Ribcage and diaphragm pain when deep breathing after waking up?
This has been happening nearly all my life. Today it is particularly bad. When I wake up I will try to take a deep breath and am greeted with pain in my ribs and diaphragm and also a muscle spasm in my diaphragm. It causes me to stop mid breath and I never get to take the deep one I'd like to. It's very uncomfortable and would like to know if I have some sort of problem. Right now I am not deep breathin but have a general ache in my diaphragm after waking an hour ago. I have thought in the past (because of something I read) that it is caused by shallow breathing. I was trying to read my exact question on the site posted by someone else about seven years ago.. It looked like there was a good answer but I couldn't get to it. Anyone know of any causes ? Thanks!
Have you consulted a Gastroenterologist? They may have some answers for you, including treatments.

I have a Hital Herniawhich cause symptoms similar to yours. A Gastro ordered several medications,... along with diet it has reduced my symptoms.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck
Hi There,
Did you ever get a solution as to why you get these pains?  I'm 28 and have had them for a few years myself, but recently it is extremely difficult to get a big breath after waking in the morning.  I always thought I was sleeping too long on my back, but it's getting much more painful! Any advice would help... Thanks! :)
Did you eat any spicy food the night before? Try to sleep on the side and not on the back.