Pain Management Community
paain med regimen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

paain med regimen

I have 2 bulging diclsc in the lumbar fegion that are sitting on the l4 l5 nerve and sciatic nerve. Plus arthritis in upper lumbar region. I have been on so many meds and the only thing that helps is percocet. Any suggestions? My doc wants mue on thelonger acting meds with minimal break through meds. I dont do well on oxycontin, any suggestions?
Hi there...

It is very common for most Drs. to move their patients from a short acting medication to a long acting one when they move from the "acute" pain phase...which is up to three months to the "chronic" pain phase, which is thereafter.

I'm confused on why you wouldn't do well on Oxycontin if you do well on Percocet. It is the exact same opiate. Oxycodone. The only difference is that it lasts longer. Obviously the Percocet has Acetaminophen in it..so if you are on Oxycontin you can always add a Tylenol if needed.

But this is going to not make sense to your Dr. if you tell them this.

And with spine issues....an opiate is not the main medication for treatment. Most patients are on a nerve pain medication like Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta. These target specific nerve pain which is your main source of pain with the herniated discs and sciatic nerve pain. An opiate does not work well for this.

Same thing with having a muscle relaxer to take as needed. Flexeril, Skelaxin, Robaxin, Baclofen, or Zanaflex. This is very useful for those times with bad muscle spasms...

Again...an opiate does not target spasms. An opiate just makes our brain not "care" as much. And sure, it can be a small part of one's treatment...but it should never be the main part.

There is also daily exercise, yoga/stretching, acupuncture, ultrasound massage, physical therapy, aqua therapy, TENS unit, ice, heat, injections, steroids, counseling, not smoking, eating healthy, etc..

If you tell a Dr. that the "only" thing that helps is Percocet...I can guarantee you are going to have a really tough time with pain management as that will raise some major red flags to most Drs.

I wish you luck..
Forgot to mention already on max dose 800 mg gabapentin. And I still fan't control pain to go back to a simple job. So frustrated....
Plus soma for spasms. So confused!