Pain Management Community
SUDDEN SHARP PAIN IN MY RIGHT SIDE UNDER MY RIBCAGE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I HAVE HAD SUDDEN SHARP PAIN IN MY RIGHT SIDE UNDER MY RIBCAGE. BY SUDDEN I MEAN NO ONSET WARNINGS, JUST UP OUT OF THE BLUE, I HAVE NOTICED THEY ARE MAINLY BEFORE NOON, BUT HAVE HAD A FEW IN THE LATE EVENING HOURS. I HAVE BEEN TO THE DOCTOR, HAD BLOOD TESTS, HYDRA SCAN, ULTRA SOUND, ENDOSCOPY DONE AND THEY WERE ALL FINE. I HAVE HAD TO GO TO THE ER A FEW TIMES WITH THE PAIN & THEY ALWAYS DO BLOOD TESTS AND A ULTRA SOUND TO CHECK MY GALLBLADDER & THE TESTS ARE ALWAYS OK. THE PAIN IS SO BAD IT BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES AND I CAN'T EVEN STAND UP STRAIGHT. THE PAIN GOES AWAY AFTER A FEW HOURS BUT NEVER KNOW WHEN IT IS GOING TO HIT AGAIN, DAYS, WEEKS, EVEN A MONTH HAS GONE BY WITH NO PAIN AND NOW ITS BACK AGAIN. LAST TIME WAS 5 DAYS AGO WHEN I WENT TO THE ER ONCE MORE, I STARTED HAVING THE PAIN AGAIN THIS MORNING SMALL SHARP PAINS, AND I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO THE ER AGAIN FOR NO RESULT. I HAVE A DOCTOR APPT. WITH MY DOCTOR NEXT WEEK, ANY SUGGESTIONS?
From what I've read, sometimes the tests don't always catch a gallbladder in serious trouble.  

I had a lot of pain in my upper right abdomen/rib area and it turned out I had costochondritis.  The pain even made me nauseated.  I had ultrasound and HIDA scan with ejection fraction, but the liver lesions seen on my ultrasound (one a non-giant hemangioma) evidently were NOT the source of pain.  You might look up costochondritis and see if this doesn't sound like a possibility for you.  I was diagnosed by a surgeon and took cyclic NSAIDS and tried to rest the area for mine.   I also believe I used a heating pad and tried ice too.

I also had an abdominal x-ray one time I went in that showed what looked like a large pocket of air (gas) in the upper right side.  It is a common area for gas to collect.  Have you tried a big dose of over the counter simethicone (comes in chewable tablet) to see if it helps any?  What about pushing gently and seeing if there's an air pocket that you can move in case it is gas?
Hello Catt,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. However I am very sorry to hear about your acute undiagnosed pain.

As said above it is possible that a gallbladder problem will only show up on a HIDA scan.

If you have not been evaluated by a gastroenterologist I encourage you consult one. This could be related to a GI issue. I am far from an expert but I think it bears looking an investigation.

What I do know if that you not give up. I know how discouraging it can be but please keep searching. We are hear to support you so please keep in touch. I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best of luck and Please take care,
~Tuck

Hey, im an 18 year old female, and i am expriencing the same kind of pain, at first it resembled a stitch below the right hand side of my ribcage, it feels like a bubble of air and it forces me to inhale and exhale in short breaths to aviod any pain, it hurts sometimes to move, and is excruicating when i cough, (which doesnt help because i also have a cold), i am a smoker, im not sure if this has anything to do with it, ad a student so my consumption of alcohol has increased, im not sure what is under the right hand side of my ribcage, but i thought all these could perhaps lad to a conclusion for the problem, please let me know your thoughts on this because i have missed lots of uni becauase of it and my uni needs a legitimate reason for my bad attendence, please i you have any idea what this is let me know!
I am a 44 year old female. I have been experiencing severe pain, for 4 days now. The pain initially started, at the top of my rib cage, where to ribs attach to the chest bone. After goggling my symptons, I thought I had Costochondrits. However, after I went to the Dr., the pain had moved downward to the bottom of ribcage.  She thoght maybe it was Acid Reflux.  I have never had or experienced anything like that before.  I disagree with her, mainly because, I did have feavor of 102 degrees. I don't think you get a feavor with acid reflux.  She did send me to get an Ultrasound and Blood work done.  Those results are not in yet. Just wondering if anyone has experinced anything like this before.  

I'm starting to think it might be my Gull Bladder, or Liver now.  Hopefully the Ultrasound shows something, and I hear soon. I need to get back to work soon!
Try to move more on to the position where it pains if it is gas or a cramp it wil slowly go away, atleast in my case pain disapeared after an hour.
You can also try hot water bag, and drink luke warm water with 1-2 spoon honey.Also eat atleast two dates each morning and evening, you will be fine in about a month.
If  unbearable pain last for days  better visit to doc/surgeon before things goes worst.