging disc,spondylosis,spinal stenosis,spurs,an old compression fracture from my younger days my spine is curving,both hips hurt just to much more to write, I have had one knee replacement and need the other one done. And night time is the worse what little I do sleep I get so stiff and my knees lock up I can't hardly get moving I wake up around 2:00 am every night. I hope you don't get this bad if your not already, you are far to young to go through what you are going through. Wishing you the best. Let me know how you like the Opana ER.
I can't tolerate methadone. I'm also on Xanax 1mg 4x day and 2 mg of Klonopin at night. I take Percocet as needed. I am also on Vyybrid, atenolol, Chantix, prednisone, and take Vitamins. Methadone can be dangerous. I have been on kadian, MS Contin, OxyContin, and fentanyl patches, Roxicodone, Norco, Fioricet w/ Codeine, etc. just communicate with your doctor. I can function, work, drive, etc.