Pain Management Community
bone spur

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

bone spur

I have a bone spur under my achilles tendon. Is there a way to disintegrate the spur without cutting the tendon and grinding down the spur. This is the only alternative I have been given, but I have heard that it is possible to get rid of the bone spur through laser treatment to dissolve the spur. Does the cleveland clinic offer such an alternative?
Hi Eddm,
Welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I am sorry you have a bone spur under your Achilles tendon. It must be very painful. There are not physicians on this forum. Our members offer support and suggestions from their experiences or knowledge.  I am sorry but I don't know about laser treatments at the Cleveland Clinic. I may be able to research it for you. I'll see what I can discover for you but I don't know how much luck I will have via Internet.
Sorry I hit the post comment before I was finished. I just wanted to add that I would get back to you later this evening. Take care and I'll post again after I can do that search for you, Tuck
Hi again,

I goggled the Cleveland Clinic. I could not locate any information on laser surgery at Cleveland. They have an affiliation with the Chester County Hospital and after a few clicks I was able to locate the following:

The Orthopedic Center  at The Chester County Hospital
In the fast paced society in which we live today, bone and joint problems can prevent you from enjoying your usual active lifestyle. No matter what's slowing you down, a nagging problem, a sports injury or an unexpected trip to the Emergency Department, our team of orthopedic specialists, nurses and therapists provide a comprehensive array of services all aimed at getting you back to your normal pace of life as quickly as medically possible.

Leading the team are our board-certified physicians who offer patients both surgical and nonsurgical treatments for all areas of orthopedics such as reconstructive surgery, the treatment of hand and upper extremity problems, joint replacement surgery, arthritis management, back and neck disorders, sports medicine injuries and problems of the foot and ankle.

It claims to preform NON-Surgical intervention with problems with the foot and ankle. I am hopeful that includes laser surgery. Good luck to you. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck to you, Tuck

I'm not sure about a bone spur, but I had a partial tear of my achilles tendon several years ago. It didn't heal properly, and now has a large lump of scar tissue on it, and swells and is very tender most of the time. My foot dr wanted to use the laser technique to break up this scar tissue. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the bone spur just as well. I was told wouldn't even need a cast or anything, just rest for a few days, and as good as new.  Unfortunatly, my insurance company wouldn't cover it, as it was considered experimental.......this was 2 years ago. They would pay for regular open knife surgery, 6 weeks off work and in a cast. Didn't make sense to me! So I am still limping around, and in pain most of the time.  You could always call Cleveland Clinic and ask. I'm sure if they don't do it, they would know who does. I hope you can get it done, and come back and post how it goes!