Pain Management Community
Tolerance to Pain Meds WAY to high

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Tolerance to Pain Meds WAY to high

Hello, I have been on Methadone for a year now for my tolerance for pain medication is way to high, I have to take like 20 10mg oxycodones to even match 1 10 mg methadone.  I dont understand, I had a baby by C section and they put me on a diladid pump and that wouldnt even help me with my pain. I can go though 150 Percs or Vics in 10 days to just get the pain managable. I dont understand what is going on here. why is my tolerance so dang high. The docs in the hospital cant even understand. I get called a drug seeker and deal with all that cause 1 shot of pain meds in my IV wont even help my pain. Does anyone know how I can lower my tolerance without stopping my meds cause if I do I go into severe withdrawl (withdrawal). Also with the Benzos I have to take like 8 mg of Valium to get the effect, and also muscle relaxers, I have to take like 5 flexeryl to get help and also Ambien, I have to take like 60mg of that to help me sleep. This is starting to really scare me. When I have surgeries they have to use so much medication to even put me to sleep and when I come out I scream in pain cause none of the pain meds are working and they get so frustrated with me that they try to get me out of recovery asap. The docs just think Im looking to get high, and are afraid to give me to much cause I can go into a coma or die, but really I can take like 20 10mg Vics and Percs and have it not affect me at all.  what is wrong with me? I take 80 mg a day of Methadone and that doesnt help either. I just have to live with the pain and destroy my liver cause nothing helps. Im so jelouse of the people that get relief from 1 5mg vicodin. I wish that was me. Then I can really span out my medications and never run out. Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I don't want to freak you out but you are in a lot of stuff and I question who is prescibing all this junk to you. It sounds like you are going to have to start tapering your meds back and learn to deal with some pain in your life or face certain death. Maybe find another PCP or go to Doctor first thing and get real with Him or Her about your situation. You may have to go to detox and get some help to get off this stuff. It is not worth what you are going through not to just deal with it. Life is precious.
Just to let you know I dont take all those at once, these are medications that I been on over a span of a while, all I take now is 80 mg of Methadone, and oxycodone for breakthough pain and Valium for anxiety, pain and to help me sleep. I dont take the muscle relaxers anymore, or the ambien. And I love the doc I am with, he is amazing and listens to me and I am real with him about everything. he understands my pain is bad and that I have a very high tolerance, and he doesnt treat me like a pill seeker. I just understand my tolerance. My pain is a life long thing, there is no help or cure and im going to have to have more surgeries and a elbow replacement down the road. I asked my doc about Tapering but he said that I will just be right back where I am now. but I might just have to taper myself so I can have a lower tolerance when I do have to go in for surgeries. or find a suboxone program that takes my insurance, that would be the best thing. Suboxone is such a amazing drug, I didnt have to take much of it,, I never got addicted to it, and there was no withdrawls from it and the best part of it is that it helped with the pain more than any other pain medications. I think it should be easier to access, It could change  ALOT of peoples lives and hopefully someday it will be the number 1 drug for pain management.
I just came off methadone 20 mg a day. It was the worst, pain in the *** drug I ever came off of. I tried to cold turkey and couldn't (I got sick with fever and my skin felt like it was going to burn off) and so I  ended up tapering it slowly. I have never been on Suboxone though, I am on ultram which is doing nothing now and I am in bed all day in pain waiting for back surgery to happen. I also have fybromyalgia.