Pain Management Community
When morphine doesn't work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

When morphine doesn't work

I was scheduled for a bone marrow biospy and was given morphine for pain and sedation.  I was given an injection into the iv and it had no effect what so ever.  My blood pressure shot up to 188/90. The doctor sent me home without doing the biopsy.  What just happened and why did the morphine not work?
Tags: morphine
Id be questioning the hospital about that... there is another member on this forum who had a procedure done- a colonscopy I believe,  and unbeknownst to him at the time, a nurse/addict had switched the narcotic with something else- giving him NO pain relief. I would be wondering if something like this has happened to you as well. Are you normally on a high dose of regular opiates and have a huge tolerance? You did not state if so or not, but even if you have been on narcotics I would think the morphine would have had some effect.. Post back to us with more info
No have not taken any regular opiates.  I am having tests run to found out if I have multiple myeloma.  I have not been given morphine before and did expect to feel a little sleepy.  I think the worst thing to happen was the doctor just walked out and said that they procedure would not be done.  I felt humiliated and angry.  They be able to reschedule the biopsy in 2 weeks. At that time I will be given general anethestic.  
ok, I would most definitely press the issue with the hospital..it sounds like someone is stealing drugs at the hospital. Sadly it happens more ofen than you might think...wishing you the best..
Hi Anna,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry to hear about the strange reaction you had to morphine.

It is a sad truth that narcotic medications can even be diverted in a hospital setting. I can think of no good reason why you should not have had some sedation effects with the morphine. Your B/P may have been elevated due to anxiety. That would not be abnormal. However you should have felt some effect from the narcotic, especially since you are not taking them on a regular basis.

I understand your anger but you have nothing to feel humiliated about. It was not your fault and you did nothing wrong. I too would look into this and insist on answers.

Take Care,
Tuck
i was told yesterday by the doctor that I am just wired differently.  The bone marrow biopsy has been rescheduled using differnt drugs.  I hope this will take care of it.
Thanks,
Anna91
a few years ago when i was 16 i went into the hospital with severe chronic abdominal pain, later to b diagnosed as crohns. i had a morphine pump and it did absolutely nothing to me. i went to the ER last night and they gave me morphine again and again it did nothing. the only thing that i have ever found to manage my pain is a drug called dilaudid but alot of docs dont like to use it. but youre not alone, morphine might as well be saline to my body
Hi Lulu,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum.

I haven't seen Anna on the forum since she posted this. You might want to try sending her a PM.

I am sorry to hear that you have Crohn's Disease. We have a Gastroenterology Forum that you might want to post on. If you have any problems locating it please let me know.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck
I was just taken off percocet for chronic pain i've had for over 2 years and put on oxymorphodone. The dr said he didn't want me on percoet for so long b/c of they tylenol in it and that can cause liver damage. I looked up the new med online & found it it's similar to morphine. It does NOT relieve my pain. I've read that some meds just don't work on certain people. So, i'm going back to the dr. in 2 days to discuss this and have something changed. This is weird. They told me it's about twice as strong as the 5 mg. percocet and i definitely couldn't tell. Grrrrrr....getting tired of trial and error.
I have found as a nurse and a patient that there are things morphine helps and other problems you feel nothing.  Most pts when they were givin phenergan I'm they would be sleepy. But sure enough it doesn't everyone because it didn't help me.  read where antidepressants decreased effect of versed. Versed is the drug that helps you not remember things.    If you have arthritis pain.... And take morphine. It probably not help much. You need a medication that deals with the aspects of arthritis.
I have found as a nurse and a patient that there are things morphine helps and other problems you feel nothing.  Most pts when they were givin phenergan I'm they would be sleepy. But sure enough it doesn't everyone because it didn't help me.   People just react differently to medications. The doctors medicate differently but you did right . Bone biopsy is very painful.
I hate that for you.  I have assisted some doctors where I would have to beg dr to give pt pre med for pain. I've seen this procedure. I would want to be knocked out.
I have abdominal migrains( yep abdominal).  It causes me great pain and nausea . Morphine and zofran wouldn't touch it. When they gave me dilaudid  
and zofran it broke the cycle and I could get better control of it. The vomiting stopped. My bp was fine.  Is this common?
I have the very same reaction to morphine with an abdominal migraine. Over and over it never works.  I'm not used to meds. They look at you like you are just there for narcotics.  I just need pain relief and nausea and vomiting relief.
Dilaudid 1 mg and it brought it way down in about 30 min.
I hade zofran with both drugs each time.  When you go back when you can't put it off any longer at home alternating zofran and phenergan. Dry heaves only and guess what the DR orders MORPHINE! That's if you get anything at all!
It does seem never ending sometimes