pain in my hand and forearm
i have a pain in the palm of my left hand and it is shooting up my left arm aching very bad. the palm of my hand near my thumb is sort of blue too.. what could this be from?
Poor computer ergonomics is a possibility.
Hello Jett,

Welcome to our pain Mangement Forum. I am so glad that you found us on MedHelp and took the time to share your symptoms with us. I am however sorry that you are having pain.

I assume that this is new? Do you have any numbness or tingling with this? Does activity make it worse or is it worse after sleeping?

You don't give your age. Could this be a cardiac issue? If you think that is a possibility than please seek a medical evaluation asap.

Another thought is carpel tunnel? However CT usually has other symptoms and is very noticeable in the morning upon waking.

This could be referred pain. Meaning felt in one location but originating in another. In your case I am wondering if it could be a cervical spine problem. However because you note a blueness in your thumb this usually occurs when there is a circulatory problem. Again you don't state your age which could be a factor. Do you have circulation issues in other areas of your body?

I would also wonder if you could have injured your hand and not have been aware of it. Blood clots have been known to form in the arm. If this is a sharp shooting pain I suggest that you seek medical treatment today. If you cannot get into see your normal PCP can you go to an Urgent Care Center?

It may be nothing serious but I suggest that you not ignore your pain. Pain is our bodies way of telling us that something is not right. I hope that you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I will look forward to your updates with interest.

Take Care,
~Tuck
I'm pretty certain this is nothing to be concerned about Jett.  
I imagine you as young, perhaps an avid online gamer/techie.  You're probably too young for carpal tunnel full development, but may be inching up to it with the poor work-desk/lap PC ergonomics. Pull-out, swiveling keyboard tray is a must.  Good chair helps too, along with posture.  Oh...and then there is the texting.  This enters an entire new realm of hand/arm unwanted sensations.

Let's not over-analyze and inflating this, but at the same time address it from a conservative angle.  We know nothing about you to give you a definite reason to worry.  Think it through and get back if you'd like.
If this is computer use related, there is an ergonomic pad for your wrist you can use.  It's soft and about 4 inches long.  You just use it to rest your wrist while mousing.  My husband uses one.  Now, if he'd just get me one!!  Check out a computer supply store.
Sara
I have this pain in my palm, and it feels worse when I use my hand, like grasping a cup or turning on a tap, even pinching my fingers together when I pick up chips hurts pretty badly, also the pain goes up my forearm. The pain is on my left side. I am a 28 year old female, I work as a long term care aide, (working with the elderly) I don't know if my job would be something to do with this pain or not. Any thoughts what this may be?