Pain Management Community
Ultracet Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Ultracet Question

Anyone out there that can feel me in on Ultracet experiences?  My doctor put me on this instead of Hydrocodone today and said that since I take Effexor XR that there is a possibility of seizures.   I have researched this since and have read all the medical info but would like to hear from real people and their experiences.  I have take Hydrocodone since April of last year, 1 or 2 5/500 a day on average and rarely 3 or 4.  There are some days that I have not needed it but most days I do.  Is Ultracet a lot different as far as pain relief?  Does it take the pain away like the Lortab does?  Any comments or help you can give would really be appreciated.  Thanks a million!!

By the way, my blood pressure has always been 110 or 120 over 60 or 70 and today it was way up for me, 150 over 91.  Can being on hydrocodone for an extended time do this or is just because my pain level has been high today?  Any thoughts or comments on this?
  Ultracet or tramadol sucks, it's good for squawt. But the Docs like it because the manufacturer says it's not addictive and it's not a controlled substance,but it is very addictive. I hope you find relief for your pain,it's a real tuff road to find.

Harry
I have read both your posts and have come to one simple conclusion.  You are addicted to the hydro/lortab.  I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, however all of the behaviors in your writing and questions are that of the classic case.  If you need more hydros to function becuase of w/ds and pain, let your doctor know. THey are more likely to help you then.  Ultracet will not treat your pain the same way.  It is not a narcotic like hydrocodone/lortab.  Good luck...
If I were to be addicted to the hydro as you think, then how is it that I can go for many days and not need it?  I thought if a person was addicted that they need it daily.  I had none today but plan to start on the Ultracet when I do need something.  I don't have any more of the hydrocodone so it shouldn' t be a problem.  Am I correct in thinking this?  

I have never thought of myself as being addicted because I don't take it every day and I take such a small amount.  I discussed this with my doctor today and he said his concern was that I would start needing more even though I have not yet.  I expressed concern to him about the possiblity of becoming addicted and he did not seem to think that was an issue but maybe he was mistaken.  He sees many pain patients so I would hope that he would know.  

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
When one is in pain they do not become addicted to pain killers snapteach is wrong and in my opinion rude. Look at the research done on this in journel of american medicine. Addicted and needing it to function for pain relief are two totaly different things. And as you take it over time you will ned to raise your dose as you become tolerant. Try the ultracet but in my opinion it will not help you, Tell your doc it is not adequate for your pain and you would like to continue with your hydro as it helps you function and if he declines find a new doc. Chronic pain is just as important as getting help for diabetes or heart problems, you need treatment so seek until you find some, Always a pleasure
Now I am really confused.  How could I be rude when I am just trying to understand?  I have never meant to say I need more of any pain medicine per day, just more as in a prescription of something that can help if I need it.  I am perfectly willing to try the Ultracet but was concerned because my doctor mentioned seizures because of my being on Effexor XR.  This scared me!!  I didn't think that was a possibility with the hydrododone.  

Please do not think that I ever meant to be rude to anyone.  If I sounded that way at all, I am sorry.  I just need advice.
Ultram  isn't a good painreliever and is harder to get off than hydrocodone. If you are in real pain a true narcotic would be better than ultram with less problems after.
I was referring to your post to crazierbytheay that he was addicted. when we are in pain and need help thats the last thing we want to hear, Addiction in pain pts is rare, Always a pleasure
I see what you mean.  I was referring to someone who used it for purposes other than pain and I did not make this clear.  Having been in pain for 4 years and at times to the point of agony, I certainly understand that needing pain medicine does not make one an addict.  I feel that if you need it for pain, then noone has the right (I am referring to doctors and others who don't have a clue what pain is like) to question what a person in pain really needs.  Only people like the ones of us on this forum who have experienced this kind of pain and gone through the agony of being made to feel like a terrible person because we NEED the medication can really understand this.  

When I am putting down my thoughts in writing, it seems my brain is ahead of my fingers.  I know what I mean but am not the best in the world at getting it across.  I do know that I feel deeply for all the people on this forum because as I am, we all know and understand pain all too well.  If we didn't we would not be searching for answers and support.  That is the wonderful thing about this.  We can all help one another.  I know how much I appreciate it!

I'm in favor of strong pain meds when needed but not in favor of ultram unles it works well and you will stay on it for life. It is less potent and is harder to get off of than opiates probably because of it's antidepressant features. all the best
I'm in favor of strong pain meds when needed but not in favor of ultram unles it works well and you will stay on it for life. It is less potent and is harder to get off of than opiates probably because of it's antidepressant features I have a few friends that can't get off of it and have tried.. all the best
From what a lot of you have said, the Ultracet scares me more than the hydrocodone.  I have been on it and have not had to up the dosage to get the relief I need at this point.  It sounds like the Ultracet is more addictive and you tend to have to up the doasage quicker.

I am having another procedure done on my neck next week and I plan to discuss a lot of your comments and suggestions with them.  Thank you so much for sharing with me.  I need to know that someone really understands that pain takes a toll on your life in all ways and areas.  My life since my wreck and 2 surgeries has never been the same.  The pain, depression, money issues from all the medical bills, and other things from this have forever changed me.  Thanks to all who understand and care!!
don't start using the ultracet!!!!  IT doesn't work worth **** and it is highly highly addictive, the docs tell you it isn't BUT IT IS and the withdrawls from them are terrible in case you was to ever run out before your refill..........Take my advice hun, don't start them