Treatment options for CRPS or RSD
Are there any treatment options for CRPS or RSD other than painkillers or in combination with painkillers that can help someone who has had the disease for over two years?  Does anyone have a story about CRPS or RSD that has a happy ending? What are the best medications and treatment options? Any information would be a really huge help. Currently I am taking Methadone, Lyrica, Cesamet, Baclofen, Citalopram as well as Hydromorphone for breakthrough.  The drugs help control the pain but my condition seems to be slowly getting worse and worse and I am scared to say the least.
Please help,
Don T. Wannadie
Sorry to hear your RSD seems to be getting worse.  Not sure what body parts are affected.  Mine is mostly my hand and seems to have stemmed from numerous surgeries.  I take a lot of medication, though I couldn't tolerate Lyrica or Neurontin for different reasons.

Lately I've been having stellate ganglion blocks and they do help.  Doesn't get rid of all of it or forever, but it takes a lot of pain away and I get relief from that pain for a couple of months.

What kind of doctor are you seeing?

I'm glad you found this forum; it's a terrific resource.  But you should know there are NO doctors here.  We're all just chronic pain patients sharing our ups and downs and successes and failures.  It's been a lifesaver to me.
Hello Don,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us at MedHelp and took the time to post. I must apologize that I do not have personal information to share with you regarding  CRPS or RSD.

I had a young employee that suffered with RSD. She sought help and treatment from a variety of physicians with little releif. She finally went to the Mayo Clinic. It took many  months but they were successful in reducing her symptoms with multiple treatments and some medication changes.

I am so sorry that you condition appears o be deteriorating. If you haven't had multiple opinions I encourage you to do so. Keep searching. Sometimes it only take the right physician with the right approach to find a working solution. I know if must be very frustrating but don't give up.

I may not have personal information on RSD but I certainly do chronic pain and disabilities as many of our members do also. I know how very disheartening living with chronic pain and it's challenges can be. My heart goes out to you.

Please keep in touch. Feel free to ask additional questions and participate in our forum. I will look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Here are some therapies I have found that may help...

Acupuncture/Acupressure: a series of treatments to control pain using wafer thin needles.
Antioxidants and Nutritional Supplements: to strengthen the immune system can be given by a qualified naturopath.
Chiropraxy
Diet: certain foods and substances will increase or decrease pain.  
Herbal Medicines: can be administered and monitored by a qualified naturopathy.
MASSAGE: There are many types e.g. Manual Lymph Drainage(MLD) aka Lymphatic Massage .Techniques are designed to stimulate the lymphatics and calm the nervous system without stimulating blood flow. MLD can help lymphedema, a common problem in CRPS.
MEDICAL MEDITATION
MOIST HEAT: Several methods can help: e.g.. warm bath, exercising in a whirlpool, and Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) soaks. The salts reduce swelling and inflammation. Generally, try 2 cups in a warm bath, soaking for 30-45" two or three times a day. For those unable to use a bathtub, soak the extremity in a large pail or make an epsom salt paste for specific areas of the body.
Photonic Stimulator: a infrared light device stimulates acupuncture points in the body.
Podiatry: e.g.. orthotics for better walking and posture.
Naturopathic Medicine: Using herbs, nutrition, homeopathy, acupuncture, physical medicine and Oriental Medicine can be helpful.
QI GONG: Recent studies with chronic CRPS patients show Qi Gong can play an effective role in pain management by calming, relieving stress and engaging the parasympathetic system.
RELAXATION TECHNIQUES : These techniques help calm the body, reduce anxiety, anger and depression. Using specific training methods e.g. progressive muscle relaxation, or guided imagery. Biofeedback, learned from a psychologist, can be effective in pain control without drugs.
YOGA: Gentle rehabilitative yoga can be very effective for chronic pain by activating the parasympathetic system ("rest and repair" system). Restorative poses can also be very calming. Other forms of yoga, e.g. Hatha, Ashtanga, Kundalini, also can be helpful but may be too difficult for beginners. In our experience it is best to start with a gentle form with a knowledgeable practitioner.
OTHER TOOLS: Other methods which may help with pain control are Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, and Tai Chi.

i want to say that i cant be treated here in german because i am in the army and they let me sit here and suffer but there is no cure just keep trying buddy i know it hurts i do i got hit with and ied and shrapnekl went in my stomack and i have crps type 2 in my right abdomin i know buddy just keep moving dont let the pain take your life away
did you recover?
Hello and Welcome Mearsy,

I am sorry to say Smithsonia has not been active on MedHelp for some time. This is a very old thread. On rare occasions an inactive member may respond to a note or message left on their Profile Page - you may want to try that approach.

Please when responding to threads - check the dates - or the activity of the person you wish to reach. If you have questions please feel free to ask. We welcome your participation and input. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best Wishes,
~Tuck