Pain Management Community
Tail bone pain??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Tail bone pain??

Hi everyone. I have never posted in this forum before, always in the pregnancy forum but I have decided to post here. I have 3 herniated discs, 3 torn discs and degenerative discs disorder. I gave birth to a beautiful daughter on December 14th, 2007 and ever since I have had her I have this sharp pain in my lower back, actually more in my butt area. It is right where my tailbone is. It hurts to go to the bathroom, and it hurts to sit on it. I can't push to go to the bathroom without pain. Could it just be a bruised tailbone from sitting with my daughter so much or could this be coming from my discs problems? I go back to my pain management doctor on Monday to talk to him about it but I thought I would ask you all what you opinions were also. I hope you can help! I really appreciate it. Having all of these back problems make it really hard to enjoy my daughter. Being in constant pain SUCKS. I do take vicodin and neurontin for pain but most of the time it doesn't help....please anyone with some ideas...I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I am only 27 years old.

Thanks,
Danielle
When I was 26 years old and had my first baby, my only post-partum problem was tailbone pain.  I am 59 years old now and always thought that it was a strange problem.  My baby had a swollen, red area on the back of his head- so it was thought to be caused by pressure on my tailbone during the labor period.  The doctor gave me a rubber, inflated "donut" to sit on.  No one could separate me from my "donut" because of the throbbing pain.  I finally had to give it up when it burst from longterm use.
At the time, I thought the pain could have been related to my having chronic, periodic pain in my tailbone since childhood. Doctors could never explain it.
I had fallen on my butt fairly hard on concrete steps as a child.  I could never bear sitting on the metal chairs in high school; and doctors gave me notes to excuse me from "floor exercises" in high school & college.
My mom always said "the pain will stop once you have a baby and the tailbone breaks out of the way".  As an O.B. aide, she said she often heard the tailbone break.  That was in the 1940's.
It's still a mystery to me: I still get pain once in a while and I've always had ample natural cushioning around my tailbone.
My sister had the same issues with all 3 of her children.  The last one finally did her in.  After giving birth to her last baby, she couldn't move for over a month from the tailbone pain.  Her doctor told her that the ligaments that hold the pelvic area in place had been stretched out from her pregnacies, resulting in the joints not always being in their proper places. In turn, those bones put pressure on certain nerves resulting in pain around the tailbone area along with lower back pain.  It took a lot of physical therapy and exercising (over 2 years) to entirely get rid of the pain.  The exercises allowed the muscles to take over much of the job that those stretched out ligaments should be doing.  

What did your pain doctor tell you?  Since you haven't posted back on this thread, I'm hoping you're feeling better now.  :-)
Did you get epidurals that will cause the pain your describing. If you do not lie down head stable as well as your body you can cause real damage your dr will know about this. Also you need xray to rule out fracture of tailbone.
Everyone is talking about birth and having tailbone pain.  I am 30 years old, never been preg. and for the past 5+ years have been SUFFERING with tailbone pain...and it is more of an extreme painful pressure and gets worse with going to the bathroom, coughing, sneezing, sex, a damn hug even, ect.  I do have 2 herniated discs and have had 14 epidurals, an SI joint injection, prolotherapy, accupuncture, 2 years of PT and massage therapy.  i am at the end of my rope with this.  NOW my new husband and I are talking kids and i KNOW in my heart i just can't do with it with my pain.  my parents think this is all in my head and i am seeking any type of help.   anyone have anything else i can try?  i am starting biofeedback and thinking of hypnotherapy.
thanks
Jennifer