Pain Management Community
soma vs baclofen??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

soma vs baclofen??

Hello everyone. I am not really a new member, but I havent posted here in a few months. I have a question about a medicine that the doctor wants to put me on.

Right now I am on soma 3X a day, and now my insurance wont pay for it and the doctors want to put me on baclofen instead.

Has anyone here tried this new drug baclofen? If so what sort of side effects did you have? The reason I ask is because my fiance tells me that the soma makes me a zombie and baclofen is in the same sort of catergory as soma.

If anyone can relate or knows about baclofen can you please answer my question or give me some kind of feed back?
Thank you,
Aurora
          Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable
Baclofen is not new. I have used it for 10 years, secondary to MS muscle pain and tremors. It is highly addictive, so be aware. You will enjoy it's effects if Soma Helped.
Beware all, this forum is full of bad info.

Baclofen is actually used to help get off addictive drugs,...

"Use in Addiction & Physical Dependence"
Baclofen is being researched for use in people addicited to alcohol and opioids and possibly benzodiazepine withdrawal and the craving and breakdown in self-control in recovering cocaine addicts. The effect on the latter is apparently much like that of clonidine whereas the mechanism in reducing cocaine craving (as seen in self-administration of cocaine in lab aminals &c.) appears to be a newly-discovered pharmacological effect.

Another one is Clonidine. Relax, baclofen is a great drug and few if any side effects.
If you are suspicious of an answer, just google it, I found this at the reliable,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baclofen

another good one is rxlist.com, even has a feature to tell what a pill is from the shape,color and markings. Also drugs.com.

D
I HAVE BEEN ON BACLOFEN FOR SPASMS ASSOCIATED WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,THIS MED IS NOT ADDICTIVE.

WITH BACLOFEN,YOU CAN NOT ABRUBTLY STOP,IT DOES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE SEIZURES WHEN STOPPED WITHOUT A TAPER DOWN.

ITS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE FOR MANY,BUT EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO MEDICINES.
You must have mistyped since you clearly think Baclofen is addictive. I think you meant to say,...
I HAVE BEEN ON BACLOFEN FOR SPASMS ASSOCIATED WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,THIS MED IS ADDICTIVE.
Give me a link that shows this, I find just the opposite to be true. Now if you have epilepsy or an other seizure disorder and Baclofen is controlling it, then yes, you wouldnt stop taking it. I dont think Baclofen alone is used for stopping seizures. It is a muscle relaxant and those in pain can take it and stop and there is no withdrawal. I dont think you mean to use the word ADDICTIVE, that would apply to opiates, cocaine, and the like.
Again, if you are taking it for back pain and then you get 10mg 3X/day, you can easily stop it. The woman that started this post is suffering from pain, not seizures since she is comparing Soma with Baclofen. Also note that ALL CAPS means you are yelling in email etiquette and no one likes that. If you have FACTS, LINKS, hit me with them.

Dave
Baclofen is not addictive- BUT you can become dependent on it.. It isn't addictive in the sense that once your off, your brain will make you do irrational things to get more- like opioids.  Any drug for epilepsy or seizures can kill you if you don't taper off. I think the reason the OP is even being switched is because it's also a muscle relaxer, but Soma is addicting. There's a difference between addiction and dependence. Oh- and OP- I think you will be disappointed in the switch originally, but given time, Baclofen will work much better. You will still be Zombie -like until you get used to it, then it should lessen.
I am suffering from (Hereditary) Spastic Parapeligia, & was put on Baclofen for quite awhile.  I didn't notice any improvement for the symptoms I was seeking.  I switched to SOMA, which helped a lot (generic form is used because of insurance.) Though night symptoms persisted.  Now, I use Baclofen to get through the night & SOMA (gen) for my walking during the day.  (Though no doctor suggested the combo.)
VlietSteve:

This is a really old post and the poster is not around anymore. Please start a new thread or post with your question or comment on the subject.

Molly
I think people are playing semantics when saying it's not addictive but withdrawal can be rough.now I feel this is because drs and dea have been putting chronic pain patients and drug addicts in the same conversations and this has to stop.I'm tired of losing people to forced suicide by Dr and seeing they accidentally overdosed.they were forced to suicide by this horrible trend of abusing pain patients and treating us like criminals for demanding proper pain control.And God help you if you have dealt with chronic pain and actually know what you need and how much through years of hell.And trial and error because as soon as you opiates saved my life and let's me have quality of life.your labelled a drug seeker and black listed.how dare you say what you need you druggie.um,yes I am seeking these pills to allow me to work and be a mom.and live with dignity.I still am never pain free but if you dont hear.me I'll be unable to walk or work.I can't pick up my Little ones,they can't hug me and at times I can't even have them talk to me.and PAIN  has this horrible effect of causing this ***** alter personality to be short and say get them out so they don't see me like this.for someone who had good drs who gave me the ability to self guide my pain management so I could live with as much dignity as possible to drs who've ripped away my life.it's unfair and cruel.I've had fibromyalgia,then lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for 17 years.I built and ran a world wide business helping children with autism and other disabilities and illnesses.I've been in medicine and psychology and therapy for 27years.I lost my dr to a move he made to the cancer treatment center.now I hope I show cancer so I can go to him so I can be treated with trust and respect and dignity as I deserve.I have been resistant to meds and require high amounts.not my fault.but I've never asked for more than I needed but was never been afraid to ask for what I required til this year.I'm now considering suicide because I'm not being heard and feel as though I'm being judged and chastised for not responding to what isn't working and saying I know it won't but am being forced to go through this again after year's of finally finding what works.it's unfair and cruel.a dr should not be a dea agent and vice versa and you shouldn't wear the hats at the same time.this sudden mistrust of patients is disgusting and having a conversation putting pain patients and drug addicts in the same sentence has to stop.you are murdering us.I've lost 8 people in two years to suicide.all were claimed to pad your accidental overdose numbers.a chronic pain patient is not going to accidentally overdose.we are med surg or injury.we aren't new or short term takers of these meds and we aren't accidentally overdosing.stop using us to dispose of us like we are disposable and inconvenient.shame on you.