Pain Management Community
soma vs baclofen??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

soma vs baclofen??

Hello everyone. I am not really a new member, but I havent posted here in a few months. I have a question about a medicine that the doctor wants to put me on.

Right now I am on soma 3X a day, and now my insurance wont pay for it and the doctors want to put me on baclofen instead.

Has anyone here tried this new drug baclofen? If so what sort of side effects did you have? The reason I ask is because my fiance tells me that the soma makes me a zombie and baclofen is in the same sort of catergory as soma.

If anyone can relate or knows about baclofen can you please answer my question or give me some kind of feed back?
Thank you,
Aurora
          Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable
Baclofen is not new. I have used it for 10 years, secondary to MS muscle pain and tremors. It is highly addictive, so be aware. You will enjoy it's effects if Soma Helped.
Beware all, this forum is full of bad info.

Baclofen is actually used to help get off addictive drugs,...

"Use in Addiction & Physical Dependence"
Baclofen is being researched for use in people addicited to alcohol and opioids and possibly benzodiazepine withdrawal and the craving and breakdown in self-control in recovering cocaine addicts. The effect on the latter is apparently much like that of clonidine whereas the mechanism in reducing cocaine craving (as seen in self-administration of cocaine in lab aminals &c.) appears to be a newly-discovered pharmacological effect.

Another one is Clonidine. Relax, baclofen is a great drug and few if any side effects.
If you are suspicious of an answer, just google it, I found this at the reliable,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baclofen

another good one is rxlist.com, even has a feature to tell what a pill is from the shape,color and markings. Also drugs.com.

D
I HAVE BEEN ON BACLOFEN FOR SPASMS ASSOCIATED WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,THIS MED IS NOT ADDICTIVE.

WITH BACLOFEN,YOU CAN NOT ABRUBTLY STOP,IT DOES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE SEIZURES WHEN STOPPED WITHOUT A TAPER DOWN.

ITS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE FOR MANY,BUT EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO MEDICINES.
You must have mistyped since you clearly think Baclofen is addictive. I think you meant to say,...
I HAVE BEEN ON BACLOFEN FOR SPASMS ASSOCIATED WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,THIS MED IS ADDICTIVE.
Give me a link that shows this, I find just the opposite to be true. Now if you have epilepsy or an other seizure disorder and Baclofen is controlling it, then yes, you wouldnt stop taking it. I dont think Baclofen alone is used for stopping seizures. It is a muscle relaxant and those in pain can take it and stop and there is no withdrawal. I dont think you mean to use the word ADDICTIVE, that would apply to opiates, cocaine, and the like.
Again, if you are taking it for back pain and then you get 10mg 3X/day, you can easily stop it. The woman that started this post is suffering from pain, not seizures since she is comparing Soma with Baclofen. Also note that ALL CAPS means you are yelling in email etiquette and no one likes that. If you have FACTS, LINKS, hit me with them.

Dave
Baclofen is not addictive- BUT you can become dependent on it.. It isn't addictive in the sense that once your off, your brain will make you do irrational things to get more- like opioids.  Any drug for epilepsy or seizures can kill you if you don't taper off. I think the reason the OP is even being switched is because it's also a muscle relaxer, but Soma is addicting. There's a difference between addiction and dependence. Oh- and OP- I think you will be disappointed in the switch originally, but given time, Baclofen will work much better. You will still be Zombie -like until you get used to it, then it should lessen.
I am suffering from (Hereditary) Spastic Parapeligia, & was put on Baclofen for quite awhile.  I didn't notice any improvement for the symptoms I was seeking.  I switched to SOMA, which helped a lot (generic form is used because of insurance.) Though night symptoms persisted.  Now, I use Baclofen to get through the night & SOMA (gen) for my walking during the day.  (Though no doctor suggested the combo.)
VlietSteve:

This is a really old post and the poster is not around anymore. Please start a new thread or post with your question or comment on the subject.

Molly