Pain in side of Thigh

Hi , I recently have had intermittant very sharp high level pain in my right side of the  leg about 4 inches above the knee. It seems to be mostly in one area. When I get the pain it is very high level and I can't stand up because the pain is excruciating.. It lasts for about 15 minutes to a half hour and goes away. I stopped doing some leg lifts and it went away for about 2 weeks so I thought that did it. Then it came back after I was doing some other exercises again. So my husband said it may be from my chair as he thinks it could be sciatica type pain or a pinched nerve. I took Ibupropin a couple of days in case there is inflammation and didn't have it for a couple of days then I felt a dull burning ache yesterday. I do go to a neurologist for migraines and am taking new meds for migraines but these meds don't have side effects that state this type of pain (Topamax, amitriptilyne, cyproheptadine and klonopin). So, I don't think it is the meds but I'll bring it up when I see her in  a few weeks.  I do sit a lot due to myofascial .low back pain (my MRI is normal a couple of years ago) ..Also, it seems to occur in the afternoon and when I have been sitting for a while. Any ideas as to what this is?
thank you,
mkh9
.
Hi!
Pain in the lower and outer thigh is often due to Iliotibial band friction syndrome. It can be a part of myofascial low back pain you have or it may have happened due to incorrect leg lifts causing strain on the band. Wrong sitting posture causing improper transmission of force and strain on the band can bring about pain. Changing posture while sitting, using a good chair with back support, getting up and walking once in a while, etc helps. When in pain, RICE treatment helps (rest, ice, compression by wearing a knee cap and elevation of leg). Use of ultrasound waves also help bring relief.
Other possibilities are vascular pathologies such as deep vein thrombosis and clots and will need a dopplar study. Peripheral neuropathies as in diabetes, hypothyroidism, Lyme's and lupus are the other possibilities. It can also be spinal nerve compression in lower back. Another possibility is meralgia paresthetica due to compression of  lateral femoral cutaneous nerve that comes from the hip area and gets pinched due to wearing tight belts or obesity. Please discuss with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.