Pain Management Community
pain lower left side of back, butt, and stomach

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have been getting sharp pains in my lower left side of my back and side stomach area the pain then shoots down my legs and hurts really bad what could it be.
hi hohum,

sounds like sciatica,lots of people get it,
many people on this forum suffer similar symptoms, someone will come along and offer advice based on thier experiences.
i've never had it so i'll leave the answers to someone who knows better.

nick
Hello Hohum,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear that you are in pain.

I have sciatica from SI joint Dysfunction. Sciatica is not a disease or condition it is a symptom. Your pain does sound similar to sciatica as Nick suggested. The stomach pain does not normally go along with sciatica. In my opinion it is a separate symptom and possibly a clue to your diagnosis. There are so many causes of sciatica that it would be impossible to venture a guess as to what may be going on in your case.

Sciatica means that the sciatic nerve is irritated or compressed. Sciatica pain is typically felt from the low back to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee. It can radiate into the foot though this is not considered common. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and begins from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back and extends through the buttock area to send nerve endings down the lower limb. It can be from a disc problem pressing on the nerve, a cyst, severe muscle spasms, an new or old injury or other causes that would compress that nerve.

My best suggestion is that you make an appointment to see your PCP. A clinical evaluation has no substitute. In the mean time you may want to try to rest the part, ice or heat which ever feels better can help or rotating between the two. NSAID's taken as directed on the label (if not contraindicated) can help reduce inflammation.  

Please let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates. Best of luck and take care, Tuck