Pain Management Community
severe pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

severe pain

I had shingles with a rash last summer that lasted for 3 months.  I now have severe pain across my side and back.  It seems like the pain I had last summer only worse.  Is it  a shingles recurrence?
Hi Jodyelise,

First, I want to welcome you to the PM (Pain Management) Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. We are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our own expertise and experiences that we have developed through our own CP Issues.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are battling Shingles.  I'm fortunate that I've never had to deal with them but a Friend of mine, many years ago, used to have them constantly.  They were so terribly painful for her and almost made it impossible for her to even walk as they were all over her right calf of her leg.  I'd see her cry at work because they heurt her so much.

As I said, I don't have any experience from them personally, but from what she went through, I'd say there's definitely a possibility that you are having another round of them.  If it were me, I'd call my Doctor immediately, and get in to see him and see what's going on and try to figure out how to control your pain.

I hope that you will keep us informed on what you discover and what's going to happen.  Also, please keep us informed as to what the Doctor is going to do about your Shingles.

I'm very concerned about you and Hope and Pray that your Doctor will be able to take care of your Pain.

I'm sending you "Good Wishes" and hope you will keep us updated on what's happening!!

I'll be looking for your updates...........Sherry  ;)
Hi Jody,

Welcome to our Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your continued pain following a Shingles outbreak. I know the pain can be excruciating and my heart goes out to you.  You are not alone. Some ppl develop a condition called Postherpetic Neuralgia or PHN after Shingles.

PHN may follow shingles after the rash is gone. The rash is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox—varicella-zoster. This virus in some instances causes nerve damage. The nerve damage often leads to pain. If you have pain that last three months after an out break of Shingles the DX is often PHN.

There are medications and treatments for PHN. You don't have to suffer needlessly. Please consult your PCP.  Sometimes a neurologist can better treat you. Whatever you decide please don't ignore your symptoms. Often they won't go away on their own.

I hope you'll let us know how you are doing. We'll look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care,
~Tuck