Pain Management Community
Ribcage and diaphragm pain when deep breathing after waking up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

This has been happening nearly all my life. Today it is particularly bad. When I wake up I will try to take a deep breath and am greeted with pain in my ribs and diaphragm and also a muscle spasm in my diaphragm. It causes me to stop mid breath and I never get to take the deep one I'd like to. It's very uncomfortable and would like to know if I have some sort of problem. Right now I am not deep breathin but have a general ache in my diaphragm after waking an hour ago. I have thought in the past (because of something I read) that it is caused by shallow breathing. I was trying to read my exact question on the site posted by someone else about seven years ago.. It looked like there was a good answer but I couldn't get to it. Anyone know of any causes ? Thanks!
Have you consulted a Gastroenterologist? They may have some answers for you, including treatments.

I have a Hital Herniawhich cause symptoms similar to yours. A Gastro ordered several medications,... along with diet it has reduced my symptoms.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck
Hi There,
Did you ever get a solution as to why you get these pains?  I'm 28 and have had them for a few years myself, but recently it is extremely difficult to get a big breath after waking in the morning.  I always thought I was sleeping too long on my back, but it's getting much more painful! Any advice would help... Thanks! :)
Did you eat any spicy food the night before? Try to sleep on the side and not on the back.