Pain Management Community
Really bad upper stomach pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Really bad upper stomach pain

My husband started hurting in his upper stomach on the right.  It radiates through his back.  It started last week when he was on a flight.  He had eaten a breakfast sandwich and got really nauseated.  He was really misserable and drank some club soda thinking it would make him feel better.  He ended up in the lavatory, throwing up the club soda.  As he was walking, he started feeling better and thought it was just a bad breakfast sandwich.  When he ate a late lunch, he got sick again.  He was then driving a semi truck and had to pull over to lay down.  He again, ended up throwing up.  He's home now and really hurting.  What do you think it is and do you think it could be too serious to wait to see the Dr. on Monday or should he go to the emergency room tonight (Friday)?  Any help or suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Chrisitie
I would go to the ER. If he can't keep anything down and is vomiting than he's probably going to end up at least dehydrated. It could just be a virus. It could be food poisoning. Or it could be appendicitis. If it were me, I wouldn't wait. I had something like this happen to me a few years ago. I went to the ER and had a battery of test only to be told it was a virus. But I did get IV fluids which helped a lot since I was so dehydrated from throwing up so much.  
Upper right quadrant pain that radiates to the back is classic for a bad gallbladder - particularly when it occurs after eating.  His attacks are severe enough that a trip to the ER might be a good idea.  The gallbladder can rupture just like the appendix when it's inflamed causing a whole lot more trouble.  Please let us know how he's doing!
I agree that it sounds like gallbladder symptoms!

Classic signs are upper right abdominal pain that radiates through to the back under the shoulder blades and nausea!
I would be heading to the emergency department during an attack and they will most likely order and conduct an ultrasound to check for gallstones........the usual treatment for these is to remove the gallbladder.

I hope you get some answers for your husband
Sarsi