Pain Management Community
Tailbone pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Tailbone pain

The past few days or so I have been experiencing pain around my tailbone area. It will get worse when I sit a certain way and I will have to get up because the pain is too uncomfortable. I have no idea what it could be from...any ideas?
I unfortunately have a lot of experience with tailbone pain, but it originally was the result of a severe injury from falling down a flight of stairs.  If you have no idea where it could be from, I am assuming that you had no accident.  I've done quite a bit of research, and coccyx pain can stem from many different things.  If your coccyx bone happened to move in any way (because some people have coccyx bones that can move--from the joint with the sacrum), then you could have pain from the movement...it could have shifted slightly---and I have found that all tailbone pain is awful.  A great site that is dedicated to all pains of the coccyx, is www.coccyx.org.  You may find that someone's story is similar to yours.  You may in the long run want to see your doctor.   An x-ray may show if it is out of place in any way.  
This is just a suggestion as to what it may be...if you have any more details, I may be of more help...I hope it is not too painful for you, and that you can at least rest at night:)
Hello Rose,

Optimus has offered a helpful site for coccyx pain. The coccyx is the very end of our spine. It is thought that many years ago it was part of out "tail", hence the more common name for the coccyx, the "tail bone."

Inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks is referred to as coccydynia. There are many causes, some times the cause is unknown. There are also treatments available for this condition. The first step is to consult with your PCP for an exact diagnosis.

A close relative had coccyx pain for a number of years. It was determined that hers was due to an abnormality at birth in the bone structure of her coccyx. It required surgical intervention. She is now much more comfortable than prior to the repair.

I encourage you to seek a diagnosis and proper treatment for your symptoms. Please let us know how you are doing and keep us updated. Best of luck to you.

Take Care,
~Tuck~