Pain Management Community
Pain medication change

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain medication change

I have been taking opiod medications for years for chronic pain. It is a quality of life situation, as I am disabled as a result of it. I am currently taking Percocet 7.5/500; however do not want a pain medication with tylenol. I am on another medication that is hard on the liver, so it is important that I stop this. My pain is also more resistant because of an arthritis component. Could anyone tell me what would be one step up from the Percocet that contains no tylenol. I am aware that long-term usage = increased tolerance, but, to be honest, addiction is the least of my worries. I have been told that pain management meds along with an exercise plan that I can tolerate is my only chance at a bit of relief. For the record, I do not get any euphoria symptoms as the meds are too busy fighting the pain, and I do not abuse my medication. After approximately 6 years on the Percocet, it is time to go up a notch. Thanks so much for your feedback.
I take Roxicodone.  It has the same active ingredient as percocet (oxycodone) but contains NO APAP.  It comes in 15 & 30mg

Hope this helps
They will most likely start you on the lowest dose of Oxycontin, which is 10mgs twice a day and work your way up.  The one big thing about Oxycontin that you build a tolerance quite fast.  I'm at 20mgs three times a day and I'm in a whole lot of pain.  I don't know if it quit working or if I'm just having a flare up.  I take percocet 10mgs for breakthrough pain.  

It all depends on your doctor that is treating you in what they will allow you to do.  The Oxycontin 20mgs does not last the 12 hours for me, so they allow the extra dose during the day.
the drawback for me RE:Oxycontin is that its Time Released and Roxicodone is immidate release
Thank you so much for your input. I don't think that time-released medication would work because sometimes the Percocet gives some relief for 4-5 hours, and other times I have to take a dose at 2-1/2 to 3 hours. I have an appointment this month and it is for a  medication change. My doc knows that I research the meds before I request them. I know I am very lucky to have a compassionate doctor who will work with me. I am going to request the Roxicodone, since it sounds like something that will work for me. For those of you who are sometimes criticized for taking strong meds, my rheumatologist explained to me that when you are a chronic pain patient, your nerve receptors are different than "normal" (forgive the term, please), and what may seem just uncomfortable to others, can be excruciating to us. Also, I was also told that with severe pain, the meds are "busy" working on controlling the pain, rather than giving us a feeling of euphoria.  Just hoped that little tidbit may help someone in explaining what is going on with you to others.  Hugs!
Hi Chronicpain,

Yes it is a well know fact that those of us with pain do not obtain any euphoria from our narcotics. Your physician is correct, the opiate is "busy working on the pain."

It is also true that for those of us with chronic pain the chemistry of our brains may change to some degree. Chronic pain (cp) is often poorly misunderstood and more research needs to be done in this area.  Too often CP sufferers are seen a drug seekers or drug addicts. We are dependant upon the opiates but not addicted, a huge difference. But that's another topic for another time.

Percocet is available without any acetaminophen (tylenol) at all. Indeed you may even obtain it with only 325mg instead of the 500 you are currently taking. But you know your pain levels best. A long acting oxycodone or other long acting medication may be what you require at this point.

Best of luck to you. I hope you will keep us informed and share with us the decision you and your physician make.

Take Care.
~Tuck~