routine bloodwork?
Is it standard procedure for your physician to do bloodwork and test for ten single classes of drugs if you are taking one controlled substance.  Of course my tests came back fine( I don't even drink or smoke ) but I felt a bit violated and it was over a three thousand dollar bill to my insurance company. I was not informed these tests were being done. When I asked my fairly new doctor, he said this is standard procedure and is done every few months.  I've never had these drug screenings done before and I need to know if this is standard or just a trust issue. My other Dr. was from the same office and he never did these tests.  I need a physician's input.  This is in NY.  Thanks
If you are under contract in a Pain Management program, then , yes, he can order testing to 1. confirm you are taking medication he prescribed to you as directed  - i.e. confirming blood levels to show that you are not taking more or less than he has prescribed
2. to confirm that you are not taking other substances- ie street drugs or obtaining drugs from other physicians or sources.
It is a much more accurate test than a typical urine screen , which can give false positives and negatives.
Sandi
I am not under contract in a pain management program and only take the same drug I've  taken for 5 years with my previous Dr.  He never tested me once.  Ten drug classes is a little over the top!
My pain management doctor does pop drug screens every so often.  There are multiple reasons for them doing it, according to my doctor.  First of all, they check to make sure you're just taking what is prescribed for you and that you're not also taking meds that you might have gotten from another doctor or could have bought on the street.  The other thing they check for is that if you are taking the prescribed meds as you are supposed to, you will have a certain level of the drug in your system.  This is necessary because many people will fake injuries to be able to get pain meds just for the purpose of selling them.  So they want to make sure that you're actually TAKING what they're giving you and not using it to supplement your income.

I suppose it's a good idea, and there are people out there who, by virtue of their dishonesty, make it necessary, but I ended up with a $40 co-pay for the testing, and it was totally unexpected because it was a surprise test!  I was less than thrilled when I came away from that doctor visit.  

Ghilly
Ten drug classes is pretty standard when they do a blood screen. As I said earlier in my first reply, they are doing it for several reasons. First being to confirm that you are taking the meds prescribed to you as directed. Secondly to confirm that you are not taking any form of street drug, or any other medication prescribed by another physician that may be a pain medication or a muscle relaxer, tranquilizer, etc...unless you have already discussed those meds with your prescribing PM.
Most PM's clinics/doctor's have a contract, although like you, I do not have one either, but I also know that I am subject to unannounced drug screens at any point.
I don't have a problem with that. They have to protect their licenses, their livelihoods, and their patients, myself included.
Sandi M
I am just curious.  If you were to test positive for cannabis but all other substances were
present or absent as prescribed, would you be refused treatment by doctor or possibly
referred for prosecution.
The reason they di these test is to COVER THEIR OWN BUTS!
if you get into trouble with the law or the dr comes under reveiw by dea they hav proof they did what they could to protect u and them

If they find pot in ur test you will be booted out
They would never find anything illegal in my blood so I don't really worry about that.  I only take one controlled substance and that is klonopin, a long acting benzo.  I take neurontin and celexa.  Not really drugs you need to worry about.  I just think the doctor could have mentioned which blood tests he ordered.  People don't often fake fibromyalgia and anxiety to get a hold of 1 1/2 mg of klonopin a day.  And that 600 mg of neurontin is less than people take for shingles. Celexa isn't any fun either.  I should be asking for a morphine drip if I'm gonna go through full drug screens periodically.