Pain Management Community
Widespread Muscle and joint pain and anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hello, I'm a 27 year old male. I've had very odd muscle and joint pain for the last few years...It started with my ribcage I was told by a doctor I had inflammation in my ribcage it went away after a few weeks and would come and go. A year ago, I had a severe panic attack that I believe was related to my chest pain since it felt like I could not breathe. The panic attack left me in a daze(I felt like nothing was real) for a month. Ever since then I've had an increase in anxiety and mini attacks here and there, but I have noticed over the last year my joints and muscles(everywhere) hurt really bad all the time but aren't related to normal muscle pain from exercise or working. For instance, right now I haven't been doing much since it's the holidays but my biceps and the joint area on the oppisite side of my elbows hurts like crazy. Somedays its my thigh and knee, Forearms and wrist, calves and ankles, lower back and butt, my entire ribcage, my upper back and neck to the top of my head.The pain comes in few different forms sometimes it is a deep aching and lasts a day or so, Sometimes it's a quick stabbing/burning pain that lasts for a few hours. Sometimes the pain is intense and other times just annoying. I've been having alot of muscle twitches as well.  Also, I have been waking up with that "daze" I mentioned before and then it will go away after a few hours or last all day. I have been to the doctor before about this and I feel like they have no clue what to do for me. All I get told is to take Prozac and talk to a psychiatrist about anxiety. Doesn't help much, I don't feel like Prozac does anything for me and the psychiatrist wants me to take deep breathes ( I could of figured that out without the ridiculous bills).
same here my friend.. unfortuanately i suffer severe health anxiety.. not nice.  I have all of the same symptoms you described, every single one. the dazed feeling is depersonalization. ... i get that, its horrible.. i was put on antidepressants but was for relaxing muscles that helped but made me very tired.  let us know how you get on x
I have had the same problems for about 7 years.I have been to doctors and a medical reason for all over body pain could not be found.Only a few disc problems in my back were found.A pinched nerve that was all.I had very good insurance so lots of tests were done.Most Doctors or at least the ones I have seen don't ask about nutrition and vitamin deficencies.The first to deficencies to look into would be the B complex group and vitamin D.and then iron.One or even all 3 of these deficencies could cause what you have.Or I should say what we both have.You could be tested at a independant lab with out being ordered by a doctor I think I right about that but not positive.Most people when they look into vitamin deficencies do a quik search read a few lines a think they got it covered. Not so you have to  read about it in great detail.Even if you don't have extreme deficencies you will still need this information to maintain your health.To correct some deficencies could take up to a year This might be why doctors don't get into this with out being requested.The way I looked at it try your best to get every vitamin you need.This is how you should fuel your body anyway on high grade fuel.I have only been taking vitamins for a couple of months time will tell if it does anything for my condition.I can't be sure if it helping any yet.I have good day and bad days.Too many vitamins are not good you need the correct amounts this part is very easy once you read up on it.Best of luck in 2012
  I made alot of spelling errors sorry I can't type
Thanks for reading my post richard. I don't think I have a vitamin deficiency because since my panic attack (1+year)I've been supplementing with some good multivitamins and taking magnesium,calcium, and vitamin D supplements daily..along with exercise (yoga, taichi, walking/hiking). I live in the north so I take an extra vitamin D in the winter. I feel like my anxiety is under control for the most part ( I swear by guidied meditation). It's just this pain is getting worse and seems like it won't go away. It's wearing me down fast I feel like I'm going to be an old man by the time I'm 30. It just ***** right now my calves, hips, lower back, left bicep/tendon, right side of my head hurts and have shooting pains down my shoulders..I think these feeling would make anyone anxious..I'm going to the doctor here again in January and I'm demanding some tests!