Pain Management Community
PAIN MGMT FOR SCOLIOSIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

PAIN MGMT FOR SCOLIOSIS

My son, age 21 yrs, was dx'd with scoliosis at the age of 15.  Over the last six years, his pain has increased to the point where he can no longer sleep more than 4 hours at a time, without some kind of medication.  He finds Xanax/Zanax (sp?) to be the best help, hates the muscle relaxers like Flexaril or Zanaflex because of the way they make him feel.  He gets 'real' pain meds every once in a while because doctors think he is "too young" to be on pain mgmt medications.  

Last time they did give him Xanax for a month and a shot of Toradol, which helped alot.  However, the pill version of the same drug did nothing.  

The degree of scoliosis is not enough to warrant surgery and he has been told to do "core strengthening exercises" and is getting help with those from his chiropractor.  The DC's adjustments dont help at all but his machines that massage DO as does the exercise/diet regimen he came up with.  But my son is as skinny as a rail, can eat like a ranchhand and not gain a pound.  He's always had problems keeping weight on, still does.  

BUT .. sometimes that pain is so severe, my son calls me from Alaska to Texas, CRYING.  He has to go to the only ER room for 150 miles, they know him there and often refuse to help himn with his pain.  

What is the story about pain and young people? Are they just supposed to bite a bullet if they have a conditoin that is KNOWN to produce pain, does so and then ... the docs who dx'd him just walk away, refusing to help him "become an addict."  I thought people in pain did nto become addicts, but were instead dependent on a drug, and there IS a difference!

I can't figure out how to help him except to get him to move to Texas where at least he can get pain meds when needed.  Is there anything ELSE that will work for scoliosis pain that is NOT an opiate/narcotic?
My daughter is only 10 and I had no idea that back pain could be associated with Scoliosis, but last month she was having so much of it we got her tested and sure enough there it was.  My older daughter who is 17 also has Scoliosis but does not have any issues with back pain.  I hope my younger daughter doesn't get worse over time.  I have pain issues myself and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  I hope you get the answers you need.  When it comes to our children we can often feel so helpless when we can't take the pain away from them.  I am praying for your family and a good answer/solution to come your way soon.  
I just wanted to add one thing that really bothers me.  In my case the Dr is saying I'm to young to go through any increases in medications etc. since my pain issue is progressive it will get worse over time and medications will increase, but because I am young they don't want to increase anything at this time.  What bothers me about the comment to young for pain management it that they are saying because you are so young I am going to let you live your best years of you life in pain and stop you from living them because your to young to start pain meds etc.  The people who abuse medications are the one's that really screwed things up for the people who are sincere in there search for relief.  
Hi Terry,

I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that I'm glad that you have found this Forum.  I need to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum.  We are ALL  CP  -  Chronic Pain  -  Patients that help each other with our expertise and experiences that we have gained from our OWN CP Issues.

I'm so VERY sorry that your Dear Son is going through all of this pain for so many years.  I know how unfair it seems that his Doctors won't give  him any long term meds for his extremely painful condition.  

So many times the PM - Pain Management - Doctors won't give the younger people opiads or narcotics bcause when they start on them at the age that your son is because he will become immune to them too early and will have NOTHING to help him later in life.  That's the way that MOST Doctor's feel and I don't agree with them.  Your Son is in pain and definitely needs SOMETHING to help him.  

Are there other Doctor's in Alaska that he could try to help him or has he tried all of the PM Doctors in his area?  The other thing I thought of is could he come to Texas with you and you might have some luck with Doctor's where you are living now?  

The biggest drawback for him is that his condition is a Lifelong condition and isn't going to let up or go away.  They know that within - probably - 10 years he will have gone through all of the Pain Meds that are available and have NOTHING left to help him at all.  I HOPE that you and he won't give up looking for that SPECIAL PM Doctor that can see past that and see how much pain he is in.  

ALSO - you are correct -  there is a HUGE difference between addiction and dependency!!!  Again, though, the dependency leads to higher levels of drugs which in turns leads to the drgs NO LONGER WORKING for him because he's so young.  It's such a revolving door and he's caught right in the middle.  

Keep searching and I hope and pray that you can find someone to help him!!

I'll keep you in my thoughts and Prayers.......Sherry
hi,
i am 16 years old and i was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was 10 years old and i have an s curve one of my curves measures 37 degrees and the other one measures 29 degrees. they wont put me on ANY pain meds what so ever and i am always in pain. i have to miss school often because i cant get out of bed. i have told my doctors about my pain and they tell me to take tylenol and ibuprofen but they arent strong enough to help the pain that im in. so if you find anything out that helps your son please let me know what it is and what i can do to get it i would appreciate it. i hope your son gets what he needs.