Period Pain while running?
I experience a very bad pain in my lower back while running for more than 5 mins at same pace. Sometimes i even get cramps in my lower belly just like menstrual cramps. The back and abdomen pain are exactly like period pain and it feels like i am going to get a period in a few minutes. the pain is very bad and i have to quit and sit down, bending forward, giving my back a little stretch. The pain would last for about 30-45 minutes and leaves me scared of getting a period! Why is it so? I belong to a conservative country where women are not perceived to do physical tasks like "working out" and my Gynecologist says "Women should not do physical exercises and should not even lift their baggage" <---This.......pisses me off!!!! Please help
Hi Estranged,

Ahh, a fellow woman's libber!! I admire your independent attitude and refusal to be labeled. Your physician's attitude belongs in the early 19 hundreds.

You are correct. A woman should be able to run, lift or any other activity they so chose. Pelvic pain should not accompany such activities. Chronic pelvic pain (CPP) can be very difficult to diagnosis. It is often a long and frustrating diagnostic process.

There are many different diagnoses associated with CPP including vulvar pain syndromes, interstitial cystitis, levator ani syndrome, piriformis syndrome, vaginismus, anismus, dyspareunia, proctalgia fugax, constipation, pelvic floor tension myalgias, endometriosis, pudendal neuralgia, and/or rectal pain. I've had similar symptoms with uterine fibroids. Many ppl seek help for years until they receive a correct diagnosis and proper treatment.

I know this isn't very helpful. I encourage you to find a more informed physician. If you have female physicians in India I would see one, even if she was not a Gynecologist. The diagnostic process should be initiated. In the mean time heat applied directly to the pelvic area and NSAID's may help ease the cramping and pain.  

Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your updates. Best of luck to you.

Take Care,
Tuck