Pain Management Community
shoulder and neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

shoulder and neck pain

About 16 months ago i begain to have pain in my right shoulder assicated with a small knot as time went on the knot got bigger and now i suffer from from pain that starts with my right shoulder but then it goes up my neck and all the way down my right arm the major pain is in my shoulder and the top part of my arm and the rest of my arm has this tigglling num feeling that is painful and as of few months ago i have a samll knot on the left sife of my shoulder with the same begaining  pain that started out on my right side. I think it might be a pinched nerve but i am not sure
Have you seen a doctor?  If not, you should.  You probably have a problem in your cervical vertebrae. But there is no way to be sure without seeing a doctor.  The dr. will probably want to do an MRI.  Your situation sounds close to my own.  I've got degenerative disc disease and have had a fusion.  But if you do have a problem and it's caught early, you probably won't need surgery.  You could do physical therapy and steroid injections.

Or you may just have a muscle spasm of some sort.  Everything will just be a guess until you see a dr.  That's the only way you'll get any relief from your pain.

Good luck.
Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. Your pain does sound like nerve pain and I am sorry that you are hurting.

The puzzling part is that your pain is bilateral. Usually nerve entrapment produces pain on one side rather than both sides, however this is not always true. At eighteen you are very young to have DDD or spine related problems but stranger this have happened. Pain knows no age.

The "knot" that you refer to can occur from the pain alone. Our muscle sometimes develop knots in a reaction to the pain. When I have a flare I have numerous knots up and down my leg. This may not be the cause of your knots at all. It's impossible to guess what actually may be happening.I also have several cysts in my upper buttocks that a surgeon told me was common in persons that have SIJ Dysfunction. They are basically harmless but can and do cause discomfort.

Have you thought of carpal tunnel? I have had in and had some shoulder pain with it but it also effected my arms and two fingers. However my friend's pain was confined almost totaly to her shoulders and arms.

As Sara suggested it is time to consult your PCP. Don't ignore your symptoms or wait until permanent damage is done. Your PCP is your best source at determining the cause of your pain.

I hope you will let us know how your appointment goes and what you find out. We will look forward to your updates. Best of luck to you.

Take Care,
~Tuck  
I have had unbearable pain in my right shoulder going down my right arm been  going on about 2 weeks now and doesn't seem to be getting any better could some one please let me no why this is thanks