Pain Management Community
Pain in Head, Neck and Ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain in Head, Neck and Ear

Around Christmas, I began to experience great pain. The pain is mostly in my neck, but occasionally I get headaches and earaches with it as well. It was strange, though, because the pain would last for a day, and by the next day it would diminish, if not vanish completely. So, I've had this pain on and off since December. I've been to two general doctors; the first said it was sinus pain, and the second didn't tell me what it was, but did give me some antibiotics. I took the antibiotics around the end of February, and was fine until Easter Monday, when the pain came back. It has diminished since Monday, but not as much as before, and I'm not used to the pain being present three days later. I take Advil for the pain, and it provides some relief, but not a lot.

People who are not doctors have suggested that this may just be from stress, and I do get stressed quite easily and often. Is that a possibility?

I'm eighteen years old. I've never been in an accident, nor have I had any serious medical conditions. My question is broad, and I apologize for that, but I'm just so confused as to what this is. I understand it being difficult/impossible to diagnoses someone online, so I'm looking for ideas as to what this could be (and in turn, what I can do), and if there is a specific type of doctor I should see? Any general pain relief tips are greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you so much for your time and any input you can give.
Hello Brianne and welcome to the forum.

Have you seen a Neurologist? They may be able to better diagnose you. I feel that an MRI with contrast wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Keep at those Doctors, they will eventually come to a diagnoses.

My best,
Mollyrae
Hi Brianne,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Mangement Forum. I am so sorry to hear about you recurring pain. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post.

I assume a PCP diagnosed you with sinusitis (sinus infection). It can cause the pain you are describing. Sinusitis can be difficult to resolve, especially if it has been on-going. It is not unusual to require three weeks of ATB therapy. It can also be difficult to determine the right ATB to treat the sinusitis. Sometimes it will require a different ATB than initially prescribed.

I suggest that you see a physician that specializes in ear, nose and throat (ENT). They are otolaryngologists. I would begin my search there. Additionally allergies can cause these types of symptoms. An otolaryngologist can refer you on if it proves not to be an ENT issue.

Sometimes your cervical spine area can become misaligned and also cause the similar symptoms. As Mollyrae suggested keep going until you obtain an accurate diagnosis and follow-up treatment.

Yes stress can also cause some of the symptoms you described. In my opinion it is better and more appropriate to rule out a medical condition before you jump to a stress diagnosis.

Please let us know how you are doing. And please do not ignore your symptoms.

Best of luck to you and take care,
~Tuck
I would also have a dentist check you for TMJ
Much thanks for the help, everyone! I will definitely look into these options. I really appreciate this, thank you again.