Pain Management Community
Severe nerve pain in (R) back/arm/hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Severe nerve pain in (R) back/arm/hand

I had some pain in my neck,back and arm about 3 weeks ago,since had an MRI. It shows like 4 bulging disks along with spinal stenosis and ridging and spurring. I have started PT but the pain won't go away and is tremedous at times. I have spasms around my shoulder blade as well as my neck. But my back hurts and my arm has all sorts of sensations. Im not sure if I have caused so kind of damage in my back trying to rub spasms out. In beggining used icy hot and massager that vibrated. I haven't used since PT started.The area of my back is painful also swollen. You can see big masses around scapula,even looks like a dent. It depends on the position of my arms. I can see the inflamation (inflammation) in different places. But I can also fell the tingling intensify in my arm and hand as I move in different positions (like flexing back) PT has use do exercises. The sensation is painful tingling. I also can press on my forearm and intesify the pain. I cant get comfortable in any position but the pain in my back feels worse than neck at the moment. I also get horrible pain in my fingers and when bad barely can stand the pain It like cutting the circulation of pain. I'm sorry for what a mess this is but It's tought to describe!!LOL!! If I squeeze my hand that sends horrible pain. Even like a cramping pain. I also have tingling sensations in my feet so I know some is related to my neck. I've even woke up multiple times with both arms and legs numb. I'm wondering if I didn't tear a muscle in my back or something. I've had this in lower back and rest normally helps. It is almost a month. Is using my right arm making it worse? It's tough using my right hand. But pressure on my back area causes bad pain in my arm and hand. If I lean my head to the left and exstend my right arm out I can feel the pain from neck to fingers. Can you aggrivate a spasm so bad it can do other damage?? I'm lost and been suffering just short of a month. If anyone has had any similar experiences Please share. Im noticing back pain...It's almost like a sprain pain at times. Plus get the weird bee sting tingling in whole spasm. But my lower outer scapula /lat area feel like a tear,so I'm lost This writting is killing me but thanks for reading. Again sorry for the scattered mess!!
Hi Pauls,

A tardy Welcome to our Community. Excuse my tardy response I've been out of town for the most part of the last week. Your question is important and I apologize for my tardiness. It sounds like you are miserable.... sorry to hear about your pain.

As you know I am not an expert. However I wonder if you may have more then on thing going on at the same time. The unevenness you note in your tissues may be due to muscle spasms.... or muscle knotting. I have this too. I also have fluid filled cysts that according to our area's best surgeon is caused by inflammation of my SI Joint. It may be possible that you have something similar.

It's common that PT will increase your pain initially. You are working the areas that are causing your pain and discomfort. As time passes your pain should decrease. The tingling and bee sting sensations are usually related to your nerves.... either entrapped, irritated, injured or inflamed.

It's been sometime since you wrote this post. which means you should have progressed in your PT. How are you feeling now? Have you noted any change.... better or worse? PT is generally the first approach to conditions such as yours. However it will not change the stenosis of your spinal canal. You may require additional treatment or a change in the treatment.

I will look forward to your updates. Again please excuse my tardy response.

Best Wishes,
~Tuck