Pain Management Community
leg numbness and spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

leg numbness and spasms

I had L4-L5 herniated disc surgery about five years ago.  Recently, my right leg spasms near the knee when I try to bend it.  Hard to describe the actual pain, but I feel the nerve pain and spasm.  Any ideas?
This is about what I have/have had for as many years. 15 minutes in a hot tub and then stretching should help. My spasms are in the calves behind each of my legs and behind my thighs. It almost feels like when you wake up at night feeling a pulled muscle like pain in your leg and all you can do is grab it and wait a minute and it goes away. That is not a good description but like you say it is just hard to explain. My disc isnt herniated but the pathways for the nerves in that area, L4-5 are restricted due to Stenosis and maybe Arthritis too and it is probably just going to get worse. Two surgeries took away some sciatica but not this pain and I dont have insurance anymore. I am 51. Good luck.
Avatar n tn
I am a 22 year old female. For the past year  I have been having painful nighttime leg spasms. They are excruciating. I wake up to feel one of my legs seize up with horrible shooting pain, and then it spasms for about 15 seconds. It also goes numb. Now, two days ago, I had a seizure after one of my spasms occured upon waking. Two people witnessed it and I was taken to the ER. A neurologist has put me on Keppra, and wants to also put me on quinine for the "nighttime" leg cramps. I should also mention that I have a slipped disc and extra bone growth in my lower back that I will one day need surgery for. I though perhaps this was causing my leg problems, but how could it possibly cause a seizure? Any advice would be helpful, as I have gotten no help from doctors and am becoming increasingly miserable. Thanks.