Pain Management Community
Severe Jaw Pain and Headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Severe Jaw Pain and Headaches

Hi my name is Amy and I'm 17 years old.  About 3 months ago, I got the biggest headache I've ever had.  It was so painful that I couldn't get up for 2 days.  Ever since then, I've developed severe pain in my jaw, first it was just on the left side but now it's on both sides.  It constantly hurts even when I'm not moving it and my face feels like it's swollen and tender although there hasn't been any visible signs.
When I bite down, there is really severe pain in the back of my jaw, like where my wisdom teeth were.  It hurts to open my mouth wide and sometimes my jaw cracks. Sometimes it hurts when I swallow too. I do grind my teeth at night, but I've worn a mouth gaurd for 2 months and I haven't noticed any change, in fact, my mouth seems to hurt even worse when I wear it.
     I've noticed my neck and my shoulders feel really really stiff and sore.  It feels almost like I pulled a muscle in my neck and in my shoulders.  I feel like I'm feverish a lot although I haven't had a fever.
Also, I've had severe headaches almost everyday ever since my jaw pain started.  The headaches feel like migranes (migraines) and the top of my head actually feels tender when I touch it.  Sometimes the headaches are so bad that I feel like I got hit in the head with a baseball bat and I get so dizzy and sick.  
When we first came in, my doctor thought it was a sinus infection so he gave me some anti-flammatory pills for it and the pain actually did lessen at first, but then it came back.  We then went my dentist who told me to take 2 Aleve a day for a while and it would help.  I've been doing that for about 3 weeks, but I haven't noticed any difference.  I do get really stressed a lot, but could it really be contributing to these problems?  Please help me.  I've looked up TMJ and some other problems with jaws and I'm afraid that this pain will be permenate.
you should ask your dr to order an mri of your brain and cspine to check for chiari malformation.  there are other things that could cause your symptoms, but this would be my first guess.  especially if your head feels worse when you strain, laugh, cough, sneeze...things like that.  there is a chiari forum here on medhelp if you would like more information.  and if it doesn't sound like a fit to you, an mri is still the only way you can really find out what is going on inside of you. please get your parents to make the appointment for you....just to rule things out!
and do let us know how you are doin!  we care!
elizabeth