Pain Management Community
facial pain and swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

facial pain and swelling

I have facial inflammation/edema under my eyes, malar and cheek areas.  I look like I have two big bags sweeping across my cheeks.  This started about two and half years ago.  I have a significant amount of pain such that I was unable to drive in a car because the shifting in the car would put pressure on my face.  Laying down to sleep was horrific.  It is not electric shock pain, more like the pain from an infection.  I suffered until I was prescribed Lyrica last year.  I am still swollen and as the swelling increases so does the pain, but it seems the Lyrica might keep it at bay.   I'm swollen under my eye enough  that when I focus upward, I feel a lot of pressure - like there is little room for my eye to move.  And, it causes lower eyelid pain.  The under eyelid is tender to the touch. The question I have is, does this sound like a neurological problem?  No one has offered me a diagnosis.  I can tell you that it is not the following: Thyroid related, Lupus, Sojogrens, sinuses (although I had sinus surgery, just in case), allergies (I did find out I'm allergic to dust mites), or the many other diseases I was tested for.  I've been to eye docs, ocular plastics, rhuemy, ENTS, allergist, dermos, etc. - UPenn, Hopkins, NYU, etc.   A 2mm punch biopsy revealed nonspecific inflammation in the area.  I'm being treated with plaquneil right now  to see if it helps.  So far, nothing.  Any thoughts, any information or any direction would be appreciated.  
Hi Bella,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I m glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your painful undiagnosed condition.

It sounds like you have been to all the appropriate physicians. My only suggestion would to to obtain second opinions. Sometimes new sets of eyes can bring a diagnosis. I always suggest that your physicians be in a large, well know and respected clinic affiliated with a large teaching hospital such as a university teaching medical center. I sounds like you are currently in the right place but I still think a second opinion would be a good step.  

It is possible it that it is a neurological problem. It certainly would not hurt to pursue that possibility. Hopefully one of our members will offer additional suggestions. At this point I hope you are at least comfortable. If your pain is severe and uncontrolled than I suggest you discuss this with your physicians and ask for better pain control.

Best of luck to you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck